Sign in to follow this  
helm

Non-Dairy Protein - For The Milk Haters

There's a lot of people who are lactose intolerant, but this is not about them. This is about weirdos like me, who can't stand the taste of milk. It's simply disgusting. And we're not made to have cow's milk anyway.

But I still want to get enough protein, and don't want to buy and cook meat, fish or vegetables all the time. Protein bars are fine, but often too sweet and quite expensive. What I've done so far was to simply pinch my nose when drinking a whey-based shake, but the aftertaste is still horrible.

Quite recently I found some other options on myprotein.co.uk - Hemp, Soya and Pea Protein Isolate. So far I've only tried the pea protein, and even though it tastes like wallpaper paste / glue, it's much easier to savour than anything milky. The texture is quite rough, the drink is quite thick, but it blends easily, simply stirring it into water with a fork. Due to the rough texture, it scratches your throat a bit when swallowing, but according to the reviews hemp protein is even worse.

Anyway, the nutritional values, or at least the protein content, are quite similar to whey-based stuff. So if you're looking for an alternative, and can stomach a slightly nutty, pea-y, cardboard-flavoured drink, give it a try.

Pea Protein Isolate (PPI) is a natural vegetable based protein which offers an excellent nutritional and amino acid profile. Completely free of gluten, lactose, cholesterol and other anti-nutritional factors, this is a great source of protein for those with certain food intolerances.

Nutritional Information

Per 30g:

Energy: 501KJ

Energy: 119.7Kcal

Protein (dry basis): 24.6g

Carbohydrates: 3.2g

Fat: 0.9g

of which saturates: 0.17g

of which mono unsaturates: 0.26g

of which poly unsaturates: 0.45g

Sodium: 0.4g

Any thoughts, experiences and/ or other suggestions for getting enough protein in a shake in without the milky stank?

I need to eat more peas.

Micellar casein and why protein isolate are both lactose free and can easily be made to taste like just about anything. I avoid lactose but average ~3 servings of casein and whey each day.

Are you having a tough time finding a good protein?

Plant proteins aren't complete, so I don't really see what you'd be getting out of it...

• Upvote 1

Maybe you can mix some eggs in somehow? I was going to suggest cottage cheese, but then I realized :P I've also seen recipes including blended nuts.

I eat hemp 'protein' frequently - more for the good oils and stuff. Its pretty low protein content so you either get tons of fiber or its just not very much protein. Taste is a little funny but I actually don't mind it - but I mix it in oatmeal and MILK!

:)

you can try Quinoa, its a grain but is a complete protein as it has the full amino acid profile. There are some videos on youtube of how to make use of quinoa bars

also give silken tofu a go, I have it blended with peanut butter and protein powder and it tastes awesome

And we're not made to have cow's milk anyway.

Not true, although popular belief in some circles.

but the aftertaste is still horrible.

As others said, it can be made to taste whatever you want, really. Unflavoured whey isn't very nice, but it's not milky either. Come to think of it, none of they wheyprotein I tried tastes 'milky' if you don't blend it with milk.

Any thoughts, experiences and/ or other suggestions for getting enough protein in a shake in without the milky stank?

Plants and grains protein are incomplete and are an inferior source of protein.

Make your own protein bars Helm

Simple to do with a non-bake recipe - I posted a good one on another strength training forum (!)

If I get chance tonight, i'll re-post it in the Recipes section. I think i've still got the pics.

B)

". Hempseeds amino acid profile is close to "complete" when compared to more common sources of proteins such as meat, milk, eggs and soy"

this page has more detailed breakdown with essential amino acid amounts described:

http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/hemp/seedprot.htm

Not saying that one shouldn't eat animal protein but there are vegetarian options that are not bad at all. I buy hemp protein from my grocery store - trader joes - but its not the cheapest deal. Amazon sells at better rate. Its pretty much all from Canada in the US.

There are also several articles that make case that hemp protein is used more efficiently by the body. I take them with grain of salt but still might be worth reading for people interested.

I take mostly whey just because I don't care enough.

H

". Hempseeds amino acid profile is close to "complete" when compared to more common sources of proteins such as meat, milk, eggs and soy"

this page has more detailed breakdown with essential amino acid amounts described:

http://www.innvista....mp/seedprot.htm

Not saying that one shouldn't eat animal protein but there are vegetarian options that are not bad at all. I buy hemp protein from my grocery store - trader joes - but its not the cheapest deal. Amazon sells at better rate. Its pretty much all from Canada in the US.

There are also several articles that make case that hemp protein is used more efficiently by the body. I take them with grain of salt but still might be worth reading for people interested.

I take mostly whey just because I don't care enough.

H

I'm looking to try some Hemp protein as heard its better when baking Protein cakes than whey or casein as it results in a better texture than whey

Casein gets very fluffy, whey gets very hard. Using coconut flour or some starch like bananas/pumpkin in conjunction with the two pretty much lets you bake whatever you want. Banana "bread" with casein will actually rise quite a bit and take on a texture similar to a pumpernickel bread.

I buy Soy Protein becuase I couldnt find any info on whether Whey protein was lactose free. Some are really soy-ish but This one doesnt taste too bad:

http://www.proteinking.com.au/Bodybuilding-Supplements/Aussie-Bodies-Soy-Protein-Plus

spector: do you have any links on how lactose free Micellar casein and why protein isolate are?

I buy Soy Protein becuase I couldnt find any info on whether Whey protein was lactose free. Some are really soy-ish but This one doesnt taste too bad:

http://www.proteinki...oy-Protein-Plus

spector: do you have any links on how lactose free Micellar casein and why protein isolate are?

No pure casein or whey product should have anything but the most trace amounts of lactose. They should be carb free and therefore lactose free. I'm sure if you're EXTREMELY sensitive to the point that just looking at cows gives you the runs then that probably won't work. But if you can handle butter or ghee you should most certainly be able to handle casein/whey in their pure forms.

Micellar casein and why protein isolate are both lactose free and can easily be made to taste like just about anything. I avoid lactose but average ~3 servings of casein and whey each day.

Are you having a tough time finding a good protein?

Plant proteins aren't complete, so I don't really see what you'd be getting out of it...

Casein isn't lactose free, neither is isolate. Although isolate has a very small amount of lactose, it's still there. Casein has way more lactose, if it didn't, I wouldn't be shitting bricks and it would have 0g sugar.

@TS: don't be lazy and cook your meat :D

Casein isn't lactose free, neither is isolate. Although isolate has a very small amount of lactose, it's still there. Casein has way more lactose, if it didn't, I wouldn't be shitting bricks and it would have 0g sugar.

Right, that's why I said "the most trace amounts of lactose" in the post above. The casein I get does indeed have 0g of sugar. http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=22&pid=73

We can quibble over the term "lactose free" but I'm content saying that .0001% or whatever is "close enough". Certainly enough for digestive enzymes to make up the difference in someone who is lactose intolerant. I'd guess you'd get more lactose just touching a glass of milk than you would consuming two scoops of pure casein.