Sign in to follow this  
spector

Modified V-Diet (Liquid Psmf)

You passed out while squatting?! What happened? I hope you're OK...

Thanks! Yes, I'm fine.

I think I just strained too hard by taking too big a breath and holding it in, resulting in a sudden vasovagal response. Once I started to go faint my core suddenly collapsed with 250 lbs on my back. While 250 lbs is just intermediate weight it's rather frightening to fall under.

Anyway, I went to the doctor and everything checked out fine. I just had a lower back strain that happened when I fell forward from the lack of muscle control. I did my first lifting session yesterday after a week off and feel much better today.

So back to topic, I'm going to keep on my surplus diet this week and starting this coming weekend will probably be going on the this diet for a few weeks.

This may seem like a silly question but does their macro breakdown count fiber in the carbohydrate totals?

Wow, one day on the diet so far and I lost 3 lbs and 1% body fat. Must be water weight (and an empty alimentary canal), LOL. Though it makes me wonder if I did gain any real weight on my bulk cycle.

This may seem like a silly question but does their macro breakdown count fiber in the carbohydrate totals?

Yeah, count it, but make sure you get enough. You should still be hitting ~25-40g. Coconut and almond butter have a ton of fiber. And you will lose water weight very fast, yes.

Thanks, this should be an interesting experiment. I'll post my results when done. I figure I'll be on this for about 3-4 weeks.

It's the second day and my head is already spinning. I figure that should pass soon but I did have a good workout.

Is this an expensive thing to do for a month?

What's the benefit to drinking your food instead of eating it?

Would I enjoy the same kind of success if I just followed their calorie/macro guides for a month but ate solid food (along with shakes) ?

It's not that expensive if you follow spector's modification, which involves not buying overpriced supplements.

I spent a bit on some good BCAAs, some high quality vitamins (the ones they target for athletes), spirulina and a high quality protein blend. On the flip side I won't be getting many other groceries besides bananas, coconut and berries.

I think it just makes it easier to time and target macro totals and get good nutrients in a low calorie package. It would be hard tor me to get that much protein compared to the fat and carbs eating normally.

As I sit here writing this I'm feeling rather stuffed on my last shake.

It has been exactly one week now and I'm down 7 lbs in weight. However, 5 lbs came off the first day. So I suspect most of that was water and an emptier digestive system. That made me question if I put on any lean mass when I was eating a surplus since I was back to my previous cut weight. The remaining 2 lbs fit with the restricted calories.

I feel surprisingly fine -- great really. Gym performance is nice and strong. I even accidentally did a squat set with an extra 20 lbs. That put me back up to the weight I injured myself with when I passed out.

The only draw back is, and I'm "Mr. Self Control", is I get some wicked food cravings when I smell or see something that looks good. However, the IF protocol I'm following makes this much easier. I don't get any of the cravings in my fasting window. They only happen between shakes. The final shake is usually big enough to hold me through the evening. I'm also getting a bit sick of coconut which I usually like.

A good tip I've discovered is it's easier if you get the nut butters direct from the grinder to prevent oil separation. Then refrigerate it to make measuring easier since they aren't as sticky when cold. They also don't get as hard in the fridge compared to the off the shelf natural nut butters.

I'm also using berries on occasion since they have a good carb to volume ratio.

^^ Pretty much mirrors my experience doing this as well. One reason I find the liquid approach a bit easier is that avoiding junk food is simpler because you're avoiding ALL food.

Since it's rather slow around here I figured I'd report back on my second week on the diet. I didn't have quite the progress on the second week. After about a 7000 calories deficit I'm only down another pound. I'm also looking rather flat. Also, my Omron hasn't really changed any since I began the diet. Which has me worried I'm losing too much lean mass. Perhaps, I just have a future "wooshies" coming on. I'll probably do a big carb loading day when this is over.

Anyway, it's not all that bad. I discovered today that I suddenly have abs. They aren't well defined but definitely there.

How's your strength? The Omron doesn't mean much if you are at the very least maintaining strength--or you are still pretty close.

(null)

Strength is okay. My bench and OHP have actually gone up slightly and my other lifts are maintaining. However, I injured myself a few weeks ago and my deadlift is suffering a little because of that.

What I have noticed is my stamina is down a little bit. I have a harder time making it through kickboxing.

That sounds about right. You will stay pretty flat until you re-carb. Kickboxing is probably fairly brutal on this...

Also, wtf is an omron?

Also, wtf is an omron?

It's a brand name for a bio-impedance body fat measurement tool. Either a scale or a handheld device.

http://www.omron-healthcare.com/en/product/weight_management/

This is the one I have. http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C-Loss-Monitor-Black/dp/B000FYZMYK/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1350173663&sr=8-9

I suppose I shouldn't trust it that much. Two weeks ago I didn't have abs. Now I do and it's giving me the same number. I'll take that over the numbers. :)

Ah, I see. I googled "Omron" and only got Blood pressure monitors.

