Sign in to follow this  
NeilPorter

Ok People - When Is The Best Time To Train?

OK People - when is the best time to train?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Lets get everyones opinions - When is the best workout time (and why it works for you)

• Morning (Before 12 Noon)
    • Afternoon (12-5pm)
    • Evening (5pm - midnight)

During my military years, physical fitness training always happened in the early morning which I always dreaded. Evening at between 7-8 pm seems to work best for me. This gives me some time to unwind from work, get dinner with the wife out of the way, take care of my dogs and then it is me time.

In a perfect world I would eat a huge breakfast at 8 a.m. and train at 10 or eat a huge lunch at noon and train at 3 p.m. I was able to do this over the summer- made me feel like a king.

I just read this on tnation from a q&a with Charles Poliquin and thought it would make a good addition to this thread.

Q: Assuming a person has a choice, is there a best time of day to weight train?

A: Actually, there are two, based on circadian rhythms: three hours and 11 hours after you wake up.

However, your body will adjust its cycle to fit your pattern. For example, if you always wake up at 6 A.M. and train at 7 A.M., that doesn't fit the circadian rhythms. But if you're consistent and you always train at that time, your body will adjust.

In 1982, I was part of a study group that went to Russia. I asked a former world-champion Greco-Roman wrester, who was also an M.D., what one thing Westerners should change about their training.

He didn't even hesitate: we need to be more methodical, he told me. Sometimes we train in the morning, sometimes at three in the afternoon. We need a more established rhythm.

In my experience, having a regular training time is very important. So for the average guy with a job, he'll see better results if he picks a training time and sticks with it, instead of training before work sometimes, at lunch sometimes, or after work sometimes.

When you screw around with your times, you screw around with your results.

• Upvote 1

jpez, there is a lot of truth in your post. I am a creature of habit and have my days and times set for lifting. For me, it seems that anything out of my normal routine throws everything off.

I train directly after work, which works best for me. Start shortly after 4 pm, finish around 5:30-5:45.

I think that is quite valid Jpez - I train at 6pm Tues/Thurs (straight from work) and Sundays it is either 1pm or 6:30pm alternate weeks...so a fairly set routine. Have found the odd time when the sunday session moves forward from 1pm to 10-11am, it is just not as good.

Nice find John! Guess that's why I'm able to train so early, simply because I always do and have adjusted to it! Makes a lot of sense. So not when you train is not so much the issue, but how consistently you train at the same time. Nice!

Good point jpez.

I remember seeing the same established somewhere else and mentioned around 10% performance improvement by sticking to the same times training.

I've always prefered after work, whatever time that might be. Mornings mean I either have to get up earlier or be worried about getting ALL of my workout in before work.

after work, I don't have to worry about it, just do my thing, not hurry

I voted evening, but that's only to fit in with lifestyles. Ideally I'd train at about 4pm, which would let me get a good pre workout meal in and then pig out post workout with a couple of decent meals.

I might need to try these early morning routines

There are special offers at certain times at gym

I would love to roll out of bed and start training, it's the best moment in my schedule. However, I read a lot of info regarding that the spine is hydrated and is not as stable until at least 1 hour after not lying. So, not risking anything, I train in the afternoon.

One of the reasons I prefer evenings, as well. Right after work I'm pretty warmed up, too

Morning for me. Up at 6am and in the garage by 6:30. Back in the house by 7:30 to give my kids breakfast.

I used to train in the evening, but found work/family life often interfered and my consistency was terrible.

I usually start training at 11-12 midnight and may finish at 1 in the morning.

It's usually the last thing I do in the day. I find I can better focus when I'm not thinking about things that have to get done.

The best workout time is THE ONE YOU CAN STICK WITH.

For me, that's currently working out during a late lunch break a couple of times a week (usually around 1:00 pm); I've also added a couple of evening Farmers Walk sessions. I get a regular schedule, and it doesn't interfere too much with work and family time.

Mornings for me. Up at 5:30, coffee, orange, and egg/milk/whey shake for breakfast, and I'm in the gym by 6:15. I usually make it into work shortly after 8. I do it this way for many reasons:

• avoid the after work rush at the gym
    • people/crowds make me uncomfortable

[*]equipment is almost always available

[*]extremely rare for me to have an early morning conflict that keeps me from getting to the gym

[*]harder to find excuses to skip (other than "waahh, I'm tiiiiirred")

[*]it's the hardest thing I'll have to do all day

• nice to start the day with a sense of accomplishment

[*]Plenty of time afterwards to stuff food down my throat

[*]leaves my evenings open for whatever comes up

• and stuff always comes up, planned or otherwise

I usually train when I can, so that can be at any time out of nowhere if I want.

My favorite time to workout, certainly may not be the best time for some people, is in the afternoon during lunch. I like to train fasted and this is the best time for me to workout. Also by the end of the day i'm so tired that I just want to make dinner and chill out instead of getting amped to workout.

generally like going right after I wake up, if I work out later on in the day I don't sleep as well that night. Also easier to manage for me to just workout in the morning and get on with the rest of the day

After the heat waves this summer I started training in the morning to avoid the heat in the arvo.

Worst training ever. Waiting an hour before squatting was pretty gay. Lifts weren't easy and deadlifts were shot. I wake up in the morning to eat. That's about the only reason I wake up in the morning. To wake up and go 110% was never going to work

That's my opinion. Arvo are better. It's a great time to get agro and bend some metal

(null)

Maybe it's a stupid question, but do you guys ever experience back pain in the mornings? After a good night of sleep my back and legs usually feel tight and stiff. I've also heard *somewhere* that you back needs like an hour to 'rehydrate' after a night of sleep, before you go work out.

My best workouts come when I train around 11, 11:30 AM. Get that first meal in, let it digest, and go.

Tuesday and Thursdays session are always after work around 4.45pm and Sundays is 9am. I find that I work better in the early evening rather than morning. I train early on a sunday morn just to get it out of the way and to spend time with my family.

Evening sessions I do get a bit hungry because I havent ate since midday so Il maybe try to get food into me about a couple of hours or so before I train.

Good topiic Neil cheers for starting it lol

Maybe it's a stupid question, but do you guys ever experience back pain in the mornings? After a good night of sleep my back and legs usually feel tight and stiff. I've also heard *somewhere* that you back needs like an hour to 'rehydrate' after a night of sleep, before you go work out.

I've trained in the early morning not too long after waking up. Your spine is longer in the morning (thus making you taller) because it has decompressed over night as it hasn't had to deal with gravity in a vertical plane.

When I used to train in the early early morning I would often wake up earlier than intended and get moving right away to give me sometime until everything was ready. I also took extra care while warming up.

I can't say what I experienced was pain in the morning but more of a stiffness in my back, which i would focus on getting rid of so that the training session wouldn't be a dud.