Sign in to follow this  
BenSG96

Lower Back Soreness For 3 Wks

Hi guys, it's been three weeks since the soreness had started. After squatting and deadlifting on the same day, and jerking on the latter exercises causing my back to round, I felt a slight tweak in my right lower back. The pain wasn't crippling, it just kind of flared when I tried to bend down. A couple of days later it died down, however, when I sit cross-legged, it would tend to ache. Is this just a muscle strain or is it something more sinister?

could be a muscle in spasm, I'd see a doctor if you can

Sitting cross legged puts you in a rounded back position. I'd suggest you lay off the back squats and deads for a bit and learn how to do hip hinges. I cured my 20 years of low back pain with tennis ball massage for the trigger points and hip hinges. To do these latter take a stance a little bit wider than your shoulders, with a slight bend in the knees and thrust your butt backwards, then thrust it forwards to rise up. This exercise is called a Good Morning. Do these daily for a few days and then hit the gym. With regard to squats, I'd suggest you learn to do Front Squats  before returning to Back Squats, they not only teach you how to squat without excessive forward lean, (Front Squats should have no forward lean), they will also get you you good at squatting. With regard to deads, the thing to remember is to raise the chest up prior to pulling, people who don't do so tend to have a rounded lower back during the pull, not good at all. Rack Pulls are a good way to learn to deadlift, they teach the hip hinge well, you might do a few of those too.