Sign in to follow this  
5inthehall

Take Up Space, Ladies!

MarkG   

Like :)

Art   

there are a few big strong ladies at my gym, showing up most of the guys (including me) this makes me happy

take up space, ladies

Raincoat   

Love it

lunamud   
Art   

Well on the man spreading, she felt much less comfortable due to societal norms, and she was paid more attention because the behavior is much less common (in fact almost nonexistent) with women

the first ladies to dye their hair pink got stared at a lot (and often with hostility) too

Deviate from the expected norm, and folks notice, and some hate

Wanna see stares and uncomfortable hostility? Watch a guy wear a kilt in any southern town when there's no 'Scottish heritage' shindig going on and it's not Halloween  :lol:

Agreed 100% on the raising of a daughter, that's far more empowering than mere talk, and IMO a lot healthier than the male bashing that passes for 'empowerment' in some circles

I want to see women who are proud to be seen, unhesitating to speak, strong, and confident

Hell, I'd like to see that in myself :lol:

Guru   

Wonderful!

Thanks for sharing, Amy.

lunamud   

Well on the man spreading, she felt much less comfortable due to societal norms, and she was paid more attention because the behavior is much less common (in fact

Agreed 100% on the raising of a daughter, that's far more empowering than mere talk, and IMO a lot healthier than the male bashing that passes for 'empowerment' in some circles

I want to see women who are proud to be seen, unhesitating to speak, strong, and confident

Hell, I'd like to see that in myself :lol:

Wait....

Are you saying that kindness, strength, and confidence are good qualities for all humans to strive towards? Male AND female?

Mind blown. :P

Art   

stunning, ain't it?

I get why some women don't wind up that way, societal norms and all

wtf my problem is I dunno  :unsure:  :lol:

That was a great video.  I'm trying to raise a daughter that beams with confidence, is strong both physically and mentally, and is someone who enjoys life.  It's a lot harder than you think.

I can say she has confidence where she has competence, and outside of that she is very much the opposite.  While I don't necessarily want her to promote herself as something she isn't, I would like her to have a more confidence in her ability to learn and gain competence in new areas.  Something along the lines of "I haven't done that yet, but I think I can figure it out"

While physical strength has helped a lot with overall confidence, I can't say it's helped her stand up to people who use volume as intimidation.  While that's part of her personal make-up, I feel like it's a common thing that many women deal with.  My wife has had to develop ways of professionally telling people to go f*** themselves and them being happy to do it.  However, it's not an innate gift for sure.  Years of dealing with difficult people is what forged that ability.

Art   

I have that problem myself, with loudmouths, but when I shut up, it's not because I'm backing down

either (1) I've decided the other is incompetent to hold a sensible convo with, so I'm done,(if it's this one I'll likely walk off) or (2) I've decided violence is eminent

I've been told I can go from mild looking to scary awful sudden  :lol:

MarkG   

Years of dealing with difficult people is what forged that ability.

Read all about it in her new biography, "Married to Mav" :)

Read all about it in her new biography, "Married to Mav" :)

I can't confirm or deny any associations you may make from that.  :)  She is a property manager and people are so understanding when you tell them they have to get their rake boards fixed...

I can say she has confidence where she has competence, and outside of that she is very much the opposite.  While I don't necessarily want her to promote herself as something she isn't, I would like her to have a more confidence in her ability to learn and gain competence in new areas.  Something along the lines of "I haven't done that yet, but I think I can figure it out"

This is so important for both boys and girls.  My daughter is my most confident kid right now, but she's only 10 and I fear that once she hits puberty some of that confidence will slip.  

The qualities I most want for all three of my children are kindness, courage, and resilience.  Somewhere along the way, most of us stop trying new things because we are afraid we will fail.  Of course we will fail.  That's part of life, and part of learning, and nothing to fear.  I want my children to have the courage to try new things and risk failure, and the resilience to get back up, brush off the dirt, and keep going.  (Like Art, I want these things for myself, too.)

I just clicked on lunamud's links.  LOL at the "manspreading."  I've never been a regular user of public transportation, but this phenomenon isn't limited to the subway.  I notice in business settings that men sit back, spread out, and take up as much space as possible, whereas women often shrink into themselves and seemingly try to disappear.

lunamud   

I just clicked on lunamud's links.  LOL at the "manspreading."  I've never been a regular user of public transportation, but this phenomenon isn't limited to the subway.  I notice in business settings that men sit back, spread out, and take up as much space as possible, whereas women often shrink into themselves and seemingly try to disappear.

Did you watch the TED talk in that article? (with another strong Amy)