Sign in to follow this  
Ganymede

Question Re Stalling.

Hi All,

When the program calls for a de-load when you stall, what exactly does stall mean?  Does it mean you actually go to failure on a squat (i,.e. dump the bar) or do you go to the point where you think you are going to fail the next rep?

Just curious - I have never had to dump a squat before and I'm not keen to try it!

Cheers

Dave.

A stall would be failing to complete the required reps for three consecutive sessions.

You don't have to dump the bar, but if you don't get five sets of 5 reps, you repeat the same weight the next session.  Three consecutive sessions where you fail to get 5x5 would be considered a stall, and you'd want to deload 10-15%.

This isn't a hard science.  Say you went 5, 5, 3, 2, 2 on the first day.  Then 5, 5, 5, 3, 2 on the second.  Finally, 5, 5, 5, 4, 3 on the third session, you may want to try that weight a 4th time.  You've been consistently getting more reps in each session, and you're close to 5x5.  Maybe rest and/or diet hasn't been on point, or it was a stressful week at work.  You can keep pushing that same weight indefinitely if you feel confident you'll get it, but it's generally a good idea to deload if you miss on 3 consecutive sessions.

I think it's important to distinguish between 'stalling' and 'failing', as I think you're confusing the two.

Failing is when you cannot make the needed number of reps in a set (you wimp out / you dump the bar / your form on the last rep(s) is atrocious / etc)

Stalling is where you fail at least one set three sessions in a row, in a particular exercise.

Now, if you don't have a cage/rack, you don't have to dump the bar. Don't force yourself into a situation that might injure you.

Of course, this is where a cage (or at the least, a squat rack)  comes in handy - if you can't make a rep, you can gently lower it onto the safeties. It's also a great psychological boost too. Without safeties you might have to err on the side of caution. But with 'em, you can squat down, and if you can't make it - you have a get out of jail free card.