Sign in to follow this  
pinkbutterflie

Strong Lift Program And Post Pregnancy

Hello Everyone,

I just signed up tonight.. I found this site by way of The Strong Lift site.. I read the information about the 5x5 strength training program on the strong lift site and it all seems good.. What I want to know is it seems like this program is geared towards men. Are there any women using this strength training method with success? I also would like to know how would this program work for a woman who just had a baby and would like to get back into shape?

Thank you

pinkbutterflie

StrongLifts is geared towards men because that is the owner's marketing angle. SL 5 x 5 should work well for most beginners. I haven't personally used the program, but there are several women on here that have. What is your current fitness level and fitness history?

Also, this question might be better placed in the "Strength Training for Women" area.

@ Scott - That's a good little thread.

@ Pink -

I'm going to assume that you did NOT have a c-section, or if you did you have completely healed by now. I'm also going to assume that your goals are to lose fat and gain muscle, giving yourself a more firm body. As a beginner, you are very lucky because you should be able to do those two things at the same time for a little while. In any case, your diet is going to be a large factor in your success. (Oh, how I struggle with that myself!) You need to make sure you are fueling yourself properly for your new activity. You will need to eat a good deal of calories and protein. Many women struggle with eating enough, but that has never been a problem for me; I loooooove to eat!

BUT, back to SL 5x5. Barbell lifting is a lot of fun! I hope you grow to love it as much as I do. It is both challenging and rewarding. You need to make sure you are doing the lifts correctly. Mehdi has some good basic info on how to do the lifts of his SL site. Read those. Also, read this: Starting Strength: FAQs. If you like it and you really want to get super detailed information (e.g. 50+ pages on how to squat) buy the book. If you want an easy read geared towards women that have no experience lifting and also has diet advice, I would recommend The New Rules of Lifting for Women.

I'm curious; do you have a barbell at home or will you be at a gym?

Oh, and check out these two blogs! They have great lifting information and are written by women.

Stumptuous

Gubernatrix

+1 to everything Lunamud wrote.

5x5 does work for women, we just tend to progress a little slower than the guys.