Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
salisboss

Squat: What should I be thinking about?

10 posts in this topic

I am working on fixing on the squat technique. I have improved my butt wink but one thing I struggle with is that I don't even feel it happen when it does. What should I be thinking about (I guess cues) near the bottom to prevent this in addition to improving back strength and hip flexibility?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sit down and stand up, squatting isn´t that hard. No Need to overcomplicate things. Now I´ll grab my Popcorn and wait for K to show p with a billion different cues.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Juggerswolik said:

Sit down and stand up, squatting isn´t that hard. No Need to overcomplicate things. Now I´ll grab my Popcorn and wait for K to show p with a billion different cues.

QA7abx.gif

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16 August 2016 at 7:19 PM, salisboss said:

I am working on fixing on the squat technique. I have improved my butt wink but one thing I struggle with is that I don't even feel it happen when it does. What should I be thinking about (I guess cues) near the bottom to prevent this in addition to improving back strength and hip flexibility?

It can be hard to control if you start right off with weights.

Try to first fix your form without any additional weight, just your body. Once you understand the movement, try to duplicate with weights :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MillyP said:

It can be hard to control if you start right off with weights.

Try to first fix your form without any additional weight, just your body. Once you understand the movement, try to duplicate with weights :)

What should I be thinking about to control the buttwink besides bracing and keeping my chest up?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, salisboss said:

What should I be thinking about to control the buttwink besides bracing and keeping my chest up?

That´s already two things to think about. Do you really think that thinking about more things is any use? I can hardly think about one thing at a time, let one more than two. Just keep on practicing with controllable weights, take videos and/or have someone that knows his stuff give you tips. Overthinking stuff is rarely ever the answer, especially when considering movements. Feeling and intuition is always faster than thinking, thinking is slow.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this helps, too many people overthink the buttwink thing.  It's an epidemic.

If your chest collapses, you won't be able to control the squat, so there's that.

The number cue I can recommend is to get and stay tight.  That's it.  If you do something that feels stronger, keep doing it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^This, get that upper back TIGHT and the lower tends to fall in line

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the help. I am working on all of this so I will just keep working on it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0