Sign in to follow this  
Aghoover

Wrist pain on bench

So I'm restarting SL5x5 and so my weight on the BP is still embarrassingly low. And I've noticed I'm experiencing wrist pain.  If you run your finger along the side of your hand from your thumb towards your wrist, just before you get the wrist, the finger will land in a small depression.  This is where the pain is.  My wrists are NOT bent back and the bar is close to the heal of my hand.  When my arms are fully extended, My wrist is not straight and I think this is where the problem is coming from.  I've adjusted my grip to a bull dog grip (?), and it seems to have helped.  I think I need to make my grip more narrow, but I'm worried I'm already too narrow.  My pinkies are inside of the rings on the bar.  I'll post a link to a video of what my grip looks like, for both the BP and the OHP.

Could it be just that you are not used to the weights? I also get wrist pain sometimes for bench but i just try to warm up my wrist by shaking and turning them around so it's usually no problem.

I'm benching less than 135lbs, so I hope not.  I'm experimenting with how I hold the bar AND wide I hold it.  I try to hold it so that when the bar is touching my chest, my wrist is straight and in line with my forearm.  I believe, this is correct technique, correct me if I'm wrong.

Strange, i don't know what the problem can be if you are benching at that level :(. Do you experience pain with wrist wraps aswell?

I don't use wraps.  And in the past I've always put my pinkies on the inside ring of the bar with no wrist issue.  Its not a big deal yet, but I want to sort it out before it becomes a big deal.  Maybe I'm just a big wuss.

Haha, I don't think you are a wuss!

I don't know how long you've had the problem. If it's only a few sessions on a certain movement it's not a big deal I would say but if it persist - check it up with your GP.