Sign in to follow this  
SamuelMagee

Eggs: Fried, Scrambled, or Boiled?

if you're trying to drop weight, probably boiled is best, just from a pure caloric standpoint, otherwise it doesn't matter, fried or scrambled in butter would be my go to

I even learned how to 'over easy' them in the oven (300deg oven, a bit of oil or butter, 5 minutes, get em out) 

The differences are fairly small and it's probably not gonna make or break ones progress, other things related to motivation will be more apt to hold back progress.

Fried and scrambled are about the same nutritionally since you need some external fat to keep it from sticking.

Butter is nice, but so is coconut oil.  Coconut oil has the advantage of a higher "boiling point" than butter so it can handle higher heat without burning.

No real advantage one over the other, just account for the extra fat in your overall fat intake for the day.  Half a teaspoon of coconut oil is enough to comfortably fry 3-5 eggs, depending on how big your breakfast is.  That's much more favorable to the amount of butter required to prevent sticking.

NOTE: for shear taste, bacon rendering is magical.  Same deal as coconut oil, but probably a not as "good for you".

Bacon renderings probably have a fair bit more salt than unsalted butter or coconut oil.

Some people have issues with high sodium intake.  Calories are probably similar, but make sure you're measuring quantities so you know how many extra calories you're adding.  By weight, fats have the highest calorie density (9 calories per gram, compared to 4 for both proteins and carbs).  A small amount of fats goes a long way from an energy standpoint.

• Upvote 1

@Idle, that's why bacon rendering is for shear taste.  There's not much to recommend it nutritionally.  But agreed on the tracking the fat used to cook with in your daily intake.

I do believe that no matter the way it's cooked, the egg itself should have the same nutritional values.

However, of course, if you use any fat to cook it with, it will end up adding up but it is not directly related to the egg itself.

Personally, I jump from one egg type to the other to keep it interesting hehe :)

5 hours ago, FerrousMaverick said:

@Idle, that's why bacon rendering is for shear taste.  There's not much to recommend it nutritionally.  But agreed on the tracking the fat used to cook with in your daily intake.

Yes, I was more adding to what you were saying.  There's no doubt bacon fat will taste better, but if someone is sensitive to high sodium it would be something to keep in mind.

Outside the risk of salmonella contamination, you get a much bigger benefit from eating cooked eggs compared to raw.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full

(bold emphasis is mine)

Abstract

Egg proteins contribute substantially to the daily nitrogen allowances in Western countries and are generally considered to be highly digestible. However, information is lacking on the true ileal digestibility of either raw or cooked egg protein. The recent availability of stable isotope–labeled egg protein allowed determination of the true ileal digestibility of egg protein by means of noninvasive tracer techniques. Five ileostomy patients were studied, once after ingestion of a test meal consisting of 25 g of cooked 13C- and 15N-labeled egg protein, and once after ingestion of the same test meal in raw form. Ileal effluents and breath samples were collected at regular intervals after consumption of the test meal and analyzed for 15N- and 13C-content, respectively. The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 ± 0.8 and 51.3 ± 9.8%, respectively. A significant negative correlation (r = −0.92, P < 0.001) was found between the 13C-recovery in breath and the recovery of exogenous N in the ileal effluents. In summary, using the 15N-dilution technique we demonstrated that the assimilation of cooked egg protein is efficient, albeit incomplete, and that the true ileal digestibility of egg protein is significantly enhanced by heat-pretreatment. A simple 13C-breath test technique furthermore proved to be a suitable alternative for the evaluation of the true ileal digestibility of egg protein.

I tried it after watching the first 'rocky' movie, it is gross