Sign in to follow this  
bluestreak

Xmas Meals - What's Everyone 'bulking Up' With This Season?

We have a diverse international group of people. So what wonderful food will people be enjoying this Christmas?

Down here in New Zealand, it's summer. Weather is just fantastic recently: around 20 C, not a cloud in the sky, slight breeze.

For lunch we've got the traditional Christmas ham at mother-in-law's house. Free protein!!!

For supper we've got lamb chops on the BBQ, summer salads and pavlova with creme and strawberries for desert.

Lasagna, brownies, and red velvet cake. OMNOM.

I am in the UK, and I will be tucking into the following meal (what is traditional in my part of the world)

Starter - Prawn Cocktail

Dinner - Turkey, Roast Potatoes, Vegetables, Gravy, Redcurrant sauce.

Dessert - Raspberry Pavlova

Later on in the day - A cheese board with crackers.

Northern Ireland here...

Il be tucking into the following

No starter lol

Turkey, potatoes (mashed and roasties) boiled peas, stuffing, carrots, brussel sprouts, ham, sausages and cranberry sauce.

Mince pies and ice cream for afters.

Later that night il prob have a load more turkey and ham with stuffing.

All good grub and oh my I cannae wait.

Northern Ireland here...

Il be tucking into the following

No starter lol

Turkey, potatoes (mashed and roasties) boiled peas, stuffing, carrots, brussel sprouts, ham, sausages and cranberry sauce.

Mince pies and ice cream for afters.

Later that night il prob have a load more turkey and ham with stuffing.

All good grub and oh my I cannae wait.

Enjoy Adrian - as odd as it sounds, if I don't have Prawn cocktail to start, no amount of Turkey will convince me its a xmas dinner :P

Lobster at a friends house tonight.

Roast beast with mashed potatoes and asparagus tomorrow. Eggnog!

Hmm, USA: ham, rabbit, turkey, baked ziti, mashed potatoes, rolls, veggies, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie. Note: this is a whole weekend of food represented here.

I did prime-prime rib, Yorkshire puddings (cheers to you lot across the Pond for this), Brussels sprouts with glazed chestnuts, collard greens with bacon, roast squash, and baked potatoes for Christmas dinner. Went over well.

Ham and baconey brussels sprouts. Our favorite! Also massive quantities of bacon, dippy eggs, hashbrowns and steak. Seems like we eat breakfast for lunch and dinner most vacation days. Also "so delicious" egg nog which, while tasty, is NO substitute for the real thing sadly.

We had turkey, beef, pork, pigs in blanket (sausages wrapped in bacon), roast potatoes, carrots, sprouts (yuk), cranberry sauce, apple sauce, stuffing, gravy. Then christmas pudding with brandy cream and a bit of fruit cake too :P

Not too shabby.

Smoked/cured wild boar.

Dinner: Beef tenderloin w/horseradish sauce, Alaskan king crab legs w/melted butter, smashed potatoes, green beans.

Dessert: 5 different types of cookies & cheese cake.

Beverage: Way, way too much Malbec and Coquito (Puerto Rican egg nog)

New Year's Eve is spinach salad w/a warm creamy bacon dressing, more crab legs dipped in butter and seared scallops.

I'm actually getting tired of food!

What I wanted: Burnt ends, smoked ribs and or briskit all smothered in BBQ sauce, french fries, baked beans and lots of cold beer. :D

What I got: Turkey, Ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, dinner rolls and chocolate pie. :(

Bulgaria:

Late lunch - kapama: All of this in a huuuge pot - sauerkraut, pork chops and steaks, two kinds of sausage, bacon, stuffed chicken, stuffed sauerkraut leaves with rice and minced meat. Salads and sides plus lots of red wine, beer and grape brandy :)

Oooh kapama! My friend Zzyus used to make it with dried apricots thrown in as well.

What I wanted: Burnt ends, smoked ribs and or briskit all smothered in BBQ sauce, french fries, baked beans and lots of cold beer. :D

What I got: Turkey, Ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, dinner rolls and chocolate pie. :(

Oh my what you wanted sounds delish

Bulgaria:

Late lunch - kapama: All of this in a huuuge pot - sauerkraut, pork chops and steaks, two kinds of sausage, bacon, stuffed chicken, stuffed sauerkraut leaves with rice and minced meat. Salads and sides plus lots of red wine, beer and grape brandy :)

Grape brandy FTW

Oooh kapama! My friend Zzyus used to make it with dried apricots thrown in as well.

Nice tip, gotta try that! Sometimes we put raisins inside the stuffed cabbage leaves.

Grape brandy FTW

For sure! :D

Bulgaria:

Which oven fits such a thing? Is it one of those big outdoor ones like we have in Greece with fire?

Smoked/cured wild boar.

I'm very very curious.

Not much to it. A cousin has a wild boar farm and gave my dad one (a boar) as a present for his 60th birthday. The freezer at my parents is filled with boar meat now. :lol:

It's freaking delicious though, if you ever get a chance, get some. Way better than pork.

Which oven fits such a thing? Is it one of those big outdoor ones like we have in Greece with fire?

We make it in a regular oven, the pot barely fits inside. But the original recipe calls for ceramic pot and fire oven indeed.

Boar meat is very tasty, I've tried meatballs and they were DELICIOUS! I guess it would taste even better if you spend the whole day in the mountains hunting it :)