SilverOx

Cholesterol Results

6 posts in this topic

I had to go for a health check for a renewed health cover for work and got the results through today.

All is fine and everything is pretty much within guidelines apart from HDL cholesterol. Anything over 1.00 mmol/l is considered acceptable but higher the better.

Mine is .67 mmol/1 which is considered a risk.

Due to my overall cholesterol being good at 3.69 mmol/l I've been told I shouldn't be concerned but to look at my diet. Generally my diet is good and I eat most of what is recommended.

So I'm looking at ways to increase my HDL levels in addition to tweaking the diet.

Omega 3 and Niacin supplements seem to be recognized as helping with this.

Has anyone got a similar cholesterol level and am I wasting my time and money going down the supplement route?

Niacin can help but it can bump up your liver enzymes and fish oils usually are great for a reduction of triglycerides but I haven't seen them do much for HDL.  Grass fed and organic meats and vegetables can help also.  Results will vary.  Try two tablespoons of olive oil a day and add in cardio if your not doing it.  30 to 40 minutes of steady state and try to keep your heart rate under 120.  That will help with your lifting also.

Thanks Mike.

I've been looking to reintroduce some cardio at some point so this could be the kick up the arse I need.

I'll go with the fish oil as well as trying the olive oil.

You may want to add olive oil or coconut oil to your diet. As well as omega 3 supplements.

Anyway just make sure to keep an eye on it and get tested regularly so you can reassess your needs.

Just an update on last year.

My HDL cholesterol went up from .69 to 1.39mmol/1 which is well into the healthy range.

Cut out the crap in my diet for the last 6 months and increased the amount of fish (around 4 times a week) I eat and it seems to have done the trick.

My overall cholesterol went down as well.

sweet!