Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Doms-Type Pain Between Around Back/shoulder Blades After Benching

I had a question. I've been benching for a little bit and it has always seemed ok. I feel the usual post-workout soreness in my pecs and a little in my triceps, but the weight is getting heavier for me to drive up compared to how it was before. Since a couple of sessions ago, I struggled a lot to get the weight up and have gotten a little wobbly, so I've tried to fix my form and pinch my shoulder blades behind me more because I think I wasn't really doing that enough, and that's probably why I was so wobbly. I found out that I was getting my shoulder blades tucked behind me, but then I lost that stability when I unracked the weight. So after I got the bar off the rack they would fall out of place and made me roll around.

Since I tried to correct my form I do notice that I am much more stable when I bench and I was able to get the bar up wobble free. I noticed too that my chest feels a lot more worked than it ever did before, so I assume I'm doing it right. The thing now is that I've been getting a DOMS type soreness in my shoulder blades. It's not like a sharp pain or anything that feels horribly wrong. It's just sore like the rest of my body was when I was starting up. Is this normal due to that I just started being able to keep my shoulder blades behind me throughout the entire set? Has anyone else had this too? I wasn't sure if having soreness in your shoulder blades/back is normal or not while doing heavy benching.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, my "heavy" bench press is only about 190. I've always struggled in this range though and I'm hoping with this correction I'll finally get past it.

It's great that you are working on overall tightness on the bench press.  It makes a big difference when you get it right.  Any time you actively use muscles that aren't used to being used, you will have soreness with them.  That said, one of the better write ups on the bench press happens to be by Paul Carter.  I'm not his biggest fan by far, but I have to give props when he actually has a good series of articles.

There's a several step process that I use to get under the bar and stay tight.  I pretty much follow all the form and set up advice in Parts 1 & 2 of that series.  The only difference that I do happens to be how I unrack the bar since 99% of the time I don't have someone to give me a hand off.  There was a couple who was on this forum a long a while ago, and what the guy did was lift his butt off the bench to get the leverage to unrack the bar, and then as he locked his feet into place the bar and butt go back in to place.  It works pretty well.

As to the soreness in your shoulder blades, it's hard to tell whether you are just experiencing soreness as you get used to form corrections or if you are overcorrecting.  Review the bench series and figure out if what you are doing is more than what is described there.

I'd say yes, it's normal. At least I get the same thing. BP can be pretty rough on your upper back.

Ok good deal. Thanks for the input. I wanted to compare to make sure I wasn't doing something that could potentially harm my progress. Thanks again!