Sign in to follow this  
IronStrong

The Squat

It's the lateral part of my deltoid that's sore. It feels deep, like in the middle of my arm.

With my grip, I use all my fingers and thumbs over the bar. I can't keep my wrist straight. I have it bent. 

Boldbouncer, I don't mean to freak you out, but hearing your pain described as in the side of your shoulder but also "deep in your arm" sounds very similar to what I used to feel when trying to squat...my shoulders are very messed up too, so that might be a sign of something bad happening. Have you ever had to finish your squatting early because of the discomfort/pain?

does anyone else get knee aches?

My squat is high bar > ATG > knees out > and my knees just hurt?

is it pain or just muscle soreness? i thought mine was pain but realised it was just the muscles  around the knee saying "Yeeesssss i freakin love squats"

is it pain or just muscle soreness? i thought mine was pain but realised it was just the muscles  around the knee saying "Yeeesssss i freakin love squats"

Hey Russ - its is pain, but I perhaps should have updated this as since that post I have been to physio and it transpired the back of my left knee was "as tight as a guitar string" and needed (and still needs) constant stretching....

Boldbouncer, I don't mean to freak you out, but hearing your pain described as in the side of your shoulder but also "deep in your arm" sounds very similar to what I used to feel when trying to squat...my shoulders are very messed up too, so that might be a sign of something bad happening. Have you ever had to finish your squatting early because of the discomfort/pain?

So far I've completed all my squat sets. I do stronglifts 5x5 and will do 220 lbs next workout. 

Hey Russ - its is pain, but I perhaps should have updated this as since that post I have been to physio and it transpired the back of my left knee was "as tight as a guitar string" and needed (and still needs) constant stretching....

Something else that may help (no idea if you already do it) is IT band foam rolling. I used to find I would sometimes get pain in my knee, anyway from the front to the side to behind, and foam rolling seemed to help. IT band tightness can be felt at the knees, so it could help.

And Boldbouncer, glad to hear it. It's probably just a case of you not quite being flexible enough to hold it the way you are, so I'd recommend having a thumbless grip. Also, you could always do the usual stretch chest/traps and strengthen the back protocol, since that usually helps with just about anything.

Really good "How to Squat" Video by a strongman.  It's even entertaining.

• Upvote 2

Damn, I am not hitting depth with this box I'm using, so much for my 205lb squat

Thanks for that video Berin, it also led me to this one, which might explain why I have a tendency to lean left on the squat although my right leg is stronger:

that guy is fucking awesome, I subscribed to his channel

He also has a lifting program  I really like, if I couls figure how to fit it to my running program