Sign in to follow this  
NITF

Snap, Crackle, Pop

OB-WR486_ricekr_D_20130313172521.jpg

So, let me start by saying this: I'm not injured.... but worried I will be.

My problem is this:

My upper back feels a bit tight and has to "pop", like popping a knuckle, all the time (a few times a day).  I am concerned this is a sign of a bigger potential issue. 

Now, some background:

• I have been deadlifting for about 4 yrs now with almost no problems.
  • Just recently (the last 4 months) I have been deadlifting with greater frequency and volume (x2 per week... w/ up to 10 working sets) and progressing the load.  This has helped me progress in the deadlift significantly but I am worried it has a price.
  • A confounding factor is that after reading numerours articles on rounded upper-back deadlifts and seperate ones about using the form you "find naturally"... my deadlift form has shifted a bit; more so in the things I do and do not focus on in the lift... I don't think I'm "sloaching" nor do I think most people would say my form looks bad, I just don't kill myself to keep a perfect posture anymore (I still arch my lumbar pretty well I think).
  • I also am not foam rolling, stretching/warming up too much or doing SMR -- just feeling pressed for time and not making it a priority.
  • I suppose it could also be the chin ups I do? (alternate weight and unweighted x2 per week) but I doubt it

My questions are:

1. How worried should I be?
  2. How abnormal is this?
  3. What can I do to improve / stop this?

Looking for any feedback.

Maybe do some soft tissue work on the upper back, or get a massage or something.

How much anti-extension work are you doing?

You should be able to 'pop' your upper back.  Problems generally come when you can't release the pressure there.

How much anti-extension work are you doing?

none... been neglecting core training way too long... looking to fix this soon.  Do you believe this is related to my issue?  How so?

It can be part of the issue, when you do a ton of squats and deadlifts, it ingrains a motor pattern (extension) so if you aren't doing anti-extension work along side it, you can get stuck in extension which would cause the tightness you're describing. I'm not saying that anti-extension work would automatically fix the tightness, but it could certainly help, especially if you have been neglecting it.

I'd also suggest foam rolling your back more, that does a world of good for removing tightness in the back.

Any new thoughts on this topic/issue? 

I used to have upper back tightness and the occasional pop. It seems to be gone recently, and while I've got no science to back this up, I believe it might have to do with two things:

- I keep a balance between pressing and upper body pulling (rows, pull ups , chin ups), maybe with a slight favour for pulling

- I frequently press behind the neck with a wide grip

Both seems to help my thoraic mobility.

• Upvote 1