SamuelMagee

Working to get Stronger

The way I've always approached things is to have one major compound movement for the day and then fill in detail work with the isolation movements.  For example, I would have a squat day (legs), bench day (chest/arms), deadlift (back) day, and overhead press (shoulders) day.  From there I choose assistance work to support and supplement similar areas of the body.  Each of the main compounds hit pretty much all the major muscle groups, but they do emphasize some muscles more than others.

Art   

most beginners do full body routine 3x a week, and get good results, but they're also doing basic barbell movements

Since you don't have the equipment for that, not sure that'd be the right approach

If you like what you're doing, and it works for you, keep it up

2 hours ago, FerrousMaverick said:

The way I've always approached things is to have one major compound movement for the day and then fill in detail work with the isolation movements.  For example, I would have a squat day (legs), bench day (chest/arms), deadlift (back) day, and overhead press (shoulders) day.  From there I choose assistance work to support and supplement similar areas of the body.  Each of the main compounds hit pretty much all the major muscle groups, but they do emphasize some muscles more than others.

unfortunately I am limited by the fact I have no barbells to use because the gym provided by the apartments doesn't have one so I have to stick to using dumbbells stuff until I have money for a gym membership but I do like this suggestion and will definitely be writing it down so I can try it when do have access to more equipment

Day 8 I weighed myself today and found that I went down from 330.4 to 324.9 and lost an inch off my waist. I know every week won't be like this, but it makes me feel great to hit the ground running and push towards my goals.

• Upvote 2

Art   

+1

I met a couple of guys at my apartment's gym today, both are motivated to get in shape like I am. it encourages me to work that much harder when I know others are rooting for me

• Upvote 1

Art   

awesome!

lunamud   
On 7/31/2016 at 10:00 AM, SamuelMagee said:

Day 8 I weighed myself today and found that I went down from 330.4 to 324.9 and lost an inch off my waist. I know every week won't be like this, but it makes me feel great to hit the ground running and push towards my goals.

Have you thought about keeping an actual log on this site? It can help keep you motivated. It's a good place to get advice, have some friendly banter with lifters, vent, and track your progress.

3 hours ago, lunamud said:

Have you thought about keeping an actual log on this site? It can help keep you motivated. It's a good place to get advice, have some friendly banter with lifters, vent, and track your progress.

im actually using bodybuilding.com

I keep track of my week-by-week process including my weight and the size of my waist, chest, arms, etc

Miked96   

Welcome Sam.  Use the train log section on here or have a mod move it to the logs.