Sign in to follow this  
doit

Doit's Home Gym

Making a Home Gym have been in my mind for many years, and now I have finally decided its time!

But as I am inexperienced with any equipment other than Eleiko (Which is too expensive for a student like me), I need some help and advice what equipment to choose.

I will list all the equipment I have found, and would be very happy if I could get some feedback on what I picked. I still haven't bought anything, still in the planning phase.

I want to mainly use the equipment for olympic lifts (C&J / Snatch) and the 3 big lifts (Squat, DL and bench), my lifting PR's are in my Signature so you guys have a idead of my working weight would be.

Keep in mind that I live in Norway, and many of the American sites does not ship here, unfortunately.

This Thread I will dedicate to post pics and progress on me and my Brothers Home Gym :)

Olympic Barbell: I need my bar for Olympic lifting, and the 3 big lifts mainly.

My Pick: Rogue Olympic WL Barhttp://www.rogueeurope.eu/rogue-olympic-wl-bar-eu

Bumper Plates: I was thinking of buying either of these, but not sure which. If there's another better option, im glad to get notified.

Either: Rogue KG Bumper Plates by Hi-Temp (150kg Set) -  http://www.rogueeurope.eu/rogue-kg-bumper-plates-by-hi-temp-1

or: Rogue KG Bumper Plates (150kg Set)http://www.rogueeurope.eu/kg-rogue-bumpers-eu

I kinda favor the second one, mainly cause I don't like what I hear about how much it bounces compared to the other, and because the width on the plates. Anyone have experience with these?

Bench: This one is from a Norwegian supplier, and im not sure on the quality or the durability. But I assumed it should be just fine. Something I should keep in mind before deciding?

Pick: Pivot 120 Flat bench HDhttp://www.sportsmaster.no/Styrke/Frivektsapparater/PM120%20kraftig%20flat%20benk.aspx

Power Rack: This one im really unsure about. I found one for 480 dollars, but the max weight it withstand is at 182kg, which seems rather weak? At double the price, I get one that withstands up to 450kg. I want to do a investment that ensures me a rack that doesn't need to replaced in a long time.

Either: Pivot 128 Power Cage HD - http://www.sportsmaster.no/Styrke/Frivektsapparater/PM128%20tung%20power%20cage.aspx

Rack weighs: 169kg

Max Capacity: 450kg

or 

Pivot 475 Power Cage - http://www.sportsmaster.no/Styrke/Frivektsapparater/Pivot%20475%20Power%20Cage.aspx

Rack weighs: 78kg

Max Capacity: 182kg

The cheap one seems some light, and fragile compared to the other, but would be the best for my wallet. Though I favor the strong one, cause I want to invest in something that will last. You guys have probably never heard of Pivot, neither do I, so im kinda skeptic that this is some commercial gym product that is mediocre.

Lifting platform: Will make of plywood and horse stall mats. Will update more on this.

So does this seem good for a Home gym? I appreciate any feedback or suggestions, these picks are not made in stone yet. The worst thing I could do is to make a bad investment for alot of money and time.

Thanks in advance! :)

Before Pics:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Alot of work to do!  :blink:

Hi,

I'm in the UK and have recently created a home gym in a shed.

I've bought quite a bit from the below website and I believe they ship abroad.

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/

They have a good selection of power racks that go up in weight capacity (and price) and are willing to do deals on multiple products.

Not sure how the prices are going to compare though but they are reasonable in the UK.

Good luck!

The bar you selected looks to be a good one.

Between the Hi-Temps and the other bumpers, I recommend picking the other bumpers.  I have a pair of 25kg plates in that model and they aren't overly bouncy.  The Hi-Temps are basically like car tires, so expect a lot more bounce when the bar hits the ground.  Both models are very wide for the weight.  Expect roughly 9 cm wide for the 25 kg plates, just to give you an idea.  Rogue does make competition bumpers which are very good and about the same thickness as an Eleiko or Werksan pair, but it appears they are only sold in the US?

The bench you picked, if I read the dimensions right, seems to be on the short side (42 cm).  A competition height bench would be closer to 44 cm.  Perhaps the difference isn't big enough to really affect it you on the platform if you decide to compete.

