Sign in to follow this  
IronStrong

The Squat

Whatever anyone's opinion of Zach is (is his bodyfat 18% or 46% etc.) this video is a very useful one for seeing correct low bar squat form from pretty much every angle:

Don't forget the other camera angle:

I've followed strictly elitefts 'so you think you can squat'. It's very helpful. But, I've recently switched to head-down approach -- as suggested by Rippetoe -- and it feels much better. What do you think? I guess this aspect has been widely discussed already. Cheers!

wow from that angle he looks like he is looking way down, like in between his feet

Look wherever you need to, to maintain a 'chest up' position, just don't look at the ceiling or you can shift the bar away from the proper position.

Look wherever you need to, to maintain a 'chest up' position, just don't look at the ceiling or you can shift the bar away from the proper position.

Cheers mate!

Anyone of you experienced something similar when doing heavy squats (.90%)? When squatting up I only managed to reach about halfway to 60%, and I have to do some sort of goodmorning to get the lockout.

That's because you're not bracing your abs hard enough, so the lower back is doing more of the work. Make sure you are taking a big breath into your diaphragm (think about breathing into your stomach, your chest should not rise), then holding that breath for a whole rep (you might exhale a bit on the concentric phase). You may also want to do some extra ab work like planks, hanging leg raises etc. I neglected ab work for a while but once I started doing them again (consistently) I noticed the improvement straight away. Good luck!

Anyone of you experienced something similar when doing heavy squats (.90%)? When squatting up I only managed to reach about halfway to 60%, and I have to do some sort of goodmorning to get the lockout.

It can be a weak core as mentioned above causing excessive forward lean, and it can also be due to the hips rising faster than the bar itself (so rather than a weakness bending you into this position, you actively push yourself there forcing you to need to good morning your way out of it).

The good thing is working on form and strengthening the core are always a good option, so its a nice easy fix.

Oh i see, thanks for the advice! Regarding corework, I thought squats were sufficient to strengthen it?

Squats will build a strong core, yes, but I think the legs are generally stronger than your core is when you start training. Either that, or they progress faster than your core does.

There's no harm in additional core training, that's for sure.

If freaking strong guys like Konstantinovs, the Westside folk, Ed Coan, all do ab work then there must be good reason to do it.

Your abs can never be too strong.

What would you define as ab work? Weighted crunches, planks and stuff? Or the do as many situps as you can?

What would you define as ab work? Weighted crunches, planks and stuff? Or the do as many situps as you can?

Your want your abs to be strong.

Go with movements that you can increase resistance rather going for as many repetitions.

Right now mine are getting plenty from todays session (squats/deadlifts/front squats) but as I get back into the swing of things I will need to add some specific work in again.

I am a big fan of static ab training. Holding a tuck or l/sit progression position used to work great for me!

I see, thanks alot! Will try that out!

Anyone here has groin pain from squatting?

Is it bad, or just DOMS? No groin pulls, but I've had some good ol' fashioned DOMS there particularly the day after my AMRAP set on squat day.

Hm...how wide is your stance? My first thought was: Your stance is too wide for RAW squatting.

I squat the conventional low bar, just slightly wider than shoulder width. Hmm the pain occurs randomly and when it happens i am unable to lift up my left leg. And the next moment it is gone, i'm able to squat normally.

Use the adductor machine to strengthen your groin muscles

Paul from Lift-Run-Bang advises this, too. I´d say that high reps ~20 should do fine for some prehab/rehab-work. Same goes for lunges, excellent prehab exercises for us regular squatters!

Will try that out! Thanks!

I've recently corrected low-bar placement and can now, after some warming up, get the bar low like it should be.  I've noticed tenderness in my upper back around the rear deltoids/scapula area because of it.  In a sick, twisted way, it actually feels good like DOMS do.  If that is what you are feeling, I would say it is normal.  If your front deltoids are sore, it could be that you need to work on flexibility.  I definitely fall into this camp.

However, I've got all of 4 months of experience, so perhaps someone else will offer a different opinion.