Sign in to follow this  
IronStrong

The Squat

Here is a video of Justin Lascek demonstrating the Low-bar back squat as taught by Mark Rippetoe in Mark's gym (WFAC).

• Upvote 1

Justin's one strong guy, for sure. I've seen a lot of his vids, he's got some impressive numbers.

Could we get a high bar/Olympic squat thread going for those of us who prefer it? Our kinds don't mix well together (in a hillbilly voice)

Rippetoe's Starting Strength spent a good amount of time talking about the roles of the adductors in the squat. Bottom line is that if you make sure your knees are out, and the rest of your form is good, they will be engaged in the lift. I did that last night, and for the first time they were sore. Looks like I've been letting my knees go too far towards each other in my squats. I'm definitely going to keep doing this.

• Upvote 2

Rippetoe's Starting Strength spent a good amount of time talking about the roles of the adductors in the squat. Bottom line is that if you make sure your knees are out, and the rest of your form is good, they will be engaged in the lift. I did that last night, and for the first time they were sore. Looks like I've been letting my knees go too far towards each other in my squats. I'm definitely going to keep doing this.

You have found one of the most important keys to proper squatting!

• Upvote 1

This guy Justin is one Badass Strong guy! look at his Quads! His lift was awesome!

Just thought i should share this "tip" with you : Never experiment going ATG with Low bar Squat, unless you want to live with a Sore back for the next two days. (dont even attempt it when doing with your max weights - It just hurts)

This has to be posted somewhere. One of my favorite quotes from Rip:

There is simply no other exercise, and certainly no machine, that produces the level of central nervous system activity, improved balance and coordination, skeletal loading and bone density enhancement, muscular stimulation and growth, connective tissue stress and strength, psychological demand and toughness, and overall systemic conditioning than the correctly performed full squat.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Wit_and_Wisdom_of_Mark_Rippetoe

Thanks, Neil...too bad I had to go to the FB fanpage to find this :P

Wow. After having high bar squatted for quite a long time due to shoulder issues on low bar squats, I gave low bar squats a go just now. No warm up of any kind, just straight from being at my PC to squatting, and it went down brilliantly. I need to work on my technique, obviously, hit my shoulder rehab even harder to make it easier on my joints and read up on articles to remaster it, but damn does it feel good to be able to do it again. Just saw these videos, figured I'd post them here too.

The first guy in this vid has the kind of form I want:

And this is just a really good one for general viewing purposes

http://vimeo.com/4772650

• Upvote 1

does anyone else get knee aches?

My squat is high bar > ATG > knees out > and my knees just hurt?

does anyone else get knee aches?

My squat is high bar > ATG > knees out > and my knees just hurt?

I squat low bar, but see if this is your problem as well.

I squat low bar, but see if this is your problem as well.

Had a look at a video vaughan did of my squats at 90kgs - and the form looks really good - but I am well aware that it breaks down over 115-120 kgs so will have to record them again when I get back there...

Thanks

This is a must read article if you really want to understand how to squat properly:

http://startingstren..._2_rippetoe.pdf

Read it. Read it again. Practice. Read it again.

KNEES OUT!!

(FYI, you can apply the concept of active hip to the deadlift as well, as you can see toward the end of the article.)

Cheers Stephen - I think it will take about 5 reads to understand what he means. I had glazed over by the bottom of page 1 :blink:

All seemed lost on me - not enough pictures :D

I hear you, man...that's why I had to read it several times. He's basically explaining why you must shove your knees out. It made me realize that I was actually losing lower lumbar tightness at the bottom of my squat, and the active hip articles has helped me solve it :)

Is that hip drive video low bar or high bar >.< I can't tell...the bar looks pretty low to me...but I realized I'm keeping my back way too erect while squatting and I need to fix that pronto.

Is that hip drive video low bar or high bar >.< I can't tell...the bar looks pretty low to me...but I realized I'm keeping my back way too erect while squatting and I need to fix that pronto.

Low bar.

You have found one of the most important keys to proper squatting!

me too, late but sure!

some good info here

robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/squat/#more-1241

for the low bar squat do we lock the knees at the top?

for the low bar squat do we lock the knees at the top?

Yes.

Yes.

thanks had a trainer stop me from doing that claims it puts to much of pressure on the knees

Many times, PT's are to be ignored. Personal Trainers as well as Physical Therapists.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I'm also not saying that they are to be ignored 100% of the time. Not coming to full lockout on a squat is something that I disagree with, though.