Sign in to follow this  
sking

Sept 2011

I was set to test all 3 lifts today as if it were a real meet, but after squat and bench, I decided to do my deadlift on Wednesday, so I'll go ahead and post my squat and bench here.

I weighed in at 175.6 pounds (79.8 kilograms) this morning.

Squat

You can skip to the last attempt

1st Attempt - 315 pounds (143.2 kilograms) - PASS

2nd Attempt - 355 pounds (161.4 kilograms) - FAIL

3rd Attempt - 355 pounds (161.4 kilograms) - FAIL

I took another attempt and went down in weight. This would not count at a meet, I suppose, but here it is:

4th Attempt - 330 pounds (150 kilograms) - Now I thought that it was a little high, but I will let everyone else judge from a snapshot in the next post.

Snapshot of lowest point on 330 pound squat:

20110919 Squat8

Bench Press

1st Attempt - 275 pounds (125 kilograms) - FORM FAIL

2nd Attempt - 275 pounds (125 kilograms) - PASS

3rd Attempt - 280 pounds (127.3 kilograms) - FAIL

So I guess if this were a real meet, I would be OUT on bench, since I failed my first attempt :(

I actually locked out the first attempt out, but my butt came off the bench. It was so bad, I didn't even include it in the video.

Snapshot of lowest point on 330 pound squat:

This is definitely high, although not by much. If I were judging, I would not count it.

I may try again on Friday. Otherwise, you'll just have to count me at 315 for the squat.

This is definitely high, although not by much. If I were judging, I would not count it.

I may try again on Friday. Otherwise, you'll just have to count me at 315 for the squat.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree - that looks parallel to me...and my squat is very borderline to the point it may not count, if it doesn't it doesn't...I won't be redoing it before week is out.

Bench Press

1st Attempt - 275 pounds (125 kilograms) - FORM FAIL

2nd Attempt - 275 pounds (125 kilograms) - PASS

3rd Attempt - 280 pounds (127.3 kilograms) - FAIL

So I guess if this were a real meet, I would be OUT on bench, since I failed my first attempt :(

I actually locked out the first attempt out, but my butt came off the bench. It was so bad, I didn't even include it in the video.

Good lift - and cute girl behind you too but sadly she is clearly not impressed with such endeavours...

Good lift - and cute girl behind you too but sadly she is clearly not impressed with such endeavours...

haha...she's probably thinking...meh, what a weakling...

I'm sorry but I have to disagree - that looks parallel to me...and my squat is very borderline to the point it may not count, if it doesn't it doesn't...I won't be redoing it before week is out.

Hmmm...hip crease below patella? It's good to have multiple opinions. Thanks Neil, but compare to this at 315:

20110919 Squat5

Here are my first 2 lifts for this PL competition. Have to be honest I don't believe my squat hits parallel - but am hoping that as its the first meet and that was really heavy for me I don't get the lift disqualified. It was borderline parallel... ;)

If I do no big deal - cannot face another heavy squat as don't want to scupper Madcow any more than I have.

Deadlift attempt tonight - will post later...

Bodyweight - 85kgs (187lbs)

Squat - 130kgs (286lbs)

Bench Press - 90kgs (198lbs)

Have to be honest I don't believe my squat hits parallel - but am hoping that as its the first meet and that was really heavy for me I don't get the lift disqualified. It was borderline parallel... ;)

If I do no big deal - cannot face another heavy squat as don't want to scupper Madcow any more than I have.

I know you've faced some injury on squats as well, Neil. I can see your diligence from your log here. I'm glad you're pushing it for this. This being our first "meet", it's not that competitive. Don't worry about it. Awesome effort :)

I know exactly what you mean about scuppering Madcow. It's best to mess with your programming as little as possible.

Bench Press - 90kgs (198lbs)

This looked awfully easy for you. Good lift. See how narrow your grip is? Look at the bottom of it. It looks almost like a close-grip bench press. Man, I'll bet you could get another 15kg or so just by increasing the width of your grip. Just a finger width can make a big difference.

• Upvote 1

So here it is! Glad to have done this, as I was feeling pretty 'bleh' recently, what with friends heading off to uni and the weather here getting worse and worse. This was definitely good fun, and I've been looking forward to it for a while. Can only imagine what competing in a real event must feel like!

Keep in mind I've slacked off for about 2 weeks due to having got a job, been out of town, etc, so I'm coming back into this for my first day. Still, I don't think I did too bad, but I know I'll be smashing all these numbers within the next competition :D

Morning bodyweight = 81 KG / 176 lbs

Squat

1. 80 KG / 175 lbs - Breezed through it

2. 90 KG / 200 lbs - Ditto

3. 100 KG / 220 lbs - Bit more difficult, but I got it, or so I think!

