SamuelMagee

Working to get Stronger

I am not going to bother beating around the bush. I want to become stronger, but I don't know what I need to achieve that. I am 320 pound man I am 6'4 at 22 years old. I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror and not feel ashamed that I have let myself go this far. I have tried repeatedly to lose weight, but I have never been able to break 300 and go under. Each time that I have I would always plateau and no matter how hard I pushed I could seem to break through this wall in my way. So I am trying to find others who can help me overcome this and achieve my goals.

Right now I don't have access to much in the way of weight training equipment. Only the things that are provided by my apartment complex. I have an elliptical machine, a cycling bike, a treadmill, several sets of hand-weights up to 50 lbs., and a bench. I won't make excuses about "oh if I had this machine it'd be easier". I am content with working with what I have, but I don't know what I should be doing with these. If anyone could help me with this whether it's advice on what exercises I could be doing and how often to do them or if I should be doing cardio everyday or anything else that might be needed.

I've said before that I want to get stronger, but I intend to push as hard as I can to achieve that.

You should take a look at the success story of Jesse "Wetbreasts" Shand, he lost a large amount of weight and he logged his activities daily online. 

Here is the link to the article on bodybuilding.com: 

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/350-pounds-and-counting-jesse-shands-incredible-journey.html

Don't be discouraged if progress is slow or if there are any bumps along the way. We all have to start somewhere.

Best of luck.

you are always going to have plateaus with weight loss or strength gain

A few years ago I went on an extreme diet, not to lose weight, but to reverse diabetes, and even eating 700 calories a day, I had times where the loss just.....stopped

Then it'd start again after a few days 

with the limited equipment you have, I's be doing split squats, pushups (with added weight once you get fairly strong) Overhead press, and some ring rows or inverted rows if you can find a waist high bar to do them on

Mike D96 might have some better suggestions, once he comes across this post

I do think you may have to get some more equipment sooner or later though, even if it's just more, heavier Dumbells

Ross Enamait has a good idea for homemade DBs: 3/4" metal pipe, 'standard' 1" weight plates, and hose clamps

In fact, he has a book, 'infinite intensity' that's all round fitness, with mostly cobbled together stuff, but its a bit advanced for a beginner, for now just do what you can with those weights and hit some easy cardio every day for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes

unfortunately until I have a steady job that keeps the bills paid and gives me enough to buy things that are not non essential I will have to sitck with what I have, but the good news is what I have now should keep me for a good long while and I am happy with that.

I just started a workout regimen and plan to do what I can with those dumbbells. I worked on my chest and back today with the Bench Press, Incline Press, Lying Fly, Straight arm pullover, Wide Row, Upright Row, Kneeling One Arm Rows, and One Arm Rows.

I am not too sure what my limit is so I just push for 10 reps in each exercise until my arms cant handle anymore, but I make sure I don't push myself to the point that I don't hurt myself.

Day 2 Legs boy this is going to be one heck of a workout.

Today I have the Dumbbell Lunge, Bodyweight Squat, and Dumbbell Stiff-leg Deadlift as the main focus with abdominal exercises for cardio.

For the abdominals I will be doing Planks, Cross Crunches, and 90 Degree Crunches

Day 3 which is working on my Arms. hoo boy i am sore i am not sure if i did the exercises wrong, or if it takes time for the soreness to go away or if i hurt myself, or if i just learn to live with it.

if you're pushing yourself you're gonna have soreness, injury and soreness feel different

using correct form is important to prevent the latter

Muscle soreness tends to dissipate fairly quickly and sometimes feels better after some light movement. Injuries tend to be fairly obvious and well painful.

so would it be painful in both a resting position and when im exercising? Because when im resting it doesn't hurt, only when im moving around or when I flex that muscle

Muscle soreness can last a couple days.  Usually with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), the pain is a dull or even burning sensation in the body of the muscle.  With an injury it's usually a very sharp pain at the site of the injury, which can be a joint, a cut, bruise, etc.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FerrousMaverick said:

Muscle soreness can last a couple days.  Usually with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), the pain is a dull or even burning sensation in the body of the muscle.  With an injury it's usually a very sharp pain at the site of the injury, which can be a joint, a cut, bruise, etc.

thank you very much for easing that worry off me. so it means that im doing alright so far, but the week is only half done. let's see what happens when I finish the rest

more DOMS, of course B)

after you've been lifting fo a bit the DOMS doesn't happen as much, it just takes a bit for your body to go 'Okay, I guess I can deal with this'

well today is my rest day. so I planned to either walk for  about 30 minutes and then go swimming.

but I do ask i planned my week around  a 4 day schedule.
day 1: Chest and Back
day 2: Legs and Core
day 3: Arms
day 4: rest

afterwards  i planned to start over with day 1 again or should i  do something else?

I would say swimming is probably one of the better things for recovery, as it is nearly zero impact.  There is no strain on any joints while doing it.

1 hour ago, SamuelMagee said:

just curious, but will a heating pad help ease muscle soreness if I use it before bed every night?

It could, but generally I find if I just get some light movement in I can lessen the soreness. Even attempting to flex seems to help for me atleast. Sleep helps too.

16 minutes ago, klimmilksq said:

It could, but generally I find if I just get some light movement in I can lessen the soreness. Even attempting to flex seems to help for me atleast. Sleep helps too.

i'll try that. maybe getting up once an hour to walk around for a  few minutes will help

keep it up

Day 6 done.  so am I supposed to try and target new muscle groups every day? because I built my 4 days schedule to target the broadest selection of muscles that I can so they all get stronger and I won't end up screwing myself over because I neglected one early on