Sign in to follow this  
NeilPorter

Euro 2012 Draw

Well I think the group draw was favourable and expect we can definitely qualify, not easily like seems to be the assumption but we can get through it.

Then it's 3 hard games - but if you want to win a tournament you need to beat some good sides.

Very odd decision by Capello to stay at the same base in Kiev and subject the team to trips of 900 and 500 miles for games. Now I am no expert - but this cannot possibly be a good choice.

Why the fuck not stay in Ukraine for the group games where they are playing all 3 groups games - and if they won the group they would ONLY play a semi final in Poland - all other games including the final would be in Ukraine!!! In the middle of Donetsk and Kiev would be optimal.

That is the sort of mindless reasoning that will be trotted out as an excuse if things go pear shaped.

I feel very strongly about this in all truth - you need to make sure the team has as much chance as possible and repeated journeys to games are not the way of doing that. That is hours spent travelling that could be used on rest and training. Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Well, Germany got a pretty tough group, but I´m sure we´ll do well again. Germany is a tournament-team after all!

Well, Germany got a pretty tough group, but I´m sure we´ll do well again. Germany is a tournament-team after all!

Germany are a very strong side - along with Spain a 100% win ratio in the group stages makes them a top contender..as well as the fact that as you say they are just a good tournament team.

I just hope and pray that if England play them at any point we don't get the same woeful performance we had at the WC - where they completely turned us over, Germany played very well that day and made us look like a pub team.

Euro Draw for those who missed it... :)

Germany played very well that day and made us look like a pub team.

The ref and linesman didn't help that day, not that it would have made much difference.

I don't expect much from England, still hope they surprise me, in a good way. :)

I was hoping for Group A but D doesn't look too bad, certainly it looks easier that C and especially B.

Very odd decision by Capello to stay at the same base in Kiev and subject the team to trips of 900 and 500 miles for games. Now I am no expert - but this cannot possibly be a good choice.

I think they said that these are only a couple of hours flying time from our base so it shouldn't be much different to any normal away game. It does seem odd to choose somewhere before the draw took place though, typical England.

The France game will be tough, our recent record against them is poor. We should be beating Sweden and Ukraine though if we are going to make an impact on the tournament. But I can't see us getting much further than the quarter finals we just don't have good enough players anymore, not that the supposed 'golden generation' of the last 10 years or so did much anyway. We seems to serious problems with squad unity which always crop up around tournament time.

Spain have to be favourites, Germany always do well in the major tournaments and destroyed us 2 years ago. The Dutch are also strong though I hope they improve their style after the World Cup Final. Haven't looked at any odds yet though.

Pretty nice groups, good for England at least. I really hope to see Steven Gerrard in an England jersey again, but he hasn't been fit/not-injured in quite some time. He'll be back in the Liverpool squad again after christmas, hope he shows Capello what he's made of. Besides that I think the England squad is quite dependant on Mr Rooney, hope he's in shape for EC even though I kind of hate him :P

England has P22 W7 D9 L6 against Sweden. Their first victory for 43 years was a friendly and they have never beaten them in an official competition.

I'd certainly prefer Zlatan Ibrahimovic as my centre forward. Here are links to his 100 goals in Serie A.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7njyGEK5g10

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMrUrlJT_Y0

I follow Portugal and they will struggle in their group unless Ronaldo performs.

England has P22 W7 D9 L6 against Sweden. Their first victory for 43 years was a friendly and they have never beaten them in an official competition.

I'd certainly prefer Zlatan Ibrahimovic as my centre forward. Here are links to his 100 goals in Serie A.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7njyGEK5g10

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMrUrlJT_Y0

I follow Portugal and they will struggle in their group unless Ronaldo performs.

yes oddly the Sweden game is the one that is going to swing the group, I think we will draw with France, beat Ukraine, and its down to that game that will decide whether we get through or not...they are a real bogey side for us...

Indeed our record against Sweden is rather poor. I don't rate Ibrahimovic at all though, he has always been useless whenever I watch him play against English opposition domestically and internationally.