Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FerrousMaverick

competition
November 2015 Ironstrong Strength Extravaganza

31 posts in this topic

All scoring continues to be in Wilkes coefficients (sorry, no adjustments based on age).  This year, the winners for Absolute Best and Beast Unleashed will have custom T-Shirts that are not available on the store (please PM me a mailing address once I notify you of your win).

Rules and Awards

We support 4 lifts now:

• Squat: hips below knees, no wraps (neoprene sleeves OK).  Stand for a couple seconds before reracking it.
  • Bench: hips and shoulders in contact with the bench, heal does not have to be on the floor.  Wrist wraps OK, no elbow sleeves.  Pause for a second on the chest, and a couple seconds at lockout.
  • Deadlift: no straps or compression shorts/suits.  Both conventional and sumo are legal, no hitching.  Hold for a couple seconds at the top.
  • Overhead Anyhow: no equipment, implement, or technique restrictions, bar must be on the floor at the beginning of the lift, and overhead with arms locked out at the end of the lift. Hold lockout for a couple seconds before dropping it.

The squat/bench/deadlift still have raw powerlifting rules.  The pauses listed are to demonstrate control over the weight.  In other words, it needs to have a true lock out and not force the judges to make a judgement call based on freeze frames.

There are also 5 awards:

• Best Single: The best Wilkes score on any 1 lift.
  • Best Two-For: The best combined Wilkes score on any 2 lifts.
  • Best Total: The best combined Wilkes score on any 3 lifts.
  • Absolute Best: The best combined Wilkes score on all 4 lifts.
  • Beast Unleashed: The highest total amount in weight that a person lifts.

Any one person can have a clean sweep, but more than likely we should have different names for each of the awards.  I understand the "Beast Unleashed" award favors bigger guys, but hopefully that total will be something worth respecting.  It's also something that's a lot more easily understood than Wilkes scores.  We very well may have different names for "Absolute Best" and "Beast Unleashed".  That's something I'm hoping for.

Event Dates and Submission Guidelines

The contest will be for the whole month of Novemeber 2015!  All submissions must be lifts that occurred during the month of November.

• Start Date: November 1, 2015
  • End Date: November 30, 2015

All entries must be on video, and we require the following:

• Body weight on the day of the lift.
  • Weight of the loaded barbell or implement (overhead anyhow).
  • Video must be made during the month of November
  • Use an angle we can accurately see the pauses (at lockout and on the chest for bench press)
  • If you lift in shorts and a t-shirt, please tuck your shirt in so we can see the hips and the knees clearly.
  • If you have multiple submissions, label them clearly.  The best legal lift will be used out of the lot.

Everyone with a training log on this site is welcome to participate, even if you start it in the month of November.  The judges will be the site moderators, and they will merely be judging whether the lift counts or not.  The judges will add the Wilkes score to your entry.

Within the first week of December, I (or one of the other mods) will announce the results in a new thread.  I will set up a spreadsheet on Google Sheets to keep track of everything and share that link with the other mods.

Please Participate!

This should be a fun competition.  We've expanded the dates so that people who have competitions in that month can use video from that competition, and it should easily fit most people's training schedules.

If you only want to participate in one event, go for it.  If you want all the glory, go for it.  Participating in this competition requires at least one entry, that's it.  You can participate as much or as little as you want.

So anyone besides myself going to participate this year?

I am intending to have a mock meet day in a couple of weeks' time, Berin.

I'll put up attempts as usual.

Keep reminding us, Mav.  I'll almost certainly have my first go this year, just to get my feet wet.  I may need to post my numbers in lbs to get my total into triple figures though :)

Sounds good.  It's been unusually quiet in this corner of the forum, so I was getting concerned. :)

Funny how that works out. I'm actually testing this week, so I'll put some up.

Super busy starting a new job next week, but let me know any way that I can help too : )

I forgot about this, might enter for bench, possibly deadlift

Not me, my lifts suck  :lol:

Next week is gonna be pretty busy, so I'm going to go ahead and submit the 3 lifts I tested from 11/7 through 11/13. I might do some overhead stuff later, but I don't have any specific plans.

These are all raw using a belt and Rehbands.

Squat: 450 lbs

Bench: 335 lbs

Deadlift: 550 lbs

Total: 1335 lbs

Bodyweight: 193 lbs

Wilks for the 3 is around 392 or 404 age adjusted, but I'm not sure what calculator we're using here.

450 squat:

315/325/335 bench:

515/540/550 deadlift:

We are not doing age adjusted wilkes numbers.  Good work!  I hope to have my entry ready by Saturday after next.

Injured my pec so don't think I'll be going for a bench PB, I was aiming for 380 :'(

This is my squat entry, 105kg, at a bodyweight of 

Calc lbs: 157.20 Calc kg: 71.45

My other lifts will follow as I get through the other sessions in this training week.

Anyone else who feels like entering, just do it!  You only have to do 1 rep.  It's easy :)

Great job.  You have some super long femurs  :o

My entries will be posted this weekend, I'm testing throughout the week.

Don't forget, there are 4 events if you choose to do them all.

Great job.  You have some super long femurs  :o

My entries will be posted this weekend, I'm testing throughout the week.

Thanks, Mav!  Next year I'm hoping there is an award for Longest Femurs.  It's my best event :D

Maybe I'll post my pathetic attempts  :lol:

Hmmm....not sure if my attempts prompted Art to post his 'pathetic attempts'.... :D :D

Go for it, Art.  We lost our dignity years ago, we ain't got nothing to lose now.

Here is my bench attempt of 70kg.

I hope you appreciate the near death experience I had to go through to make and record this lift for your viewing pleasure.  I haven't benched anything above 50-something kilos in years, and this 70kg lift nearly dropped on my face, after I finally managed to unrack the damn thing.  Oh the shame... :)

Nice solid lift.  Super long pause.

Long femurs, long paws...I'm either a jackal or a kangaroo :)

I'll see next week, when it's 531s week anyway

My third and final entry is this token deadlift, after which my lower back was giving me grief so I stopped.

110kg

Here's my entry

Squat -150kg

DL - 190kg

Bench - 100kg

BW - 73kg

Good job everyone!  Unfortunately I could not get my stuff together to put my entries in.  I'll be tallying the results soon and should get them up by the end of today if all goes well.  T-Shirt winners will be notified by private message by the end of the week (Sunday) for details of how to collect.

Sadly, no entries from me too. Maybe next year...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0