Sign in to follow this  
Jindog71

Pop In My Leg Doing Squats

I was on my last set of squats and on the way up I felt and heard a pop in my leg.  It was my quads near the knee, front outside of my leg.  So I stopped, it only hurt a little when I tried to squat and had no problem with my dead lift.  Since then (2 days ago) it hurts a little when I get up from sitting or going up stairs but not bad at all.  The small amount of research I have done looks like I tore a muscle just not that bad.  I tried to look up answers here but "pop" was a forbidden search term.

Questions, I warm up but I don't really stretch that much, is this where I went wrong?  How long before I squat again?  Any help would be great.

See how it feels on squat day. If it hurts don't squat. If it is just a bit achy then do your warm ups gradually and stop when it feels like it may get worse. Better to feel your way back into it slowly than to go too soon and break yourself. Some light work often helps get things moving but take it easy.

I agree with Mark.  Probably just a minor muscular thing, and if so, then some light, bodyweight or bar-only squats will get the blood moving in the area and promote healing. 

Incidentally, my legs pop all the time when I squat, but it's old creaky knees in my case.  I'm assuming that wasn't the case with you.:)

I sometimes get a weird sort of roll /pop in my left knee when squatting, in my case it hurts like a bastard and I terminate the set, but the pain is brief, and resetting my stance usually takes care of it

Could be your iliotibial band snapping over a bony protrusion, or it could be an injury of the vastus lateralis muscle.

if that was in reply to me, it's on the inside of the knee, I might be wrong, but I don't think the ITB attaches there

It sure feels like something snapping over a bony protrusion, that's exactly how it feels

Twas to the op of the thread.

But your roll and pop could be meniscus or ligament related?

no idea, it's quite intermittent, and adjusting stance usually fixes it

that's also the knee that I can pop repeatedly by sorta kicking it

I've had an x ray, but the doc just said arthritis

Rest and take some advil.  

Where in Western NY are you?  There are a few people on the forum in the Buffalo are and I am in Rochester.