Sign in to follow this  
David

David Builds New Legs

Saturday morning - just did Day 6 outlined above, went great. Had extra time, ended with 1000m rowing. Haven't felt so good cardio-wise since going for a morning run months ago. I'm pretty relieved. I'll be able to make this rowing thing work moving forward.

The biggest takeaway, though was my SBD knee sleeves. Holy crap. I haven't worn these since I stopped squatting. I wore them through the entire session today, including the rowing at the end. I took them off at the gym before driving home, and for the first time in weeks, my right knee actually felt normal. No pain, no slight swelling, nothing out of the ordinary. I'm sure that will change again as it cools off or something - the sleeves are quite warm - but what a great discovery.

I haven't used them during PT sessions because I wanted to feel exactly what was going on without any assistance or support. But if I'm going to be just moving around and doing other stuff not specifically related to rehab, seems like wearing this kind of support / protection for this damaged kneecap is exactly what I should be doing. Can't wait to show them off to the PT and see what she says.

Onwards.

sorry that one session went wrong, but good the next one was better

A suggestion

Most folks agree, if it's more important, do it first

maybe incorporate the posthab into your warm up?

that way they're done if the heavier stuff gets problematic, and you don't miss any posthab

Art that's a terrific idea, thanks so much. I'm going to do exactly that.

:)

Aaand that's what I did today. Day 1, putting the PT stuff first. It's fine, especially on leg days because it's not like I need to do my heavy lifts first really.

Another high point of today was getting a hands on lesson in how to properly use the rowing machine. My teacher - a 16 year old family friend who's been rowing for three years on the high school team. I have read about how to do this properly, but he was able to give me all these helpful cues. He's a born teacher. I swear I'll be getting out on the water someday soon. I really want to do this. My new obsession I guess.

I love the way a positive attude and an open hand leads people places. It's awesome seeing how you've evolved through each struggle and found new ways to push and enjoy yourself. That's inspiring.

@Mathiah - thanks dude.

The rowing is awesome - I totally love it. I'm taking it slow to start to get used to it.  I'll need to pick up speed a bit to get the kind of cardio I was benefiting from with running, but I'll get there.  There are ways you can mess up the form and I don't want to have to unlearn things.

YESTERDAY AND MONDAY: 

061015_workout_posthab-W3d2and3.jpg

Good work in here.  I'm really glad to see you overcome these hurdles and stay active any way you can.

good work in here, rowing absolutely can replace running as cardio, with much lower stress to the lowerbody

Thanks, gentlemen. I was off today due to daughters graduation from middle school. Tomorrow was supposed to be rack pulls and PT assistance, but I just remembered I have a full PT session Friday and I'm working a sixth day Saturday. So tomorrow will be OHP Day, I'll get rack pulls in if I can on Saturday after work, along with some rowing and then start week 3 on Sunday.

Scheduling all this is so complicated sometimes. And I love to complain. And I'm not giving up or leaving. Im not quitting. This is mine and I ain't giving it up.

Onwards.

Great work David, you've really turned the situation around! Looks like you have a solid plan to continue getting stronger and fitter.

Thanks, Patrick!  We'll see how it goes.  It just feels good to moving forward in some way.

Yesterday was rowing.  I'm seeing it's not realistic to think I'm actually going to do any PT work on rowing days.  I don't really want to anyway.  I want rowing days to be like running days - low stress, more or less autopilot.  Lifiting days are for high intensity, PT days are for focus.  Rowing days are for low intensity and to give my head a break.

Did I mention I'm loving the rowing?  Not only is it a good cardio workout, my chest and arms feel like they are already getting bigger as a result. And the pulling movement itself is a perfect complement to the heavy pushing during benching. Good stuff.

• Upvote 1

Yesterday - Friday - I had a full physical therapy session. Basically an all-legs day, all the PT exercises in one session.

I'm toying with the idea of making this a regular thing, instead of trying to divide up the ten exercises across multiple days. So a bench plus assistance day, a legs day, and an OHP plus assistance day with rowing in between, every week. The only thing that would get left out of this would be the rack pulls, which I could maybe do on OHP day. If I'm rowing twice or three time a week, I could probably afford to drop one or two uPper body assistance exercises anyway.

The therapist - ok, her name is Sam, not sure why I haven't just named her before now - Sam says in all honesty I have probably plateau'd at this point with the PT exercises, though I do continue to make small progress. She said one day a week moving forward would be fine to maintain the infrastructure strength I have gained, and that daily stretching, icing, and anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen etc are the critical things in continuing to ease any knee pain from the arthritis. She also said the fact that I'm contuining to train on other days - especially if I'm doing things like rowing or elliptical or biking - will also help keep my legs in shape. So basically she has signed off on this plan. Which is good, because I trust her.

