Sign in to follow this  
5inthehall

Interesting Critique Of Paleo

Ran across this and found it an interesting read.  The guy who's advocating feeding bone broth to babies instead of breast milk sounds like a total quack, but not all Paleo advocates are crazy woman-haters, of course.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/16/paleo-isnt-a-fad-diet-its-an-ideology?CMP=share_btn_fb

That's crazy. Everybody knows that the only appropriate food for babies is black soup.

• Upvote 1

Also came across this (not a productive afternoon at work for me -- must be the gluten I had at lunch).

I'm almost afraid to ask, but . . . what is black soup?

It's a blood soup from Sparta ...

Funny.  To be honest I had no idea paleo had that anti-feminist undercurrent.  Probably because I never bothered to read the book.  It had some interesting concepts that would help a friend of mine who is pretty much allergic to food.  She used it for recipe ideas for the small range of stuff she could eat (which is pretty much meat, green veggies, and some fruit).

Neither did I!

To be honest I had no idea paleo had that anti-feminist undercurrent. 

I tried Paleo for a while just for kicks and I lost weight unintentionally, so I now recommend it to friends who are trying to drop some pounds.  There are a lot of good things about the diet, such as its emphasis on eating plentiful vegetables and fruits and high quality meat and avoiding sugar and other "empty" calories.  And I really doubt most of its adherents are anti-feminist.  In fact, I suspect this guy is just the opposite.

^^^ From that blog post:  "Women literally suck the man right out of us."

Nice.

Dude's off his rocker.

Sounds like he's having lady troubles... Did his wife leave him or something?

Tbh, if my wife didn't breastfeed, I'd rather feed any babies we have something based on bone broth, than modern formula, or, god forbid, those meal replacement shit they used to dish out to sick children all over the world, irreparably damaging their bodies for life.

I think the critique of the bone broth was way too much Vitamin A, which is something that can get toxic if your overdose.  It's not like Vitamin C where you pee it out or it takes such great quantities to be toxic that it's simply impractical.  We need Vitamin A, but what a child needs is less than what an adult needs.  I do think it's incredibly irresponsible of the chef to say "try it anyway" when there's a risk of killing your children.

You just need something different from either.

Haha. Good links everyone. I enjoyed all of those :)

I'm bald so I'm ok right, PC?

That gluten video.... YESSSSS!

Also, what could be more paleo/primal/primitive than breast milk??? It is literally the only single source of nutrition that has been naturally available in all cultures, all over the world, for the entire existence of humans.

That gluten video.... YESSSSS!

Also, what could be more paleo/primal/primitive than breast milk??? It is literally the only single source of nutrition that has been naturally available in all cultures, all over the world, for the entire existence of humans.

This

Despite the wannabe paleo nutjob's BS, all paleo / primal followers who aren't total idiots know breast milk is simply the best option for little Groks

^^^ From that blog post:  "Women literally suck the man right out of us."

Nice.

This was clearly done to stir controversy, but it will make a large segment of the people who read it miss the otherwise valid point he is making. Being a room alone with a women that you find of average or greater attractiveness has been shown to raise test. It is Kids, in particular babies, that have been shown to lower test. So the line quoted above is not only off the mark, it will offend half the people who read it. If marriage ( a mental construct) has an affect on your physiology it's a mental thing. And thus it would be individual and have nothing to actually do with your wife. If you think you can let yourself go , or if you spend your weekends shopping, it's the idea of marriage changing the way you think which changes your actions and potentially lowers your hormone levels. You can hardly blame your wife for your laziness or your inability to say "I'm not going purse shopping."

Do you think fathers and husbands in Sparta had this issue before they marched off to war with sword and shield? Likely not. The point is that modern life has made us soft. And that's the point.

I won't even justify replacing breast milk with bone broth with a comment because it's not a topic of opinion. The guy is outright stupid, or trolling, or just trying to get page views. Next he will post that the earth is a cube.

Good, then we can push him off the edge lol

your analysis is spot on imo 

tl;dr they're ruddy hipsters

edit: paul carter sure sounds like a guy who feels the need to grow a beard so long he'll trip over it just to prove his manliness

tl;dr they're ruddy hipsters

Who is?