Sign in to follow this  
Strongbushido

Stalled Bench Press. What To Do?

Just want some ideas for a stalled bench. Been stuck at 85kg for 3 reps for months now. Weight actually feels like its getting heavier now. I bench one day a week with press on other training day

Just been reading about increasing my volume of sets. So performing 6x5 or 5x3 or 8x2. But starting light with say 70% of 1 rep max

Just wondered had anyone had experience of this and would this help me get my bench moving again

Cheers guys

I got mine moving by switching to paused bench and concentrating on heavy singles. Benching only once per week seems too low for me though, I'd simply add one or two bench sessions per week if I were in your position.

• Upvote 1

Like Ghost said, paused is good, as is higher frequency. You could do two bench days and one overhead press day. One bench day would be for volume and the other for intensity/higher weight.

Also working up to a light single every session helped. Like if my max was 100kg I'd work up to 90kg, around.

Would also be worth looking at your form too.

Slight adjustments could give you 85kg x5 within one session.

What do your bench and press days look like?  Exercises, sets, and reps?

Thanks for reply

I have only been benching 1 day a week sometimes 2 times a week for 3 sets of 5. I also press 1 day a week for 3 sets of 5 also. Abit like starting strength really. My best bench is about 85kg for 3 sets of 3. But can never beat that. 

I have realized I need way more volume for these lifts. 

Last few weeks I have been performing bench for up to 6 sets of 5 starting at week 1 at 70% of my 1rm, 90kg

Same for press 2 days later, up to 6 sets of 5. 

I normally work in 8 week cycles. Was going to try 3 weeks of 5s then 3 weeks of 3s then a couple weeks of 2s. Then deload and start again with 5s

I was going to try finishing this cycle or try your recent bench program on here. 

Cheers

That sounds good.  If you hit plateaus in the future look at 4 things:

1.Programming-What your doing just doesnt work

2.Nutrition-Your not giving your body enough food to recover from the stress of training and life

3.Rest-Not enough rest to recover

4.Desire-Your not trying hard enough or its a mental block.

Usually its a combination of 2,3, or 4 more than bad programming.  Lets say your doing a time tested method of linear progression, your eating and resting enough, and stress is low in your life.  If thats true and you got stuck at a number like 85k for 3x3.  Then you sometimes have to go in with the mindest that I am just going to get one more rep than last time.  I will put everything I have to at least go 85K 4,3,3.  Then next time, I am looking for one more rep again.  Those reps add up over time and equal a hell of alot of progress.  Alot of people (including me) jump from program to program looking for the answer but the real answer is that most programs work.  As long as you eat, rest, and have the determination to go for small improvements knowing they will become big ones over time.      

Thanks for the advice, Some really good points there

I have def realized I need more volume now for my upperbody lifts. I have run Starting Strength a few times now and always seem to get to about 85kg-90kg for my bench and to about 60kg for my press. ( I will be doing same for my Squats as well up to 6 sets to start off with)

I have mentioned on this site before I do have a tendency to over think every aspect of my training which does take it out of you mentally when it comes to your training day. Decided just gonna stick to the 8 week cycle I mentioned and not read anything on training apart from here and run this cycle a few times.

I have recently had a few one to one sessions with top Powerlifter. He always says my technique is bang on. So its not a technical issue or not for a lack of effort. 

Can I just check something Miked96.... 

When performing my 8 week cycle I train Bench one day then press the next training day 2 days later. For week one on both these days I am performing up to 6 sets with about 70% of my 1RM.

As the cycle progresses do I still perform up to 5-6 working sets or taper down the volume as the weights get heavier. For example say im up to week 5 and my reps are down to 3, or by week 7 when my reps are down to 2. Do I still do up to 5 or 6 working sets??. 

Thanks again

No problem.  You do less sets.  Typical planned standard periodization cycle is a low intensity, high volume at the beginning and ends in higher intensity, low volume.  I am guessing that you have consulted Andy Bolton from one of your previous posts.  He prepped me for a meet and the volume is higher but it wasnt your standard sets across at a certain percentage.  Volume was controlled by weight jumps and sets of speed work.

For what its worth, that simple bench routine I posted is just a good way to cycle when you dont have a planned date to peak for.  Instead of a planned standandard periodization cycle, your own strength level decided when to raise the weight and drop the sets.  This especially works for guys that arent near there strength potential.  You really dont need a planned out cycle.  I would argue that it would hamstring someone with your strength levels.  You still have alot of untapped strength and are capable of huge gains week to week.   I had a guy train with me this summer that benched 225 for a max triple.  He started at 200 5x3.  5 weeks later he did 225 5x3.   He just kept going until he went 265x3,2.  Now all he has to do is drop thirty pounds off that number and work up again.   I would start at 75K and do 5x3.  Next week do 77.5k for 5x3.  Eventually you will have to drop sets as the weight goes up.  It takes the guess work out and gives you plenty of room to grow.  Finally, add 2x5 of close grip bench after your work sets.  When you get the same weight for 2x5 add 5 to 10 pounds.

Could you run that with 5s as well. So for me start with 70% of 90kg for my bench (say 60kg) and do 5 working sets, adding weight every week and dropping sets as weight gets heavier. Then deload take thirty or twenty pounds off the bar like you said but bring back up again with 5s again or try with 3s

Absolutely.  I would start a little heavier but give it a go.

Will give it ago. I do like cycling my training for up to 8 weeks. But like you said at my level let my strength decide when to raise the weight and drop the sets. Not just from following a written cycle

So I suppose its just a case of starting light and seeing how long I can run it for. But when weight is getting heavy and only getting say 2 working sets drop weight down and bring back up

Cheers, gonna try this