Sign in to follow this  
FatForward

The 200Lbs Rule

Then, I wonder really what's the obsession with being 70s big?  

It's just a lifestyle desire for some guys. They want to be big and strong and not care about leanness beyond the 'not being a fat slob'-level. Other people might want to be bodybuilders, still others desire the 'Tyler Durden'-look, also known as the swimmers' body. Everyone judges others by their own standards. 70s big enthusiasts consider everyone below 200lbs small and weak, bodybuilders consider the Tyler Durdens small and the 70s guys fat and unathletic. The Durdens consider both 70s guys and bodybuilders too bulky. Etc. 

Also, I think you mean you could not care less...? 

The problem is many 5' 11" average joes will be at 200 at 22%BF...still a big guy. They think they are 18% but have no idea how hard it is to recomp those last 8lbs to really be.

Right, but the 70s big guys wouldn't care being around 20% bodyfat, as long as they're beastly strong. That's the whole point of being 70s big. 

I just want to say I heartily approve of all these exemplar pix of muscular men. :D

Now I know how 5 gets all those rep points.  LOL

Right, but the 70s big guys wouldn't care being around 20% bodyfat, as long as they're beastly strong. That's the whole point of being 70s big. 

I was quoting something you said FF.  

"It's entirely possible for the average Joe, 5"11 to get to 200lbs over time without ballooning over 20% BF"

I didn't bring up 70's big in my post at all.  As someone alluded to earlier, the site is written tongue-in-cheek.  

No that person would not be head turning huge...but that person would be bigger than what you are picturing in your head and would not be considered an average joe.

It's just a lifestyle desire for some guys. They want to be big and strong and not care about leanness beyond the 'not being a fat slob'-level. Other people might want to be bodybuilders, still others desire the 'Tyler Durden'-look, also known as the swimmers' body. Everyone judges others by their own standards. 70s big enthusiasts consider everyone below 200lbs small and weak, bodybuilders consider the Tyler Durdens small and the 70s guys fat and unathletic. The Durdens consider both 70s guys and bodybuilders too bulky. Etc. 

Like I said, I'm all about performance.  For sanity's sake I've stopped pursuing milestones to a large degree and just go for a little better than where I am right now.  If I can add 5 lbs to my lifts, then I'll worry about adding 5lbs more after that.  Dropping a bit of fat, then working on the next bit.

I'm looking better than I was, but at 40+ years old, I'm no longer trying to look like someone else.  I'm just trying to be the best me I can be.

70's big chasers are quite deluded in all honesty.

As already stated by most of the forum members here, many have tried at some point only to find out that it was pretty much a waste of time.

70's big was a bit fashionable at one stage but people have caught on to the fact it's just some internet badassery bullshit.

For every young 150lb guy scared of putting on fat, I'll show you an overweight perma-bulkers scared to cut some unnecessary chub because they don't want to temporarily lose a few kg off their lifts.

It's often because the perma-bulker over estimates how much muscle they hold and don't account for intramuscular fat and water.  

The combination of less intramuscular fat/water and less energy for lifting results in a drop in gym numbers and a flatter or smaller appearance. This then leads to the perma-bulker panicking, thinking he's losing muscle then gets back on the perma-bulk lol

I used to think the whole 70's big idea was cool, it was kinda fun, but when you start cutting the chub, see the changes in your appearance while maintaining your lifts you kinda look back at the perma-bulk days and think "what was the fucking point?" lol 

I look bigger and stronger weighing 20kg less than my dirty perma-bulk days, says it all really.

Just to add my experience, I did buy into the 200lbs = adult male idea. It just meant I was fat and when I competed I was in completely the wrong weight class for my height, and didn't stand a hope in hell of being competitive. Being unnecessarily heavy also meant that my symptoms were worse/exacerbated on a couple of chronic health issues I have. That's a very personal experience though so won't apply to everyone, but the extra strain on my system was very negative.

I have now gone from deadlifting 200kg floating between 93-95kg to 205kg (and 210kg off 2 inch blocks) at a much lighter bodyweight of 80kg. That 15kg of fat was completely useless, apart from reducing rom in my bench press from having a larger gut. In actual fact my bench actually got stronger as well and increased from 110kg to 115kg (from the same 93kg+ b/w down to around 83kg, recently my bench has been less due to training errors but it will bounce back quickly). 

You can only gain so much lean muscle mass in a space of given time, taking short cuts doesn't help and in my case getting fatter was not a good idea. Do I think I will be 90kg in the distant future? Yes, but only if I get there very slowly by adding muscle and not fat, it might take me 20 years - I don't care how long it takes, the strength game is a life long one if you treat it right. 

The expression 'I could care less' actually means the opposite in literal terms, but it's just the expression. Weird, I know.

The "Adult Male = 200lbs" thing is purely a tongue in cheek reaction to the skinny-male trend that was going on, nothing more. The whole hipster/men wearing girls jeans/Jamba juice thing.

There is interesting discussion that's come out of it but I don't think 70sBig's words should be taken so seriously. I highly doubt anyone over there would call these elite sub-200lb athletes pussies.

• Upvote 2

^^ Yep.

I do think it's worth talking about whether 200 lbs., or any number for that matter, is a good benchmark for a "strong" man.  But Mike's right on the money that a lot of stuff on the 70s Big site is just a half-serious reaction to the skinny hipster guy.  If you haven't seen them, the posts about short shorts and tank tops are pretty funny and are along similar lines.