Anyway, those electrical BF testers aren't too useful. You're much better off doing calipers, taking measurements, and (my personal favorite) strength/weight ratio.

Kickboxing is probably fairly brutal on this...

Yes, it is but I'd go crazy without it. I start off strong but by half way through my stamina tanks. I'm doing about 2-3 30 minute sessions per week between my lifting days. I have a sedentary job so it's probably not too bad overall. I'm keeping the kickboxing days to the rest day calories.

While on this diet I'm taking BCAAs, electrolytes and a pre-workout NO booster to get through kickboxing.

One interesting thing about this diet compared to my last cut is the carbs are actually a bit higher. My carb cycles are 58/109 grams on the V-diet and my prior cut was around 10 to 60 grams.

That's a good call on the carbs. There is no reason to go zero carb (10g carbs = zero carb, practically speaking) unless you just really like meat and hate other foods. Otherwise, ~60g/day is usually a good rest day amount, with ~100 on workout days also being a good choice.

For kickboxing, have you considered consuming some of your fat from coconut oil (or other medium chain trigylceride) along with a scoop of protein prior to those classes? When I was doing hapikdo, that's how I usually did it when I didn't go fasted.

That's a good call on the carbs. There is no reason to go zero carb (10g carbs = zero carb, practically speaking) unless you just really like meat and hate other foods. Otherwise, ~60g/day is usually a good rest day amount, with ~100 on workout days also being a good choice.

I think that's one of the reasons I didn't do so well at the end of my last cut. For one I was on restricted calories for 5-6 months and I was reducing back hard at the end because I wasn't making any progress. It became accidental that my carbs got so low since I was concentrating on keeping protein and fat up. I had also transitioned to Paleo so the old grain carbs of my past were no longer in my diet.

I like this liquid Velocity diet because it's short term. I'm eager to getting back into a lean bulk mode. I think I tried to bulk too hard the past month or two and put on a touch more fat than I should have. So I'll take it slow and patient when I come back off of this.

For kickboxing, have you considered consuming some of your fat from coconut oil (or other medium chain trigylceride) along with a scoop of protein prior to those classes? When I was doing hapikdo, that's how I usually did it when I didn't go fasted.

That's a good idea on the coconut oil. I've been adding the shredded coconut in to my early day shakes already but I could easily add in some coconut oil.

Keenan, what are your thoughts on the two week transition period at the end?

I was thinking of skipping over this and doing a refeed for a day or two and then transition back to a small surplus. Refeeds seem to flush me out and I didn't really have bad eating habits to begin with.

michail, that's how I do it. I guess if you have a ton of fat to lose, the transition makes more sense, but if you're fairly lean and have good eating habits already, it shouldn't be a problem. I would recommend doing a "clean" refeed, though, initially. Usually after a couple weeks of v-dieting I want a steak and vegetables more than anything else, but I would skip stuff like Pizza and whatnot until you've had a few "clean" days. If you want to do a refeed, maybe go for some good carbs like sweet potatoes or banana or whatnot.

Last Keto diet I did was largely easily digested protein, similar to the V-diet without exercise.

The purpose of ramping back up is to get your system used to digesting solid food again. Or so I was told. That one had 2 weeks with solid food, 2 weeks of carbs only in the morning, then regular eating.

In light if that I would at least do the clean eating like Specter said.

(null)

I do a paleo like diet so the clean part will be a given. That is if you think paleo is clean :).

I tell you though, I've had some serious cravings the past few days. People keep brining in things to work that I normally wouldn't look twice at. Now I'm getting these fantasies in my head of hogging out on all that junk food and baked goods.

However, The results from this diet are worth it.

Spector - how did you find this diet worked out once your lifts were getting up there? I've been grinding out around 220 lbs. for the last couple months, and my lifts feel like they're getting near their limits. I don't want to lose a ton of strength (doing 5/3/1. PRs on left, but I'm close to those right now - 300sq/210bn/150ohp/395dl - for my regular workouts).

Was that frozen coconut dried, or still meaty? I love coconut. :)

I do a paleo like diet so the clean part will be a given. That is if you think paleo is clean :).

I tell you though, I've had some serious cravings the past few days. People keep brining in things to work that I normally wouldn't look twice at. Now I'm getting these fantasies in my head of hogging out on all that junk food and baked goods.

However, The results from this diet are worth it.

Yep, can't go wrong with a Paleo diet. Some people say it doesn't help, but it certainly can't hurt.

And, yeah, any diet is tough when people around you aren't doing it. I think this is the easiest way though, since you've simply decided not to eat solid food and therefore it's easier to avoid the "i'll just have a bite!" trap.