Sign in to follow this  
IrishStu

Best Stretches For Knees

So I've always had some trouble with my knees probably the result of running on hard ground and a few injuries whilst doing MMA a couple of years ago. I'm sure form has a lot to do with it now, mainly my front squats as I've only started doing them last week, but I just wanted to know how you guys stretch out prior to a squat session.

Stu

Myself I take my squat stance, bend and touch toes while trying to keep legs straight, then lower into the bottom of the squat while pressing knees outward with my elbows

I also do legs swings, and if I'm feeling tight, maybe some goblet squats

• Upvote 1

I've had to stop squatting due to arthritis in my right knee, which sucks, but the good part is I learned a lot about my knees when I was going through rehab. In addition to the arthritis problem, my kneecap was not tracking correctly due to some muscle imbalances. To help both issues I learned a bunch of stretches, which I have been doing every day for almost a year now. They've helped both my knees a lot. Here they are, for what it's worth:

1. Quad stretch

2. Hamstring stretch

3. Front hip flexor stretch

4. IT band stretch (since I hate this particular stretch, I just foam roll each of my IT bands)

Once a week I also do an hours' worth of simple single leg exercises to keep the muscles around the knees strong. Those have helped a lot too.

Thanks for the advice! I've been doing a lot of hamstring work, mainly laying flat on the ground on my belly, having someone pinning my feet to the ground and then going from flat to raising my body up vertical while keeping my back straight. Killer workout but having great success nocking them out now.

Squat form was terrible with high weight too, was leaning forward a lot which unknown to me at the time was putting a lot of pressure on my kness but I'm working on correcting it now and ever since my knees feel great. It really is true that squatting properly can actually improve your knees!