Video is

Big no-no's in that were (1) breathing out after unracking the bar BEFORE getting my stance and (2) Not keeping my chest up constantly

Have to give a shout out to JustinM and SKing here for their posts over the weeks (and months, I guess) about the importance of keeping the knees and femurs apart in the squat. I really applied the stuff they had posted today, and it felt incredible. Really, really appreciate the advice you guys have given out to us here in your time spent here, it worked well today!

Bench

1. 60 KG / 135 lbs - Good job

2. 70 KG / 154 lbs - Worked well, but it was a bit dodgy, almost felt shaky

3. 75 KG / 165 lbs - Fail off the chest. Too heavy, and the pause killed any bounce that might have helped. Guess that's why the rules are how they are!

Video is

Deadlift

1. 100 KG / 220 lbs - Good job

2. 110 KG / 243 lbs - Fail. Back felt like it was rounding off the floor, stopped.

3. 110 KG / 243 lbs - Straight back at it, and a good lift

Video is

My lifts were by no means great, and I definitely wish I was able to do more, especially on the deadlift, but overall I'm proud of myself. I've resolved practically all of the problems that I used to have from lifting (shoulders, low back, etc) and feel that from here on out it can only get better. Also, if Vaughan Jones is reading this, you've got no reason not to submit your own lifts, mate; I sure as hell aren't gonna win this competition, but you don't see me shying away from it

:P

Nice job... looked like good form on all the lifts to me. Considering entering this now... but I don't have a camera to film it :/

Nice bench...looked super easy... I agree with sking...maybe even 20kg more.

Nice job... looked like good form on all the lifts to me. Considering entering this now... but I don't have a camera to film it :/

Thanks man. I recorded my sets on my phone, so if you've got one with a camera on it, or have a family member/friend that does and will let you borrow their phone for an hour or so, you could do it then.

Nice looking lifts...good technique, Beas!

BW - 81Kg

Squat - 100Kg

Bench - 70Kg

Deadlift - 110Kg

Total - 280 Kilograms / 616 Pounds

Wilks Points: 189,672

Well done Beasley - good stuff.

As for Vaughan - I told him he should just do it but obviously wants to win the sodding thing. Like you - I wont win but am enjoying pushing myself to join in.

I have a video of VJ doing a 145kg squat - but not anything else...

The bench did feel easy I reckon I could probably get 100 if I did that weight first (did try 100 after the 90 but did not have enough left)

Also - I never thought about the grip on the bench - I will try this on Thursday and see if it improves...

Anyway - here is my deadlift 170kgs (I think my back rounds a tad but never felt in danger of injury - but I reckon I could have moved 175/180, again if I had gone straight to that weight)

Ignore the misty look - the camera had clearly misted up from the ridiculous heat in the gym...and the guy holding it never thought to clear the lens :unsure:

BW - 85Kg

Squat - 130Kg

Bench - 90Kg

Deadlift - 170Kg

Total - 390 Kilograms / 858 Pounds

Wilks Points: 265,737

Well this is certainly going to get addictive. What a rush!

I weighed in today at 184lb

Here's my first big attempt a 285lb (130kg). I hit it well below parallel.

1.55BW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0jzVWsjmS4

And here's my second attempt. I'll admit to feeling a little greedy. I should have attempted 290lb or 295lb, but that 300 number was egging me on. Unfortunately I missed it. Oh well, next time easy.

http://www.youtube.c...u/0/VPWeLScQ69E

Bench press tomorrow.

Awesome effort on 300, Mike! Nice job.

Awesome effort on 300, Mike! Nice job.

Thanks Steve. I felt like I was so close. But then I felt my form totally coming apart, so I said fuck it.

Deadlift

I added some music, so I don't think you can see this in Germany due to copyright infringement, even though I own the music.

EDIT: (added to Vimeo here)

You can skip to the last attempt

1st Attempt - 385 pounds (175 kilograms) - PASS

2nd Attempt - 405 pounds (184.1 kilograms) - PASS

3rd Attempt - 445 pounds (202.3 kilograms) - PASS

Totals

Today I weighed in 2 pounds less than Monday at 173.6 pounds, so if I average the body weight, it's 174.6. On my 330 pound squat, since the bar speed was high, there was no technique deterioration, it was extremely close to depth, I'm going to go ahead and pass it. Disputes welcome.

BW - 174.6 pounds

Squat - 330 pounds

Bench - 275 pounds

Deadlift - 445 pounds

Total - 1,050 Pounds / 477.3 Kilograms

Wilks Points: 327,246