Sign in to follow this  
Archie

Squatting Double Your Weight

As a matter of interest, who has or can squat double their body weight and how long has it taken for people to do it?

Currently I am on Wendler's Program and I managed to hit it yesterday for the first time!!!!

For me it's taken close to 3 years. I've moved through 3 x runs of SL and about the same amount with Madcow over that time.

I'm not including the years I've been going to gym before that as in my opinion, I was just blindly lifting weights without a clue.

It wasn't till I plugged the numbers in at home that it came up as 155KG ( i Weigh 77KG)  

Archie

Congratulations! I can squat more than double body weight and the first time I remeber doing it was when I was 17 years old. I squatted 405 and I weighed 185 pounds. Took me about two years once I started squatting.

Hi Miked,

Gosh that was young.

Strange for me though, it took much longer to get to 1.6x BW, the last 0.4 was took just a few months.

Next goal 2.5x for 2015.

Thanks for sharing story.

That's a goal I've yet to hit, and I've been lifting for 5 years. As soon as I get to some sort of a rack it will be on though. Congrats on hitting the milestone. :)

Same here, but I'm working on getting my body weight low enough that my current squat is 2x :)

Same here, but I'm working on getting my body weight low enough that my current squat is 2x :)

Yea I know what you mean. I'm eating leaner foods these days and I've dropped a couple of kilos, topped with adding a couple of more reps to a weight on the bar I've done before. I reckon I'm about 15% BF at the moment.

I honestly think the logistics of when and what you eat can be more difficult than hitting the weights.

And I'm sure it's a mental thing too. I've hit the weights with a positive attitude and done at best average, whereas at other times I've felt like crap and lethargic and killed it. Weird....

I think I was around 17 as well. My first PL'ing meet I did when I was 18 and my third squat was 350lbs at 165lbs

This was wide stance, low bar, belt :P

I think I was around 17 as well. My first PL'ing meet I did when I was 18 and my third squat was 350lbs at 165lbs

This was wide stance, low bar, belt :P

Ha, you were really young too!

Gee I wonder what I'd be pushing now if I started that young??

Would squating 3xBW be regarded as an elite lifter?

I started young, can't say 100% for sure but I think it took me 2 1/2 years, maybe 3, I quit training 20 years ago, so if you did that, then like me, you would currently squat 2x the BW of a fluffy kitten

It's taking a lot longer this time, but I'm old, and have programming ADD so I'm my own worst enemy lol

Ha, you were really young too!

Gee I wonder what I'd be pushing now if I started that young??

Would squating 3xBW be regarded as an elite lifter?

3x BW is pretty common with high level oly lifters, but one of us squatting 3x BW would be pretty exceptional.

I don't care much for squatting these days, but I wasn't that far off at one stage, 227.5kg @125kg within 12 months and it was still increasing week on week.

But I got a bad case of fuckaroundtitus and never really got that squat bug back.

Saying that I'm cutting to hopefully around 105kg, so I fancy my chances for a 2xBW squat at that weight.

Still haven't got it after four years of training and being 34 years old. I am at 1.8x for a high-bar squat at 88.8 kg BW. Will get there, of that I have no doubts.

Squatted 2xBW in about 18 months of lifting. After that progress has ground into a halt though. Had a 2 year stint where I couldn't increase it at all and in the last two years I've increased it to only around 2.16xBW.

Squatted 2xBW in about 18 months of lifting. After that progress has ground into a halt though. Had a 2 year stint where I couldn't increase it at all and in the last two years I've increased it to only around 2.16xBW.

Yea I stallled at one point at the same weight for nearly a year with squat. I was on Madcow at the time and after my prescribed sets, I added 5 sets of 10 of 50%, exactly like Wendler BBB routine to get some volume in, this is what helped me push through that barrier.

At the time I thought, well that's it then, can't do anymore for my age and genetics. But managed to increase 25% in 4 months.

I squatted 2X bodyweight after about 1 year of training. I weigh about as much as a fluffy kitten, for what it's worth.

I'm up to about 2.4X coming up on my 2nd year of training, so progress has slowed way down.

I squatted 2X bodyweight after about 1 year of training. I weigh about as much as a fluffy kitten, for what it's worth.

I'm up to about 2.4X coming up on my 2nd year of training, so progress has slowed way down.

That's excellent stuff.

Has your DF increased as well Ron?

I squatted 2X bodyweight after about 1 year of training.

Same here. I squatted 200kg at 98-99kg after a year. It then went up 2.19xBW after another year and ever since then I´ve pretty much stopped caring about my backsquat-max. These days I should be able to squat double bw or at least very close to it, but haven´t gone that heavy in almost 2 years.

That's excellent stuff.

Has your DF increased as well Ron?

Did you mean to say DL? My DL has always been really close to my squat and isn't moving as much. I'm expecting to squat more than I DL later this year. I have super short stubby legs, so my body type lends itself to a strong squat.

Did you mean to say DL? My DL has always been really close to my squat and isn't moving as much. I'm expecting to squat more than I DL later this year. I have super short stubby legs, so my body type lends itself to a strong squat.

Yes Deadlift. Interesting, my DL is about 20% more than my squat. In fact since on the Wendler program where you focus on one lift per day, it's really improved. All lifts have gotten better really.