Ganymede

Weak Shoulder Press And Bench

Hi All

Just found this forum and love it already.

I am a 51 year old guy from Auckland, New Zealand.  I have been lifting off and on (more off than on) most of my adult life, but never made great progress - mainly due to the usual culprits:  poor attention to diet, poor form, not enough discipline.

I have recently come back to lifting after a 2 year hiatus and am doing SL 5x5.  I had a good run with this program last time around and for the first time felt I was really getting somewhere, so I am keen to give it another go.

I know from that previous experience though, that I will max out on the overhead press and bench press way before I do on the other exercises.  I have always been weak in these two exercises, even when I was in my 20's. 

Is there anything I can do to help in this area?  Would it be worth adding in some DB flies or upright rows for example?  A buddy suggested that just for those 2 exercises, I could spend a couple of months doing 3 x 10 or even 3 x 12 sets with much lighter weights to see if that made a difference, but conventional wisdom seems to say the opposite - reduces reps and increase weight.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

I would exhaust my linear gains with 5x5 first, then try a different rep scheme for a couple months to see if it helps break through some plateaus.

You can switch it up after your first real stall -- don't have to go too wild with 5x5, but it's a pretty good rep scheme for balance between strength and muscle growth.

Hi Dave! Welcome to IS. :)

Welcome! What Idle said

Hi Dave. I think that if you fix the 'usual culprits' this time around you may surprise yourself with how far you can get. Use deloads as prescribed in the program and chip away at the gains for a while and then, as Idle says, you can reduce the number of sets on any sticky exercises to eke out more progress before switching programs.

P.S. I think tricep strength would be more useful than flies and upright rows if you did feel the need to add assistance exercises.

Oh, and micro load once shit gets heavy

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the sensible advice.

I'll stick with the program through 5x5 and 3x5 and then re asses and I'll throw in some extra triceps work as well.

Cheers

Dave