I know Rogue's products, so I can speak from experience with them.  Unfortunately, I'm not in Europe, so listen to the guys who have set up their rigs at home.  They'll know where to get things for the best price.

Another option to a power cage is a plain old squat rack.  They have a lot less metal, so they cost less both to make and to ship.  Many also have spotter attachments, which I highly recommend even if you have to make it a second purchase (which is what I did).

SilverOx: Unfortunately, didnt seem like the shipped abroad. Could only choose UK or Ireland.

Ferrous: I also favor those bumpers you mentioned. But they don't have them in stock and god know how long will take to get them in again. As you might understand, im all itchy to buy all as soon as possible ;)

I will look for other options in Europe in the mean time. Still wished the eleiko/werksan comp bumpers was in the european store of rogue too.

About the bench, I was concerned about the dimension. How about the Rogue one, for 60$ more? http://www.rogueeurope.eu/rogue-bolt-together-utility-bench

Im used to the simplest squat racks there is on the olympic lifting gym, but in this case i really want a sturdy power cage, since I prioritize safety highly. Especially on the benchpress I want to be 99% safe, due to a past shoulder injury which makes my shoulder feel unstable.

Here in Norway, its not that common for people to rig up Home Gyms for squatting, deadlifting or olympic lifting. You only find those who set up maybe a bench, a treadmill or multitraining equipment. So not so much help to find here.

Thanks for inputs! :)

We recently bought this http://www.megafitness-shop.info/Kraftsport/Kraftgeraete-nach-Marken/Barbarian-Line/Barbarian-Power-Cage-Power-Rack--2388.html for our rowing club and it's awesome. Dip bars and chin-up bar are included and you can throw 500 kg on the thing.

I don't know whether they ship to Norway (website says "Europe mainland"), but you can always ask...

The Rogue bench is definitely competition height.  Actually just a touch taller, but within the range specified in IPF regulations.  It's a good solid bench.

Not looking on Rogue's European site, I have the S-2 squat rack with safeties.  That thing is very secure, in fact this is a video of me failing at 132.5 kg and having to set it on the safeties:

Something similar to that can be a very good buy.

Damn, if that bench is comp height, mine's a 1/2 inch tall (flat bench 2.0)

still, love my Rougue bench, it's light years better than the sporting goods store bench it replaced

Bonus in the video: the Rogue competition bumpers, the flat bench, and of course the squat rack/safeties.

That looks pretty solid and safe, maybe I should open up for the Squat rack with safeties. Need to discuss with my brothers :)

btw solid lifts! :)

Yeah I love those competition bumpers, such a bummer they dont have it on the european part of Rogue.

Right now im at a stand still on the bumper plates. Quite frustrating since I got my salary and I am ready to do the purchase.

Im not convinced on the Rogue KG Hi-Temp plates, mainly because of the seemingly uncontrollable high bounce.

And the regular Rogue Bumper Plates are not in stock, plus I have heard they make lots of noise, which could lead to some angry neighbours. But this I am not sure about, they seem fine though. Would probably buy those if they was in stock.

I really want the Rogue Colored Comp/training plates or Pendlay, but I just cant find these for shipping to europe. :/

Anyone heard of or had experience with Again Faster?

https://europe.againfaster.com/en-gb/shop/bumper-plates/again-faster-competition-plate-package/

I read one review, that said the bolts started to come loose from the steel disk in the middle of plate, which doesn't sound promising. Though he claims they have started manufacturing it with new bolts.

The thing with the bumpers, is that I want to be 100% I get quality, so that future purchase of bumper plates will be the exact same brand.

It's not a sin to mix brands--particularly for a home gym.  I've got some Pendlay Elites mixed in with the Rogue bumpers.

The Hi-Temps are pretty decent if you think about doing your pulls from the floor outside.  The thing about lifting indoors is that it doesn't matter what plates you get.  They are all noisy.

If you spring for Eleiko or Werksan, you are going to spend a lot of money--but they are quality.  I don't know if there are cheaper alternatives that are even close in Europe.