Sign in to follow this  
Ghost

Appetite Increasing Foods?

Here's the thing. Every time I don't eat foods with a reasonably high carb content, there's something in my body that just hits a killswitch on my appetite, which physically stops me from eating enough calories to facilitate muscle growth past 75kg.

And I'm totally serious. At the moment if I just eat when I'm hungry, I'm lucky to get 2500 kcal per day, and that's during training days when I'm squatting 10x3! :wacko:

So far what I've found is that drinking about a liter of milk with every meal seems to do the trick, also honeyed water helps to eat more too. Strangely enough, coke, with its high sugar content doesn't seem to have the same effect. I know wheat has gliadin which is an appetite stimulant but with all the other crap that comes with it, I plan to stay far away from grains.

I was wondering if anyone here might've stumbled into something like this before or just happens to know, let's say, less damaging foods that I could eat or drink to increase my appetite.

simple sugars are your best bet, outside of wheat. Coke has HFCS so might not have the same impact. Artificial sweeteners tend to make people fairly hungry, as does increased salt consumption.

Here in Finland, they use sugar in coke instead of HFCS. :)

Didn't know about salt consumption. Might give it a try as I love salty foods.

"2 ounces of red wine and an egg yolk half an hour before a meal" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Don't forget alcohol! That's great for increasing appetite - we seem to eat more at meals when we're drinking.

That seems to be fairly common. Quick digesting carbs like sugars, etc. will cause the pancreas to react and spike the insulin--in proportion to how much of a glycimic impact there is. In people who are insulin resistant (usually sedentary with way to high a carb content routinely in their diet), the excess sugar gets packed away in fat because there is no place else for it to go. Blood sugars tend to overcompensate in this situation, and the body sends the signals that it is hungry again. Now, if you are not insulin resistant--which by all indications is the case--the extra sugar goes to feed your muscles and organs.

So, yes, increasing the quick carb content will help you increase your appetite. In general it is best to have a mixture of quick and slow digesting carbs. If you keep the slow digesting ones for the last meal of the day, you should be good for all night long. While processed carb sources like simple sugar and glucose are usually quickly digested, and most complex carbs like whole wheat and oats are slowly digested, this is not a hard fast rule. The Glycemic Impact (GI) of food is the better indication. Unfortunately GI information is rather limited--and really is affected by other carb sources within the same meal.

Don't forget alcohol! That's great for increasing appetite - we seem to eat more at meals when we're drinking.

I think that's as much a social construct as it is a psychological one.

Apparently a combination of salt, carbs and fat apparently signal us to eat more.