Sign in to follow this  
SuperStarGalaxy

Weight Lifting Belt?

Hi guys, I've recently been stuck on 395lbs for my deadlift and I've been wanting to increase it. My friends recommended me using chalk and it helped me go from 355lbs -> 395lbs (where I am now). Not to sure if I should just eat more or what.. 

Anyways I came across this article on weight lifting belts the other day and I decided that maybe it's time to actually use a weight lifting belt? Was going to use the one they recommended but I want to see other peoples input first on if I should hop on this ship or not. My friend showed me this article to tell me to avoid one, but I don't know. He doesn't really lift that heavy anyways so I'm not really set on his opinion at this moment.

What do you guys think?

Art   

At near 400lb and stuck, I'd try a belt, and I'm one of the most anti equipment guys on this board (and the weakest)

Boola   

Hello SuperStarGalaxy. A lifting belt may help you get a little bit stronger while doing a max by keeping you tigther, but it wont increase your strength per defintion. So if your deadlift is weak i would continue to train and soon you will be able to deadlift more then that. Just be consistent with your routine. I have deadlifted 530 pounds without a belt.

I use a belt because I have degenerating discs and need all the help I can get, even though I'm not lifting heavy by most's standards.  I warm up without one, then buckle up for the heavy sets every session.  As others stated, it doesn't make you stronger, but gives you something to push your abs, obliques, etc. up against to protect the spine.

I only have experience with one brand, but I've been very impressed with it after about 1.5 years of use.

www.bestbelts.net

Boola   

@SuperStarGalaxyGood luck with your journey! :)

Miked96   

Wear a belt, learn how to use it to protect your back so you can pull something heavy.  This whole belts make you weak thing is a internet product started by guys that want you to believe what there doing is extra special because they didn't use a belt or wear underwear or pants or shoes, etc.  Its like hey I could play in the NFL but I refuse to wear shoulder pads!  Wear the the stuff that helps protect your joints and allows you to lift long enough so you can lift something heavy enough to be proud of. 

• Upvote 1