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/09/the-revolutionary-guide-to-manly-short-shorts/

http://70sbig.com/blog/2013/07/take-back-the-tank-tops/

I have taken wearing short shorts to the extreme of rugby shorts.  I pretend this is for the convenience of lifting farmers walks handles, so they don't get trapped in my shorts, and that the bar passes my quads more freely on snatches, cleans and deadlifts (I am not quite ready to go full leotard).  But really, it is so that my glutes of steel and legs of sculpted awesomeness are more visible to the viewing public.  I caught them gawping.  I'm just giving them what they asked for.

Also, GOMAD is a stupid diet.  I prefer prefer bulking to 207.3lbs on VOWADA (vodka, waffles and plenty of dead animals).  I trust that brings clarity to the debate.  If not, zen ve vill unleash ze Luftwaffle!

• Upvote 2

Also, GOMAD is a stupid diet.  I prefer prefer bulking to 207.3lbs on VOWADA (vodka, waffles and plenty of dead animals).  I trust that brings clarity to the debate.  If not, zen ve vill unleash ze Luftwaffle!

Words of wisdom, although I'd prefer SMAWADA (Single MAlt, Waffles And plenty of Dead Animals)

This thread is way too academic. What we need is a reality check in the form of a 70s Big lookalike contest. Suggested rules:

- Doug Young pose

- moustache (preferably real, but fake would be ok)

- short shorts

- chest hair is optional, but you may not shave it

I understand that 5 is somewhat of a connaisseur and should thus preside the panel of judges, on which she should be joined by Luna and Frota.

And now, gentlemen, grow your mustaches.

I am potentially in for this contest.  However, I am currently 204lbs and cutting.  In my present form, I am too manly, and may have to wait til I reach 199 lbs to join in.  It would not be fair on the other participants.

You'll have to wait a decade before I can get down below 200 lbs....

• Upvote 1

Rob and I have already agreed on the VOWADA protocol, and I also agree on the contest. That could actually be fun and make for some hilarious fotos. We could even split the sample in under and over 200lbs and compare the ratings. As the forums statistics nerd, I even volunteer to finally settle the 200lbs debate :D

As the forums statistics nerd, I even volunteer to finally settle the 200lbs debate :D

I think this counts as unleashing the Luftwaffle, Ja?

I am potentially in for this contest.  However, I am currently 204lbs and cutting.  In my present form, I am too manly, and may have to wait til I reach 199 lbs to join in.  It would not be fair on the other participants.

Point well taken, but since when is looks about fairness?

Also, in the name of science we should try to establish how the 200lbs rule relates to the average Joe (read:IS member). So obviously, any submission should include information as to:

- the contestant's present weight

- whether the contestant is presently cutting, bulking, or maintaining

This way, eventually some light might be shed on the question of whether there is actually some anecdotal truth to the 200 lbs bench mark.

You'll have to wait a decade before I can get down below 200 lbs....

Nobody ever said one has to be under 200 lbs to be 70s big... Honestly, guys like us who are above 6' probably need to be way over 220 lbs, probably over 265 lbs to really look 70s big. The only time in my life I might really have made that list was around 12 years ago when I basically lifted all the time and weighed about 270 lbs.

Anyway, since I brought it up, and weigh way over 200 lbs, I do feel morally obliged to enter, if only for shits and giggles. I'll try my best not to look too weak :P

Rob and I have already agreed on the VOWADA protocol, and I also agree on the contest. That could actually be fun and make for some hilarious fotos. We could even split the sample in under and over 200lbs and compare the ratings. As the forums statistics nerd, I even volunteer to finally settle the 200lbs debate :D

My point exactly

Well, this should be fun!  :lol: 
I'm not sure what you mean by a Doug Young pose, though. 

Well, this should be fun!  :lol: 

I'm not sure what you mean by a Doug Young pose, though. 

Oh, I thought that would be obvious (just because this is the mental image I get when someone says "70s Big"):

dougyoung-395x400.jpg

will link it above.

Of course, I heartily approve of this contest, and I would be honored and humbled to serve as a judge if my fellow female IS'ers will join me. :)  

Of course, I heartily approve of this contest, and I would be honored and humbled to serve as a judge if my fellow female IS'ers will join me. :)  

I am SO in.

Oh my.

You know me. I'm never one to turn down the opportunity to look at strong shirtless men.

Oh, I thought that would be obvious (just because this is the mental image I get when someone says "70s Big"):

I suspected you meant that, but I got confused because you mentioned shorts, which are not visible in that picture. ;)

Plus I kind of hoped it would be this one.

tumblr_m2myeueVVT1r4q5r3o1_1280.jpg

I'm out.

Come on Doug, we just need to look strong. Get a good pump, play with the light and the angle...

I suspected you meant that, but I got confused because you mentioned shorts, which are not visible in that picture. ;)

Well, I would think this will do, too, but that's not up to me. We have a formal panel now :P

ETA: I just assume he's wearing shorts in the other one. This appears to be a singlet...

I am glad there are others out there who enjoy emphasizing their manhood with a laden bar as mush as I do.

I am glad there are others out there who enjoy emphasizing their manhood with a laden bar as mush as I do.

LOL.

It is damn near impossible when you're deadlifting a ton of weight.

That and for me, making funny faces..