Sign in to follow this  
MarcioTheGreat

U F C

Terry Etim as well, very exciting fighter. John Hathaway is also quality. Bisping is VERY unpopular in the States but he's just playing the heel role very well. It sells PPVs and his last paycheque was over $400k due to this unpopularity and people wanting to see him get beat.

Mir's submission was the best and worst thing I've ever seen ;)

Johhny bones is a great fighter, but I thought he dropped a clearly unconscious Machida like a sack of potatoes... not cool. What did you guys think?

after the fight you could hear greg jackson say to bones jones to 'go check on machida so you can get some fans' lol

Terry Etim as well, very exciting fighter. John Hathaway is also quality. Bisping is VERY unpopular in the States but he's just playing the heel role very well. It sells PPVs and his last paycheque was over $400k due to this unpopularity and people wanting to see him get beat.

Now that makes me not want to watch. anytime a sporting event starts being about drama, the quality suffers

I think its just something that has evolved to be honest, not really like a WWE styled persona. I think as a person he is a little bit irritating anyway and that has just annoyed Americans from the start. He's been through a phase of trying to be liked but just couldn't pull it off so now I think he's just accepted his unpopularity and embraced it as it helps to sell PPVs. I actually quite like him but then again I also like Chael Sonnen who is the biggest trash talker in the history of the sport (possibly any sport for that matter).

They just hype the fights to make it more interesting, to make more money... It's the same in boxing, which I guess is where this is coming from. I guess it's a kind of strategy as well, get in your opponents head so he gets emotional and he'll be more prone to making mistakes, forgetting game plans etc. It's just a part of the game, "Don't hate the player, hate the game" :)

after the fight you could hear greg jackson say to bones jones to 'go check on machida so you can get some fans' lol

Indeed, I read about that on Sherdog.

To me Jones comes across as a complete phony. I think most people see through him, hence the boos he receives.

Great fighter though, hard to see anyone at that weight beating him.

Rashad probably has the best chance, having been training partners and sparring together for so long.

Although I'd love to see Hendo drop him with the H-Bomb

cheers

Steve

I just don't get the Jones hate. The guy is more than likely going to turn out to be the best fighter ever and yet he's getting booed. He's just had arguably the best year a fighter has ever had, finishing 3 former champions and a solid up & comer. He's not my favourite person either when he speaks but, man, do I wanna see the guy fight. Fight fans hating on the No.1 (arguably) fighter....no entiendo! Then again I think Ali endured something similar while he was still a boxer.

I think it's partly because he comes across as fake and partly because he's destroying fanboys' favourite fighters.

Similarly, I can't understand why Rashad gets so much hate, I think he's great.

and I can't understand why Rampage gets so much love, I can't stand him.

also dont forget fellas, the next UFC is on a friday, dec 30! Lesnar vs Overeem should be awesome

That's going to be a great fight! If Brock can take Overeem down it's all over, but every fight starts standing and Overeem has really good striking. Winner vs JDS and loser vs Cain would both be great fights as well. When Cormier and Barnett get swallowed by the UFC there should be even more great matchups.

yep, the fight between cormier and barnett should be great to, I think its set for Jan

That's going to be a great fight! If Brock can take Overeem down it's all over, but every fight starts standing and Overeem has really good striking. Winner vs JDS and loser vs Cain would both be great fights as well. When Cormier and Barnett get swallowed by the UFC there should be even more great matchups.

Been lurking on this site for a long time. And I'm glad that there are lifters here who are also MMA fans.

Brock vs Overeem is a great stylistic match-up (grappler vs striker). The one who imposes his game plan well wins the fight (most of the time). Let's see if Brock is now fully recovered from his illness and how will Overeem perform in his first match inside the octagon.

indeed. If 'Reem lands one big shot, Lesnar might turtle up and get pounded out.

...but if Lesnar gets a takedown, it could be all over for 'Reem

Guest ExperimentB76z

Brock v Overeem will inevitably end up with Overeem wining. Brock's main use in life is to stand as proof of that age old saying that us men like, "size does not matter".

Brock is not a fighter.

Brock v Overeem will inevitably end up with Overeem wining. Brock's main use in life is to stand as proof of that age old saying that us men like, "size does not matter".

Brock is not a fighter.

Experience-wise, Overeem has the edge since he's been fighting for a long time (BTW, he started as a LHW in '99 around 12 yrs ago). And he fought in over 40 MMA fights (excluding kickboxing bouts). Probably, he can adjust more to the situation that Brock will bring in to the table (due to the fact that Overeem fought a lot of guys w/ different fighting styles and techniques).

For Brock to win, he has to take it to the ground, and pound his opponent out (which is his main strength). However, he has to set-up his takedowns in a timely manner since Overeem has a good takedown defense.

• Upvote 1

Guest ExperimentB76z

Brock is highly overrated. Overeem was the ADCC European champion in 2005. There is nothing wrong with his grappling, in fact it's very good. Brock on the other hand is, well, meh.

For overrated I mean hyped.

Edited by ExperimentB76z

I go for Brock TKO round 2 due to ground n pound. I don't care who wins as I like both guys but I think Brock takes this one.

I love UFC as a sport but only hire the dvd's. My wife hates me watching them! Anderson Silva is my favorite, love the elbows and desire to finish the fight.

Seldom watch boxing anymore, too many crap fights and can't stand when some of the smaller fighters don't possess knock out power. Always wonder why they bother if they can't hit hard.

Top mma guys should be able to mix it up dependent on the tools that the opponent brings. Don't like Dan Hardy because of a couple of fights where he didn't change the game plan.

I also like Pride and K1 (Mark Hunt and Ray Sefu from NZ)

Here's a quick finish I enjoyed from UFC 8 - Gary Goodridge v Paul Herrera

Nothing attached Ivanhoe but from memory you are talking about the crucifix position & then a zillion elbows to the head? Superb finish, sad to see Gary struggles a little with his brain health at the moment. Too many wars.

That's the one.

Guest ExperimentB76z

Dan Hardy isn't bad, fought GSP when he was too green. But he is not the best England or Britian has to offer anyway.

Well, guess I was wrong. Now I'd have to say I think I'm gonna have to pick Alistair over JDS. Hopefully I've not just cursed him.

Didn't seem like Overeem had too much difficulty with the fight, either.

I don't know how well JDS handles strikes, but I think he's going to get destroyed.

Lesnar out, Overeem in. How will JDS go toe to toe with the Reem (who has the experience & size advantage). He may be the better boxer, but not the better fighter.

Cerrone looked lost when Nate Diaz battered and bloodied him. His lips were busted afterwards (he was true to his words about being kicked by a horse in the mouth).

The Jon Fitch KO was shocking. Hendricks surprised me. He'll now move up higher, but can he handle the top welterweights (such as Koscheck & Shields).

Phan simply has no answer to Hettes' gameplan.