Sign in to follow this  
SilverOx

Which Supplements For Joints?

There is always a lot of discussion around the usual supplements such as protein, creatine, BCAA, etc but I don't see as much around what's best for joints and ligaments.

Does anyone take supplements/vitamins for this purpose?

I've noticed that Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate are mentioned frequently.

They are mentioned frequently, but I've not had much success with them.  I've had more success troubleshooting my training and putting in lighter volume on antagonist muscles to what I spend most of my time on.  That's helped more than any supplement I've tried..

Turmeric has been an incredible help for my joints, taking a gram of that on before bed on nights I work out has been great.

I agree with FM about volume though, modifying that also yields results when dealing with aches.

Turmeric has been an incredible help for my joints, taking a gram of that on before bed on nights I work out has been great.

Interesting, I´ll look into that

Personally, I like my glucosamine and also feel like adding creatine helps a bit, too. Especially if the workload is big for a longer time without deloads.

A lot of people rate Cissus.

My mum's got something rheumatic, no multivitamin, omega 3 or glucosamine has ever made an ounce of a difference.

Gelatine I believe is meant to be good. I don't know whether you can get it as supplent but you can get a good dose of it from slow cooked stews using oxtail. Or when making a stock use pigs trotters, chicken wing tips & chicken feet.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I think its going to be a case of trial and error and see what works if anything.

FWIW, I've been dealing with a recently diagnosed arthritic knee (osteo, not rheumatic). I'm noticing some difference with Glucosamine (the vegetarian version). I also take fish oil and that seems to help a bit. I've heard good things about tumeric, as Mathiah mentioned. Haven't tried it yet.

This might come off as a bit weird, but having regular sex seems to work way better for my joints than any supplement ever has.

Best thing that I have ever used.  1 to 2 tsp a day.

http://www.bigdweb.com/Acti-Flex-4000-Solution-Quart/productinfo/4899/

How long have you been taking this horse supp Mike?  I need to try something different for my ankle before getting another shot.

I took it for a year straight and stopped like an idiot. I found a local store that carries it at a good price and just started back four days ago. I plan on staying on it this time. There's nothing unusual in it that you don't find in most human joint supplements but it's just a much higher concentration. It's worth a shot.

Alright I ordered it and will give it a shot.  I did see there was nothing unusual in it.  Thanks

Sounds good and I hope it helps some.

They are mentioned frequently, but I've not had much success with them. I've had more success troubleshooting my training and putting in lighter volume on antagonist muscles to what I spend most of my time on. That's helped more than any supplement I've tried..

They are mentioned frequently, but I've not had much success with them. I've had more success troubleshooting my training and putting in lighter volume on antagonist muscles to what I spend most of my time on. That's helped more than any supplement I've tried..

A lot of people rate Cissus.

I´ve been taking this for a few weeks now. Joint pain is less now, but that is probably just the natural healing course.

I also looked into all this "horse joint stuff", but I don´t know about it. It kinda freaks me out :D

I also looked into all this "horse joint stuff", but I don´t know about it. It kinda freaks me out :D

There is a downside to the horse stuff.  If you get injured while taking it, they just put you down instead of trying to rehab you.

• Upvote 2

There is a downside to the horse stuff.  If you get injured while taking it, they just put you down instead of trying to rehab you.

That´s what I´ve been telling my people. Just take me into the woods and be done with it ;)

I'm hoping some Glucosamine will help with my rather dodgey knees. For anyone who uses it regularly and get's any kind of benefit from it, how long does it take to begin working?

if by horse joint stuff you mean horse liniment, it's good stuff, I have some 'mentholatum pain relief' which is the same thing, and it works good on muscle

have't thought about it fo joints, but maybe I should try it