Sign in to follow this  
BarbEricScotaku

Vitamin A, Dietary Cholesterol, Amount Of Protein, Etc.

1. After revamping and spreadsheeting my diet on 11/5/14 I've noticed I'm probably consuming in excess of %500-%1000 the daily dietary needs of cholesterol (for a 2k diet at least) from a combination of eggs, chicken hearts and gizzards, and beef liver. I've read up that dietary and blood cholesterol have never been proven to affect each other, but I'm still wondering if I should worry about that.

2. Speaking of beef liver, ~300% vitamin A from a 4-oz serving? I know enough to realize that that's a fat-soluble vitamin and thus can toxify the liver (or whatever) from mega-dosing. But am I really eating enough to worry? Well maybe people could answer that if I were counting all my micros on top of protein, fats, and carbs, as if counting my macros weren't enough of a pain in the ass...

3. I notice that most of my usual food choices give me roughly 250g-300g protein and maybe ~150g fats and carbs daily from reaching my calorie limit. I'm not even trying to eat that much protein (I haven't had a scoop of protein powder in days), that's just what ends up happening if I don't deliberately shovel extra oatmeal and olive oil down my gullet. I'm sure I don't need more than, say, 200g (or what I'm guessing is right above my lean body mass) protein, but is there a downside to "OD'ing" on protein like that, e.g., elevated blood pressure? I've been measuring that daily along with my weight and I tend to be around 130/50 with a 50 idle heart-rate, so maybe? Perhaps I should just start eating more chicken thighs to lower my protein intake and raise my fats, heh.

4. Am I overthinking all this crap and should I just not worry about it unless I develop health issues? But by then it may be too late. But damn, they certainly were right about the 80/20 rule, that following the final 20% is a road to madness.

If you're wondering why I don't go looking these up myself, it's because every page on google still says never eat more than 1-2 eggs a day because satfats r bad 4 u and other popular myths; I have no idea what's trustworthy or not, no idea how to verify a source to see if it's bad science, etc. Go, public education!

Why don't I just ask my doctor? One, $$$. Two, "normal" doctors IME (no one in my family can afford good ones) subscribe to "satfats r bad 4 u" and still use BMI even though by this point that should be dismissed as mere quackery. So annoying that the medical literature always seems to be 30 years behind. Err, nevermind the rant. :P

1. you're overthinking

2, you're overthinking

3, you're overthinking

4, yes, you're overthinking

:)

There is little relationship between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol

I eat plenty of sat fat and cholesterol, and my total cholesterol level is 123, not that total cholesterol even matters, it's triglyceride levels that provide the best predictor of heart disease, and contrary to conventional wisdom, a Diet high in carbs tends to increase that 

Definitely do not take too much vitamin A.  How much liver are you eating?

Roughly a 6 oz serving 3-4 times a week, or I was intending to. Stuff ain't cheap so I'll probably halve that, since maybe 70% of what influences my food choices is its cost, e.g. loads of giblets mostly because the one tiny grocery store within walking distance sells packs for $1.5/lb, vs. $5/lb for chicken breast. And I need to watch my wallet after spending $20 for 30 days of probiotics and $20 for 60 days of vitamin k2 supps (to see if that helps whiten my teeth as no amount of whitening toothpaste, floss, whitening alcohol-free mouthwash, and whitening strips/gel have worked no matter how many YEARS I do it). GNC is such a ripoff, but they were the only ones who were open that late. Next time, Amazon! [/blogging-and-navel-gazing]

There is little relationship between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol

I eat plenty of sat fat and cholesterol, and my total cholesterol level is 123, not that total cholesterol even matters, it's triglyceride levels that provide the best predictor of heart disease, and contrary to conventional wisdom, a Diet high in carbs tends to increase that

Interesting. Something more to look up. :)

Or... not:

1. you're overthinking

2, you're overthinking

3, you're overthinking

4, yes, you're overthinking

:)

Whelp, time to go to said dinky shop and nab their highest fat cheese and make some very indulgent spicy brown rice!