Sign in to follow this  
MartinBrault

I'm 51, Am I To Old For Increasing Muscle Mass/Size?

I just turned 51 years old on the 12th of Dec, 2016. And in no way am I going to allow my age to discourage me from Weight Training. But I am concerned that because of my age I might not be able to increase my Muscle Mass/Size. So my question is, am I to old to increase my Muscle Mass/Size at 51? Thank You!

It takes a 70 year old about 3 months weight lifting to regain their strength that they had in their 20s according to several studies. It's never to late to start lifting, remember that!

Considering your question you will gain muscle, but not as fast as a 20 year old of course. Start a log here and we can help you reach your goals!

My brother started lifting six months ago and has progressed in size and is 45 years old. My grandmother is 84 and her husband is 90 and they go to the gym to keep their strength in check and protect their bodies from getting to weak.

22 hours ago, Boola said:

It takes a 70 year old about 3 months weight lifting to regain their strength that they had in their 20s according to several studies. It's never to late to start lifting, remember that!

Considering your question you will gain muscle, but not as fast as a 20 year old of course. Start a log here and we can help you reach your goals!

My brother started lifting six months ago and has progressed in size and is 45 years old. My grandmother is 84 and her husband is 90 and they go to the gym to keep their strength in check and protect their bodies from getting to weak.

Thanks! I have been lifting for two months, and have seen some increase in size. It's just I was thinking because of my age I won't be able to make my muscles bigger.

As you also say you already increased size in 2 months which is very good. :)

The way my old coach explained it to me was that our max genetic potential goes down and our risk of over-training goes up when we are pushing close to the genetic potential.  Thing is, most of us here are probably not working anywhere close enough for that to be a concern.

Just work steadily toward your strength goals and see where it takes you.