SamuelMagee

Low weight high rep VS High weight low rep

so what would you recommend for a guy who  is trying to focus on both losing weight and building muscle? I'm never sure if I should be doing lots of sets with low weights, but high reps, or if I should consistently be pushing for high weight, but low reps.

lunamud   

I would recommend a 5x5 or 3x5 of compound lifts like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, Or The Average Fucking Program (AFP) that you can find on this site and then if you feel up to it, some BB higher rep stuff as icing on the cake. Your diet is really going to be way more important than your rep scheme though. You'll need to make sure you are eating a ton of protein, but are staying in a calorie deficit.

• Upvote 2

As is the case in most things, it's a big subject that has a lot of science researching that question.

Best I understand it, the more fatigue inducing reps you do, the more muscle you build.  As awesome as sets of 5 are, sets of 8 and sets of 3 are equally awesome.  However if you are not pushing enough weight to cause you to fatigue, then you aren't going to see a lot of muscle growth.

• Upvote 2