Sign in to follow this  
thomjill

Cobra Grips Lifting Grips

To be honest I never heard of them before.  When I looked them up on Amazon, they looked kind of gimmicky and way overpriced for what you get.

You'll probably get better performance from the cheaper straps like these:

wrist-straps.gif

However, for really big weights or really big bars (like an axle), the Why Our Way lifting straps are probably the best:

strap-product-v2-mini.png

They are super long and wrap around your wrist and bar in a way that supports the weight better than you can believe.  They're not cheap, but they perform well for axle deadlifts as well as standard deadlifts.  Something the Cobras couldn't do if they wanted to.

There's one more style of strap designed for weightlifters because they need a quick release:

wl0011-lg.jpg

Honestly, the type of strap you need really depends on how you intend to use it.

The first kind I listed (standard straps) are great for just general purpose work, and they are the cheapest version of strap you can buy.  Eventually, they do break, but it usually takes a lot of use and abuse before that happens.

The last kind I listed (weightlifting straps) are best for folks doing the Olympic style weightlifting.  Because they don't wrap around the bar as many times, they let you dump the bar quickly without getting tangled up.

The WOW straps (strongman straps) are best for non-standard loads.  They support your wrist and the bar, so you can handle heavier loads than any of the other alternatives.  However, because they wrap around so much, there is no quick release.  They are a deadlift tool.

The only other thing I can say is don't be too dependent on them.  They are a great tool when you are going for that overload work, or if your regimen has you training your grip doing other things and you just don't want to overdo it.