Sign in to follow this  
CarlHmS

Deadlift Flexibility

I have long known that my hamstring flexibility is horrible. I can hardly bend over without rounding my back. I cannot even sit in an L shape with legs on the floor and back against a wall with a straight back.

I used to think that I couldn't get into a proper deadlift position because of this. But today I filmed my sets and to my eye it looks like I can get into the right position.

I figured I would ask to confirm. My form might degrade a little, but the very first rep looks good, implying that flexibility isn't the issue.

For context this is probably a 7 rep max or so at the moment as I'm a bit detrained right now.

Thoughts?

That is proper set up form.  Shoulders just in front of the bar, arms coming straight down to the bar.  For your limbs lengths, that is precisely how the deadlift set up should be.

In some ways the "nocebo" affect hits us harder than we think.  Nocebos are just like placebos except the impact is negative instead of positive.  If you believe your hamstring flexibility is off, then your body will figure out a way to make it so.  If you believe you are a human pretzel, your body will figure out how to be as close to one as it can.

As Berin said above, these are as good as they can be. Of course, 7 RM is not very heavy, so we won't know whether the form will break down a bit on a 3RM weight.

Also, Berin is spot on at the "nocebo". I didn't know of this term till I read his post though. 

Thanks guys. I'm not concerned about form deterioration, as that would mean lack of strength or focus, not a physical inability to assume the proper position. If you can get in position with light weight on the bar you can do it with a heavy weight too. If you can't hold the form when lifting heavy that's another issue entirely, and one easier to fix than something like short hamstrings.