The only additional thing I would like to take away from this rehab program is being able to walk down steps without feeling like my right kneecap is being hit with a hammer. I'm seeing marked improvement going UP steps. I'm hoping that continued and consistent PT type work will eventually do the same thing for stepping down. Everything I read says it can take months to for this kind of improvement to happen, so my intention is to stay the course and keep doing what I've been taught.

Sam asked me if I wanted yesterday to be my last full session. I'm not quite ready to cut the cord. I'd like to go once a week until I see the surgeon again at the end of this month and then see what's next. Thanks as always for the support. Onwards.

PS I'm finally starting to drop a couple of pounds, thanks, apparently, to the rowing. Out of bed this morning at 188. Long time coming, I'm really glad to see that.

Congrats on the weight loss. Finally we know the name of 'the therapist!' Haha that's been an ongoing saga of intrigue :)

Nice progress!  Losing weight ain't too shabby either.

lol thanks men :)

TODAY

POSTHAB ~ Week 3
DAY 5

June 13, 2015

BODY WEIGHT 188

OVERHEAD PRESS

1 REP MAX 155

% WEIGHT (lbs) SETS REPS

30% 45 1 10

40% 60 1 5

50% 80 1 3

60% 95 1 1

75% 115 5 5

40% 60 1 20

Est. 1RM per top set 134

Dips Bw  2x10, 1x11

Side Laterals 15lbs  3x12

Tricep Ext 35lbs  3x12

EZ Bar Curls 40lbs  2x12, 1x10

interesting idea to get the PT done all in one go, and good to see you are loving the rowing too, great that the replacement for the running is something you are enjoying as much if not more :-) 

Thanks, Neil!

ROWING

(Ergometer)

16:00 @ 2300 meters

5:00 rest

16:00 @ 2500 meters

About 20-24 strokes per minute

Felt great - my body is still getting used to this. I feel this subtle burn in my delts hours after I'm done, and my hips and legs feel, not stiff exactly, but tight. It's definitely a good cardio workout, but not quite the same as a half- hour run. I will get more of that as I start upping the speed, I guess. Onwards.

Looks to be working out well David, good stuff.

Thanks, Patrick!

YESTERDAY AND MONDAY, in color:

061715_workout_posthab-W4d1and2.jpg

solid work David

Hello. I spent last Fri afternoon and Saturday morning unloading and distributing 5 yards of mulch around the yard. Sunday we travelled to a wedding in Brooklyn, stayed overnight and came home Monday. Tuesday I rowed, Wednesday I did legs with the PT, yesterday I benched, wrapping up with rowing, and today I rowed.

Today for the first time I really pushed the rowing pace. I need it to replace running. According to an article I read, 2:20 per 500 meters is roughly equivalent to a 9:00 mile. Today I got closer to that.

I found a nice iPhone app that will upload my rowing workout info to an online Concept2 log. It also copies really easily. Here are Tues, Thurs and Fri:

TUESDAY

Meters Total Time Pace Date Age Class Slide? Comments

2681 15:10.0 2:49.7 6/26/2015 52 H standard 1st

2846 15:08.0 2:39.5 6/26/2015 52 H standard 2nd

2789 15:32.0 2:47.0 6/26/2015 52 H standard 3rd

THURSDAY

1884 11:06.0 2:56.7 6/25/2015 52 H standard wrap up to bench session

FRIDAY

2449 15:10.0 3:05.7 6/23/2015 52 H standard part 1

2551 15:14.0 2:59.1 6/23/2015 52 H standard part 2

1787 10:20.0 2:53.4 6/23/2015 52 H standard part 3 sprints

The benching workout yesterday was just maintenance, as will OHP tomorrow. I'm still trying to get settled into a plan. The priority right now is getting the rowing up to where it can replace running. I need and want more cardio, that's the priority right now. Once I've got that working, I'll start progressing my bench and OHP seriously again. Thanks for reading and for your patience in the face of me not visiting other logs.

Oh and the mulching - I picked up an awesome case of poison ivy on my right arm. Haven't had a case this bad in years. But it still beats patellofemoral arthritis. Onwards. :)

nice work aside from poison ivy (soooo glad I'm immune) 

Thanks art. I posted a pic of the rash on FB. It's pretty gross.

OHP this morning - worked up to 110lbs, 5x5. Back off set 80lbs x 15. Then a bunch of upper body assistance. Already the rowing is improving my upper body strength. Feels good.

Ended with rowing. Felt awesome.

Meters Total Time Pace Date Age Class Slide? Comments

1855 10:08.0 2:43.8 6/27/2015 52 H standard post OHP

Onwards.

Onwardsss!