Sign in to follow this  
Ganymede

Barbell Rows = elbow pain

Hi Guys

I started doing barbell rows about 7 weeks ago as part of SL5x5 - now that the weight is getting up a bit (45kg) I get significant pain in my left elbow.  Are wide lat pull downs an acceptable alternative?  I tried these in the gym this morning and the discomfort is much less.

Cheers

Dave

Where on the elbow is it hurting?

What if you use a much wider grip on rows?  Do you still have the same pain?  Or what about rows with dumbbells (where your hand can be in a neutral grip).  Or supinated (underhand) rows?

I remember having that as well at some point. Moving my grip in helped. I still think that dumbell rows, chest supported rows and bench rows are superior for back development. Both strength and size wise, while at the same time not taxing the rest of your body as much.

• Upvote 1

On 20/07/2016 at 4:03 PM, idle said:

Where on the elbow is it hurting?

What if you use a much wider grip on rows?  Do you still have the same pain?  Or what about rows with dumbbells (where your hand can be in a neutral grip).  Or supinated (underhand) rows?

The pain is in the whole joint, but mainly on the inside of the elbow between forearm and bicep.

A wider grip helps a little, as does doing dumbbell rows, but its still pretty sore.  I get the pain when doing bicep curls and hanging cleans too.  I forgot to try the underhand grip this morning, so will give that a try.

Cheers

Dave

That sounds like some inflamation on the biceps tendon.  I'd recommend some nice compression on the joint while you are working out for a while, and maybe not doing the curls and cleans until the pain subsides.  That lets you find the right grip width on the rows.  When you no longer have pain, bring the curls back in.  If after a week or two you still don't have pain, bring the cleans back in.

Question, how is the spin on your bar?  I've used some bars where the sleeves don't spin at all, so the extra torque is transferred directly to the joints.  That set me up with serious elbow pain for a couple months.  If I use a bar that has any reasonable amount of spin, then I can do hang cleans without problems.