Sign in to follow this  
adnan

Sumo Or Conventional ??

Hi All

I am a person with short arms and long torso and when i searched i found that Sumo dead lift is better for me

But i feel strongest at conventional

So what i do now ??

1- Train Sumo and focus on assistance exercises for sumo dead lift and increase mobility.....etc ??

what best assistance exercise for sumo ?

2- keep training conventional as i am strongest at it ?

Thanks in advance

Maybe switch your programming to sumo for a couple months and see where you end up.  It's not reasonable to expect that your sumo would immediately be as strong as the conventional style you've put training time into.

After a few months, if you're on par or stronger with sumo, keep rolling with it.  But if you're finding that you stall out more often then go back to conventional.

Sumo may require a while of tweaking form, so be prepared for that as well.  

In the end, it's preference -- comfort in the mechanics of the lift can be the decider for which is the stronger movement.  Do what feels best to you, and don't base all your decisions on what you read online.  It can be good for finding new ideas to try, but generalizations aren't always accurate.  Trial new methods for 2-3 months then re-evaluate. 

• Upvote 1

fuck sumo

• Upvote 1

no, the bottom position is too low

if i must fuck at that altitude I switch to doggy  :P

Tried sumo, genuinely thought I was going to prolapse and vowed never again to put myself in that position

Sumo is 'not' better. If conventional works better for you then stick with it, if sumo works better stick with it.

Short arms don't mean much if you also have short legs.  Folks with longer legs might get some benefit from sumo, but arm length just means you have further to pull.  If you used a deadlift suit, then sumo might be required for that.

I personally don't commit to one or the other.  Conventional is required for strongman, where straps and hitching are allowed.  You have a choice for powerlifting, where neither straps nor hitching are allowed.  Since I've competed in both arenas, I don't really have a favorite.  I do get benefit from switching off for a while.

http://strengtheory.com/should-you-deadlift-conventional-or-sumo/