Sign in to follow this  
lunamud

Strength Standards For Women

I've love being on this site. The support is incredible and there is a lot of good information to be gained from this community. I also really appreciate being able to see the other women's logs and maxes. There are so few women that actually lift that it is hard to determine if you are making acceptable progress or not without this sort of comparison. While being the strongest women in the gym can feel nice, it doesn’t help you push your limits like being able to compare yourself to others that actually share your passion. I've only been on this site about a month but I can already tell that my progress has accelerated. Being on this site also causes me to mourn time that could have been better spent-but that's another post.

I would like to share strength standards with you and also hear any feedback you may have or see any other sources you have as well.

This set of standards strokes my ego.

This article compares several different sets of standards and shows me I have a long way to go.

If you want some tougher standard, see this page. It made me laugh anyway, particularly the proportional upper body strength.

If you want some tougher standard, see this page. It made me laugh anyway, particularly the proportional upper body strength.

That's crazy! Those are pretty unrealistic numbers all the way around. Where did you find that? I just figured a beginner's squat at my weight and it ended up being more than bodyweight. I've never of heard an untrained women coming in and squatting more than BW.

I like the gubernatrix standards, but I think the press and bench are a little low in comparison to the other numbers. I also wish she had standards that started below "good" since she says it should take between 6 months and 2 years to reach "good". I keep a copy of her comparison chart in my paper log even though I weigh more than the 60 kg she uses for it. I would also be interested in finding some sort of formula that accounts for age. I don't think the standards for a 20 year old should be the same as a 60 year old.

You might prefer these standards. I use the exrx ones which seem reasonable to me other than for Power Cleans and Snatches. You could just use Wilks numbers. 235 for intermediate, 325 for advanced and 415 for elite for the 3 main lifts, they take into account gender and bodyweight anyway. That bodybuilding link I read on wannabebig anyway, they're the most ambitious set of standards I've heard about.

Interesting stuff, Mud. I like gubernatrix's standards that are a % of BW, but I agree that her upper body standards seem a bit low. You asked about age-adjusted standards, which I wrote about in my blog a while ago. Here's the link -- http://fivestrong.net/?p=546 I understand the logic behind age-adjusted standards -- your body naturally starts losing muscle mass when you reach a certain age, so lifting becomes a bit of an uphill battle -- but they feel like a cop-out to me. Still, they're useful when I need an ego boost.:)

Interesting post regarding strength.

Susan Devoy the world champion squash player (for many years) competed in the men's competitions when in NZ to challenge herself as the woman here were no match for her.

Cathy Millen was awesomely strong and managed these weights (260.0+162.5+260.0=682.5 kg. @ 88.4 kg.) I saw her compete in a power lifting competition and she was way stronger than most of the guys. I was amazed and would love this total.

I also had the pleasure of training with the NZ woman's body building champ when her training partner wasn't there as we went to the same gym. She could bench more than me at the time. I couldn't bench 100kg back then but she could. She did have a lot of facial hair though!

I suggest that if you are the strongest woman at your gym you could do something similar.

I found my strength improved when I changed gyms and saw the weights being lifted compared to where I used to go.

We have the net to find inspiration. Just a few links below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY7go2rlqB4&feature=related

Interesting stuff, Mud. I like gubernatrix's standards that are a % of BW, but I agree that her upper body standards seem a bit low. You asked about age-adjusted standards, which I wrote about in my blog a while ago. Here's the link -- http://fivestrong.net/?p=546 I understand the logic behind age-adjusted standards -- your body naturally starts losing muscle mass when you reach a certain age, so lifting becomes a bit of an uphill battle -- but they feel like a cop-out to me. Still, they're useful when I need an ego boost. :)

I agree with what you say about the age standards being a bit of a cop out, but only if you have been lifting seriously/consistently before reaching those ages. I believe the reason people begin losing muscle later in life is because they aren't using it. I think these are fairly good general standards for people that didn't begin lifting/fitness until later in life. Although, it seems that we should see a little less variation after individuals pass the novice stage.