Sign in to follow this  
David

David Builds New Legs

This is my new log. I can't squat or deadlift or run again until I correct some longstanding muscle imbalances that really pre-date my strength training. I'll be posting my rehab stuff here. It's going to include the upper body stuff I do in order to not atrophy. Not sure how much commentary there's going to be. I'll add the link to my other log shortly for anyone interested in how I got here.

Here's the old log. How this happened. Or at least what it felt like. Etc. http://ironstrong.org/index.php/topic/2628-david-rehabs-starts-a-new-log/page-17#entry292771

In for rehab

You know I'm in.

in

Hey, thanks for the support, men.  Glad to have you aboard. 

In my never-ending quest to streamline my logging and posting process, I'm going to try to simply taking a pic of the log sheet I've made for this rehab process and posting the pic following each session.  

TODAY

IMG_3040.JPG

nice, I'd like to see what some of those supination killers are

I'm in!

Had to do a double take after scrolling down and seeing what i thought said 'inside out leg balls' :) Good luck with the rehab.

@mark - lol

@art - I'll see if I can pull up examples. If not I'll video myself or something. I've made up all these names to fight apathy. I'm sure they are called something else in proper circles

Hey idle - I thought it fit better here because it's really not strength training. But if you guys think it should be moved, I've no objection.

Good luck, David. This looks a lot like the PT that I had to do for my knee wonkiness.

As far as I can tell, this is the only active thread on the forum which isn't in the logs section! Dare to be different, David :)

Toady for the first time in a long time I did one legged RDLs

holy crap!

I will have to continue doing them unweighted until I can get through all the reps each set without touching down with the other foot

I know, tell me about it. I'm just starting to manage a few reps without touching the wall next to me. But I am getting stronger. My balance is getting better. The progress is glacial, but it's definitely getting better.

The most exciting development this week was that I have learned how to really grip the floor with my instep when doing my parallel box squats. Like I can now do them consistently without rolling to the outsides of my feet. That's major progress. I couldn't even conceive how to do that 3 weeks ago.

Onwards.

Well, so much for posting regularly here. I'm still at it, making slow but steady progress. We've increased the depth on the box squats to a couple inches above parallel and I am now doing them as goblet squats with a 12lb dumbbell. I'm able to keep my feet parallel with the insides of my feet on the ground now (not rolling out) by kind of forcing them to grip the floor, which is a major improvement. It was a breakthrough learning how to do that.

Today we doubled the height on the step-downs to 8 inches, which kind of destroyed my right knee - it hurts like hell right now, even after icing - but I'm trusting the process. We've also added back in leg presses. I'm doing 4 sets of 10 at 140lbs with no trouble. She's increased the resistance band I use for the lateral monster walks and added clamshells at the end of the sessions, which is really working my piriformis and my glutes. I'm getting gradually better at the single leg RDLS, but still have a ways to go before I can consistently do a set of 10 without touching the wall next to me for momentary support. My single leg ball catching, though, is much much better - so much so that I am now doing them standing on a mini-trampoline rather than the floor.

In general I can feel the infrastructure muscles that control the knee movements all getting stronger. It's just taking forever. But this is a marathon right? Being able to squat in some form at least is a relief. And I've got enough exercises to do now that when I finish a session I'm actually tired, like after a real workout. Cardio is suffering. Oh well.

Cardio is in fact suffering David. Sounds like you're making a lot of headway despite the niggles.

Good to see you still at it, and improving.

Good to see you still at it, and improving.

+1

I've quite single leg RDLs, keeping single leg work in other ways

Thanks, men.

More progress....

*I got through all sets of 8-inch step ups and step downs with markedly less pain than last week.

*On my own I upped the weight on the goblet box squats to 25lbs during today's PT session. Felt fine, and my form looked good. 30lbs next.

*We upped the weight on the leg presses to 160lbs. Now doing 3x10 at that weight.

*For the first time ever I made an entire set (10 reps) of single leg RDLs without touching the wall to keep my balance. I was standing on my left leg. The right leg still needs work, but it's almost there.

*We agreed to try empty bar low-bar back squats Friday to see where I'm at. This will be the first time in three months I've back squatted. Fingers crossed. I'm really ready to start learning how to squat again.

*I've been consistent with the twice daily stretching and especially the foam rolling. The rolling in particular is helping the kill the knee pain. I'm going to start rolling my IT more often, like 4x a day. PT says it can't hurt.

I updated Jim Steele a couple of days ago and he suggested I start progressing my bench and OHP again. I guess I sounded ready. He's suggesting a four week cycle, working up to 5x5 sets at 65% of max first week, 70% second week, 75% third, 65% fourth and ending each session with an AMRAP back off set at like 40% or so. I can't believe how lucky I am to have him as a coach. I see him only intermittently, but he says to keep him updated, email anytime, stop by the gym anytime. What a great human being. I'm blessed. Onwards.

Hey david, stopped in as thought this would be some sort of robotics experiment

Glad to see the progress is good...and having just read that last post it made me realise I must find my foam roller and start that daily, my knees still tight and it def helped, even though rolling the IT band was excruciatingly painful...

Good news!

Sadly, I no longer do Single leg RDLs, it was actually causing problems

If I restatrt them, it won't be 'you must get this many reps' right off the bat

@Neil - hi, welcome back! I actually asked my therapist if the IT band ever stops being tight/hurting like hell when rolled, and she said not really. She said rolling it ten times a day might be too much because it can bruise, etc, but 3, 4, 5 times isn't too much. In my case, it's playing a big role right now in pulling my kneecap slightly off track, hence the knee pain. I feel like I'm getting a masters degree in leg mechanics or something.

@Art - to be honest, those one-leg RDLs are the hardest exercise I'm doing. It's seriously taken three months to get somewhat consistent with my balance. FWIW, I was told to use the wall for support all the time when I first started, and that I didn't need to go much lower than just below my knee with the dumbbell - just enough for a little stretch in the hamstring of the leg I'm standing on. They're working the same set of muscles as the single leg ball catches.

A master's degree in leg mechanics sounds really useful. :)