Sign in to follow this  
BarbEricScotaku

Skipping The Protein Supps And Just Drinking More Milk?

Did some math this morning:

Milk (gallon): $3 for 8 "servings" [2cups] of 300 calories each (16g protein, 10g satfat, 6g unsat, 22g simple carb/sugar)
Thus: two glasses/shaker cups is thus 600 kcal, 32g protein, 20g satfat, 12g unsat, 44g sugar; $0.75 for this much

My protein supp of choice (Pro7ein Synthesis*): $70 for 57 servings (5 lbs) of 34g protein, insignificant fat/carb

Thus: ~$1.25 for 34g** protein at ~150 kcal (or $2.50 for 68g at 300 kcal, to compare to the above two-drinks-of-this-a-day)

You could combine, but that just brings the cost to $2 per normal-sized glass or shaker cup.

Cheaper proteins would certainly have a better price ratio, but I can't imagine it getting close to the cheapness of milk without getting Wal-Mart stuff. But anyway, this protein powder at least beats plain old whole milk in calories, but if you don't care or are bulking, and want to be a cheapskate, wouldn't it be better for your wallet to just drink more milk -- e.g., instead of glass of milk plus supp, drink two glasses of milk? Or am I missing something?

* Their chocolate is like NesQuik or something else normal and possibly boring. The caramel pretzel is... different. Some say it's akin to coffee with creamer. Even after using it for a month and a half I can't decide if I like it or not, it's just... interesting to the last scoop.

** Assuming this company isn't one of the reported over-priced, under-performing protein powders as many have called the supplement industry the "wild wild west" in regards to being flippant about ingredient quality, inflating reported protein grams, etc.; I have no idea how to check up on this. Possibly another reason to ditch protein powder?

It really depends on your goals, and your macro strategy. It is certainly possible to drop protein supplements altogether, depending on what you eat otherwise.

Personally, I've noticed it to be difficult in the beginning to hit my protein goals without whey isolate, but recently my protein intake through meals has increased significantly, so I could probably manage without the whey. (I try to get >40% of my kcals from protein and don't care so much for the split between carbs and fats, although I do eat more carbs on workout days, particularly around the workouts, and on rest days the scale often tip towards fats; it's not terribly scientific, just how I roll).

To drink more milk or even GOMAD is certainly an option IF you are bulking, but a lot of milk will likely make it difficult to manage carb intake. And considering your stats (BW at 266 lbs, squat below BW, DL just slightly over BW, bench below 50% of BW, press below 40% of BW), it might not be the right time to bulk.

Agree with Wolfman, I'd step away from the over consumption of milk if I were you.

There's no need at 266lb.

I ended up at 290lb+, it was fun but pointless really.

I guess it depends on your goal.

OPie weighs 266lbs and is squatting 225lbs (for reps).  He doesn't need GOMAD.

• Upvote 3