Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Fat Loss Dieting Check

Ok. It's been a while since I've been here. Not that I haven't been reading, but since I've posted anything. I have to come right out and admit that I am completely guilty of slacking and ruining a great streak that I had going for me a while back.

I am still doing the SL 5x5 program now, but my problem was that I stopped last year in December when I went on a cruise with my wife and for whatever reason I completely went out of my routine. I lifted for a week here and there between then and March and I got to the point where I just lost all interest in lifting. Even though I know it's my own fault and stupidity, I don't really know what kept me off the weights since that cruise. Well, the vacation has been over, and I've decided to get off my ass.

Here's my scoop. I've been going at it hard on SL 5x5 since the beginning of April and I've been very consistent. My diet didn't change too much. Just didn't do any overeating but the junk was still mixed in there. Finally, as of a couple weeks ago, the best thing ever has happened to me... My wife has started lifting with me.

I've been waiting for her to want to do this for over a year. She is so gung-ho and into this now that it's also given me a new perspective on it too. I love working out now more than ever because we're doing it together. We have both formed a pact a week ago. Our objective, whether it takes 6 months or 5 years, is to do everything right from here on out and get the bodies we've always wanted. I want to lose my midsection and get definition throughout my body, and she wants to lose some excess and get a good sculpt eventually too.

My main question for this is... We're both doing SL 5x5 at the moment. I'm just finally getting back up to squatting 270+ and catching up to all my other PRs, and she's been starting with the bar on the exercises and building up very well. I know that fat loss is all about diet and calorie intake, but as it stands right now I know nothing about macro counting and stuff life that. I have reading to do.

My main daily diet right now pretty much consists of this:

Breakfast: 2 or 3 eggs and a glass of 1% milk.

Lunch: Romaine hearts salad with some raw mushrooms topped with a can of tuna and catalina dressing.

Dinner: Usually another salad with dressing and a 4oz piece of either boneless/skinless chicken breast or a steak. (If payday was good that week!)

On workout days only I'll have 2 scoops of whey chocolate shake right after my workout.

I drink water and Arizona Diet Green Tea throughout the day. I've cut out nearly all breads, snacks, cupcakes, pies, candies, etc.

I eat something tasty for dinner like General Tso's chicken or something one day each weekend. I don't have dumplings or rice or anything else though. Just the Tso's and broccoli.

I figure that kind of diet all week can't be too bad for me right? I'm really trying to cut down calories and crap food hardcore while keeping my protein intake around 150 grams. I haven't lost any energy for workouts. I seem to get through them like I should. I make sure I get 8 hours of sleep on most days.

I know for a fact that I look better than I did a year and a half ago. My arms are not as fat-thick and my face has thinned out a little bit. The funny thing is I hardly lost any weight on the scale, but I don't really use the scale much anyway. If I keep eating the way I am and being diligent about my workout schedule, does it look like I'm doing things right for the goal I'm shooting for? I'm not asking to look like Arnold. I just want to look good and not be fat at all any more. Having my wife lift with me has really opened my eyes and has given my the mindset I think I've needed since I bought my weights. Now I just want to make sure I do the best I can.

I don't think that macros are all THAT important (other than protein).

If you are trying to add muscle, I think your protein intake is too low. The rule of thumb I've always heard is that you need 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight daily.

I also think that you need to determine what your calorie baseline is. There are elaborate methods I've seen posted, but I think it's easiest to just track how many calories you are eating daily and adjust from there.

This is the method I've been following for the past 6 months, and it seems to be working well:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

Slow and steady, and I'm not losing any strength.

Best of luck with your goals!