Sign in to follow this  
IronStrong

The Squat

Yeah I know what you mean sking I've always locked my knees out on my squats, only enquired though because he does squat heavy with full rom

Technically if he's not locking out he's not using full rom. Does he also not lockout on bench because it's "too much pressure on the elbows?" It's the strongest and most stable position to be in and that's probably something you want with hundreds of lbs. on your back. You wouldn't want to lockout so hard that you overextend the joint, of course.

Could someone describe more fully this "bounce" you want to feel at the bottom? When I try to bounce back up out of the hole, it almost feels like I am letting go of something momentarily then re-engaging with my glutes to push back up out of the hole. Is that right? Or does it feel like something else? I have been practicing going down slowly because I am trying to feel what an inch below parallel really feels like. I am starting to get that, but I am obviously not getting any bounce coming back up. Thanks

The bounce is a stretch reflex in your hamstrings. As you descend, you should be stretching your hamstrings. As you push your femurs apart and make way for the hips to come down with full lumbar extension, your hamstring are getting tighter and tighter as you descend. Do not "let go" for any reasons whatsoever! This makes it sounds like muscles are relaxing. At no point within a squat should any muscle relax!

Think of the bounce as one final forced stretch of the hamstrings. You are not letting the weight push you down, you are winding the weight down! As you finally reach parallel, you give those hamstrings a final stretch, taking you an inch below parallel. Shove the knees out the hardest at this point. At the bounce, you are not relaxing ANYTHING. On the contrary, you are reinforcing every bit of tightness that you have maintained throughout the descent. It's like a climax. BOOM! Push those knees out, stretch those hams, tight, tight, tight, TIGHT back. At this point, the momentum is UP! Drive those hips up...DRIVE! Keep the chest up...do NOT lose the back angle you have.

• Upvote 3

Awesome description, Steve. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

High Bar - Low Bar

See image for where I think the bar would sit on my back for either.

HighBarLowBar

Now I have tried "low bar" - and all that happens is it feels like the weight is all on my wrists, and if I put 100kg+ on it I would either break my wrists or the bar would fall.

VJ who I train with was convinced he was doing low bar as well - but after getting his squat video reviewd by Rippetoe himself on an open forum one day - he was told he was also high bar - and he has the same issue that I do with them

I need to ask - am what I thinking is low bar, is too low?

My current squat rests firmly on the top of my traps - definitely high bar - but wondering if I could solve the low bar issue it may stop the lean forward slightly.

Hope someone can help...

Low bar can be even lower, sitting right in the middle of the scapula.

Now as to wrist issues supporting the bar, a lot of that has to do with how you mount the bar on your back. Because the bar is lower, your back is more forward during the lift. In short the bar isn't going to need a ton of pressure to keep it in place. All that's needed is a little pressure pinning the bar to the back. In order to get the feel for that, what I did was not even grab the bar. I set the palms of my hands on top of the bar and the natural pressure of the hands behind the bar with the bar going across your back is all that's needed to keep it steady.

Love this picture:

perfect+squat.jpg

• Upvote 2

Love this picture:

What a really great picture - we are naturally good at squatting must just lose the natural ability as we get older :-)

To be honest, I "stole" it from "lift-run-bang", but I´m sure Paul just found it somewhere else ;)

I highly recommend reading his blog, though....

http://www.lift-run-...-raw-squat.html

Chad Wesley Smith knows a thing or two, too:

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2011/09/23/5-tips-for-the-raw-squat/

I personally hav had surgery on my right knee 7 years ago and my right leg is still smaller than the left one. Apparently I favor my left leg to compensate for the right, so in order to help with this, I think "rightrightright" when I squat or even have people shout that at me while I´m squatting. Find your cues and have people shout them at you. Or shout at yourself internally, which might be more acceptable in a commercial gym ;)

So, since I have probably already established that I have a raging man-crush on Chad Wesley Smith, here´s the recap of one of his squat-sessions:

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2011/11/04/preparing-for-935-day-1/

Notice how simplistic the whole session was! It´s also nice to see how a proper warmup can look like :)

Meh, guess I'll have to switch to low bar squats...

Tried low bar squats today, I feel sorry for everyone who's doing it. It sucks :P High bar all the way!

Why in god's green earth would you even try to switch, Tuplad? :P

Our of curiosity, have you got any good high bar vids/articles you recommend checking out?

Beasley: because low bar is something all the cool kids do, don't wanna be excluded. don't feel my hamstring during the squat at all btw.

No vids or articles... I just started squatting that way and everything worked out fine.

Here is a compilation of Squat Vids in my YouTube channel that I find helpful.

http://www.youtube.c...04701789AF51772

Ouch dude your elbows are so low when you squat. You also Bounce around like a crazy man with the weight on your shoulders. Sore neck? Damn damn !!!

I'm back to Squatting low bar with an uber-wide power stance and hands next to collars.

It's quite simply kick-ass.

Ouch dude your elbows are so low when you squat. You also Bounce around like a crazy man with the weight on your shoulders. Sore neck? Damn damn !!!

which vid are you talking about?

which vid are you talking about?

I only watched one squat w7d1

Look at your elbows when in the hole

The elbows are fine. Keeping them that low helps with upperback tightness. I´d be more concerned about the whole bouncing around and wide "box-squatting".

To be honest, I "stole" it from "lift-run-bang", but I´m sure Paul just found it somewhere else ;)

I highly recommend reading his blog, though....

http://www.lift-run-...-raw-squat.html

Excellent picture, Daniel, and I enjoyed reading through Paul's blog (added to my RSS streams). Thanks.

The elbows are fine. Keeping them that low helps with upperback tightness. I´d be more concerned about the whole bouncing around and wide "box-squatting".

Wat wat???

Upper back tightness is grip width. Elbows up is to keep weight off arms

Latest video by rip. needs viewing.

Wat wat???

Upper back tightness is grip width. Elbows up is to keep weight off arms

Latest video by rip. needs viewing.

Excuse me, but Rip certainly isn´t THE authority on how to squat properly. Grip width alone doesn´t mean much...just take a look at the heavier guys and their superwide grip. Andy Bolton probably still has "some upper back tightness". And you don´t support the bar with your arms in either position.

There are enough people advocating the elbows down (Wendler, Tate, Dieselcrew...), too. Just consider this:

Wendler has squatted 1000lbs. Rip hasn´t. They guys in my club have squatted 300kg+. I have squatted 235kg. We all do fine. Don´t fall blindly for Rips stuff. He knows his stuff, but to paraphrase Karl Popper:

If you accept only one theory, you have neither understood the problem, nor the theory.
  • Upvote 3