Sign in to follow this  
NeilPorter

Ok People - When Is The Best Time To Train?

OK People - when is the best time to train?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Lets get everyones opinions - When is the best workout time (and why it works for you)

• Morning (Before 12 Noon)
    • Afternoon (12-5pm)
    • Evening (5pm - midnight)

Just out of curiosity I would love to get everyones opinions - When is the best workout time (and why does it work for you?)

For me - it is evening, because I find I have had the chance to intake a huge amount of food in the day to fuel the session...

I like to train first thing in the morning.

1) I wake up early naturally, so it puts that time to good use. It's also the most awake I will be all day.

2) Everything I eat during the day is post-workout.

3) Whilst the morning gym folk are all sound, the evening lot are the worst type of people going.

I also train first thing in the morning before work

I wake up at 4:30am...(usually asleep before 9pm) to give enough time for breakfast to go down. Start training around 6:15am when the gym opens.

Agree with Greg - Morning gym folk are usually sound - and there's less of them which in a small gym like mine is important...only one power cage!

I work graveyard shift.

So for me it's not specifically what time I train.

My best workout session is AFTER i wake-up.

That can be early in the morning or early at night depending if I worked or not.

Like Neil, it's evening for me. Sometimes if I train on Saturday or Sunday, I prefer late afternoon - 3 or 4 pm. The gym is practically empty at that time and I really enjoy the workout.

Afternoon for me. My work schedule dictates that I must be up at 6 a.m. If I want to try to get 10 hours sleep I have to be asleep at 8 p.m. I need time after my session to cook, and eat, and wind down. So that pretty much means I lift in the afternoon, 5pm at the latest. I tried morning sessions but that not only makes a stupid schedule (sleeping way to early at night) I'm also not energetic enough at 4 a.m.

Guest ExperimentB76z

I hate training in the evening, which I'm forced to do at the moment. Much prefer first thing in the morning (well, about 9 ish after a few hours of being awake).

Afternoon for me is always the most productive, although my schedule rarely allows it. 1 or 2pm after I've had enough time to wake up, eat some food, shake out the morning stiffness and before I start getting lazy in the evening.

Evening for me, gives me a chance to get all my calories in for a big session.

My only early session is squats on a weekend and they never feel as good as when I used to squat midweek on Stronglifts/Texas.

Late afternoon / evening...I usually start at 4 or 5pm. I´m mostly done with work by then and can concentrate on lifting exclusively. I´ve probably just gotten used to doing my training at that time, though...with enough transitioning time I could probably also work just as well in the morning.

For me, ideal time is after 4:00pm. It's right after work, and since I get there early I can leave early as long as I get my full 8 hours in. 4:00 is early enough that I can at least get my squats in the power rack before the crossfit monkeys start hanging from them them for the "gymnastic" routines (and I say that very liberally). I still see lots of half-squats at 135lb and the skinny guy is shaking like a leaf. But, I'm done and can get on with my evening which is also usually packed.

Lately, due to a change in schedule for this time of year, I had to go to the gym later--around 8:00pm. The folks here at that time are much more serious, and you'll see 315lb squats to depth for reps. The problem is that by the time I'm done with my Tuesday routine it is past 10:00pm and I'm wired for another 2-3 hours afterwards. Not good for sleep.

Saturday I tend to get to the gym around 10:00am. If the gym is doing a promo, it's a zoo. When they introduced the Zumba class, it was a straight up circus. Tons of vendors selling crap, one of the basketball courts was taken up for all the people shaking their money makers, and a lot more people on the main floor in general. It's a monster session, but when I'm done I'm really satisfied with the work.

Anytime I can make it to the gym.:) I prefer afternoons, though. 4 p.m. is ideal.

Guest ExperimentB76z

I'm having a proper crack at this evening lifting malarkey today, making sure I have lots of calories. Pre work out snack, pasta, garlic sausage, chicken, and a peanut and jam sandwich (I might have two of those, having just eaten that one). Oh and cheese of the double Gloucester variety. And possibly some of my sons chocolate buttons.

Late morning through to late afternoon. Not a fan of the evening.

I currently train late at night (~ 9 pm) but it's either this or nothing.

I think afternoons around 4 pm are best for several reasons:

* I'm fully awake by then! Not tired/drowsy

* Had a chance to get in a fair bit of calories

* Can enjoy a nice big meal as post-training

* Best of all - kids are up and are happy to watch/take part in training. I can always use a 'coach'!

I'm strongest in the evening, but with work and a family, mornings fit with my life the best and I'm used to them. When I do the very occasional evening session I'm always surprised how much more I have than in the morning.

Oh my God Adam, are you telling me that your monster sessions are a compromised effort!? Beast.

Like Adam I find that morning training fits best with work and family life and that is when I train most of the time.

I quite like training in the evenings, but I get grief from my wife if I don't eat with the family for my evening meal, don't like training too soon after eating and don't feel comfortable with disappearing to train while my wife puts the kids to bed. This means evening training has to be pretty late for it to fit in with famlily life, and as I lift in some barns near the house with no electricity I end up lifting with camping lanterns hanging from the barn rafters. I also tend to find that busy days at work, late working and general tiredness really mess with my motivation to get off my arse and train in the evenings.

When I get that chance at weekends and on weekdays when I am not working a mid afternoon training session can make a pleasant change.

I normally train in the late evening when I get back from work, which is apparently not ideal as it can disrupt sleep.

If I'm off work then I like to workout at around 11am, so I can mix my PWO meal with lunch and stuff my face!

Late afternoon is my prefrence.

I rarely wake up on my own accord much before lunch time so this is relatively early in the day for me when i'm not going to school. This allows me enough time to get in atleast one big meal before lifting and another before going to work in the evening. I've found that training later can make me a bit drowsy and adds another large meal to my day that i rarely need for anything but the gargantuan post workout hunger

Not so much a compromised effort, you just gotta do what you gotta do. Although there is something manly about being up before the sun. Something primal. I dig it.

• Upvote 1

I'm an evening lifter (8pm-10pm). I feel a lot more focused at night compared to the mornings where I'm a bit agitated and stiff.

Plus I get to eat the whole day to fuel the workout like others have said. And its usually pretty empty at my gym around that time, which is convenient for me.

Not so much a compromised effort, you just gotta do what you gotta do. Although there is something manly about being up before the sun. Something primal. I dig it.

Come visit Iceland then, you can get up at noon and still be up an hour before the sun during the longest months :D

Iceland would be perfect for me!

I'm a morning lifter (9-10:30ish) as that's when my kids are at school & if I don't get it done in the morning, there is a high probability it won't happen.

I truly don't think I'd be able to get up in the early hours to train. I give you guys lots of credit, that takes a lot of discipline!