Sign in to follow this  
Steve

Sbd Knee Sleeves

Anyone have SBD knee sleeves?  Can you provide feedback on them? 

I was speaking to another competitor at the meet Saturday who was doing Raw Modern.  He used the SBD sleeves instead of wraps.  He kept raving about the sleeves.

I have a pair of EliteFTS sleeves but they are XLs so for me, on the large size.  I was thinking of getting a new pair.

A good video comparision of several sets:

Do you compete? Do you want to win? (Im thinking you do linking PTW)

If yes get some extra tight SBDs.

If you are just lifting for health/strength/recreation any sleeves will do.

Tight SBDs will add weight. They are a whole different level from the other sleeves out there. There is a reason almost all the big squatters at Raw Worlds use them.

Do you compete? Do you want to win? (Im thinking you do linking PTW)

If yes get some extra tight SBDs.

If you are just lifting for health/strength/recreation any sleeves will do.

Tight SBDs will add weight. They are a whole different level from the other sleeves out there. There is a reason almost all the big squatters at Raw Worlds use them.

Of course I want to win.   :)

I read about the sleeves being used at Raw Worlds in that they were so tight,  it took several people to put them on.  I think they initiated a rule that the competitor needs to put them on themselves.

I'm just seeing if anyone had them and could provide feedback on use/sizing.  Some people say get two sizes smaller..some one.  I'm not going to be at Raw Worlds in my lifetime so I'm not looking to spend 15 minutes to get these on each time I use them.  I do know my current sleeves are too big.

Interesting.  I really don't expect neoprene sleeves to do anything for the lift itself.  I like the Rhebans I got not too long ago.  While they do have a little spring in them, I wouldn't expect that to be any real carryover to the squat.  They do make the knee feel better during training, and that's what I where them for.

I also would be interested to hear if anyone has experience with the SBDs.  Although the concept of buying something too small sounds like a degree of masochism I don't want to take.  :)

Interesting. I really don't expect neoprene sleeves to do anything for the lift itself. I like the Rhebans I got not too long ago. While they do have a little spring in them, I wouldn't expect that to be any real carryover to the squat. They do make the knee feel better during training, and that's what I where them for.

I also would be interested to hear if anyone has experience with the SBDs. Although the concept of buying something too small sounds like a degree of masochism I don't want to take. :)

I guess SBD's are a different ballgame. They give a lot of pop out of the hole.

At Worlds, trash bags used to get sleeves on because they were using them 3 or more sizes too small.

1004771_598899236798581_678666654_n.jpg

I have a pair and like them a lot.  Although I didn't buy into the "two sizes smaller" idea.  I just followed the fit guidelines on the website.  They take a little finesse to put on, but getting them past my calf is the hardest part.  If I remember the fit instructions correctly, you measure your knee and calf.  If your calf is larger in diameter, you use that for sizing, which I did.  Getting them off once coated in sweat is a tad more challenging because they stick a bit.  Not a big deal though.  I would think two sizes smaller would be almost impossible to put on and remove, not to mention walk.

Did they add weight to my lifts?  I'm not at a level where I can answer that objectively.  My guess would be no, or negligible.  I only bought them because my knees are horrible and I like the stability they provide.

Thanks for the feedback Doug.  I assume you just got the standard fit on the chart and not tight fit, right?

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/product-p/sbd-knee-sleeves-pair.htm

Tight knee sleeves add weight.

Even tight rehbands or whatever will add weight.

The SBDs are specifically designed to add the most weight. They are the maximum allowable thickness and size by IPF rules for knee sleeves. I cant give you an accurate number that they will add, but they will add weight.

And unless you are a serious contender for worlds/nationals you probably dont need it way smaller. 1 size small should give a nice blend of support and not tooo hard to get on.

And to comment on that pic-

what "raw" is, is dependent on how you define raw. Its simply foolish to think that highly competitive people in a highly competitive event wont use the maximum allowable resources. 

Belts, wrist wraps, sleeves, special shoes are all supportive equipment or external aids.

I think of raw as minimal equipment. But that is a competitors mindset. You have to "cheat" as much as possible within the rules.

Thanks for the feedback Doug.  I assume you just got the standard fit on the chart and not tight fit, right?

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/product-p/sbd-knee-sleeves-pair.htm

I couldn't remember, so I whipped out a tape measure and checked my calves.  They are 15.5" and I know my sleeves are a large, so that would be a tighter fit at that size.  Once I get it over my calf it goes a bit easier.

@Frozen- Even with my EliteFTS which are not tight, I know it adds a tiny bit of weight.

I agree with you're saying on the photo..it was probably created by a geared lifted sick of raw lifters acting righteous.  Can't we all get along?

@Doug- I just ordered a pair. I measure at 15.5" also but I ended up sizing down to mediums.  We'll see how they work.  Thanks for the info

Sorry I'm late to this thread, Steve. I ordered them several months ago and love them. I did not order smaller than what was recommended. I have no problem getting them on, but I also have very small calves. I put them on as suggested, kind of like how you take off a wetsuit - half inside out, then unroll the top part over my knee. If that makes any sense.

I don't know if they physically helped me add weight, but psychologically I stopped worrying about me knees and my squat numbers went up almost immediately.

Good to hear David and thanks for the tip on getting them on.  Mine are arriving today and I look forward to using them Wednesday.   Confidence squatting is huge so if they just make the knee feel more stable, it's worth it.

I used the SBDs for the first time on Tuesday but kept the weight below 400.  I decided to test these out fully this morning.

I ended up PRing in them (465lbs)  This is a 5lb PR from my meet 13 days ago. 

I never used Rehbands knee sleeves (only EliteFTS that were a little big for me).  I can't compare them to Rehbands...but I definitely get a nice bounce in the hole with the SBDs.  I'm looking forward to more PRs in these.

I highly recommend SBDs if you are looking for a pair of knee sleeves.

Note:  I took a few videos this morning using them http://ironstrong.org/index.php?/topic/1533-steve-is-training-for-a-1400lb-total-with-canditos-6-week-program/?p=268900

I just ordered a pair today for my meet coming up in a few weeks. My knees measured 16" and my calves 17", so I disregarded the calves and got a large which should be pretty tight. I'll let you know how I like 'em. I've used wraps since the early 90s, first Marathon Gold Lines and in more recent years Inzer Triple Red Lines, so this is a first for me. From what I've been told and what I've researched, the SBDs are supposed to be better than wraps. We'll see.

I just ordered a pair today for my meet coming up in a few weeks. My knees measured 16" and my calves 17", so I disregarded the calves and got a large which should be pretty tight. I'll let you know how I like 'em. I've used wraps since the early 90s, first Marathon Gold Lines and in more recent years Inzer Triple Red Lines, so this is a first for me. From what I've been told and what I've researched, the SBDs are supposed to be better than wraps. We'll see.

I've been using them since August.  Since then I was squatting 5-6x a week...now 4x a week the last few weeks.  My knees feel great.

Definitely a nice set of sleeves and highly recommended.