Sign in to follow this  
bosworth

Does Anyone Have Any Suggestions Or Thoughts On Eating Habits For An Person Who Works Out In The Early Mornings?

Does anyone else workout in the morning before 9am? or earlier like say 7am?

I've read, Eat Stop Eat - Carb Back Loading - Fuck Calories - Intermittent Fasting - LeanGains - and a myriad of other references on eating for a specific goals (IIFYM, I've counted calories)

All I want to do is maintain my weight (to best I can) while increasing strength - I know I know, I will get heavier - I just don't want to get chucky...current BF~18-20% (I'm happy with that, not to fat not to skinny)

I'm not saying any of these "diet" schemes haven't worked for me. And I have tried all of them for at least a period of 6-9 weeks at a time. Hell, I even went fully into a "Raw" diet for a few weeks once.

The only time I can make to workout is before work during the week (i.e. 6:30-9am).

~

Here is my current eating habits

Pre-workout: water and caffeine pills

Post-workout: green/fruit smoothie, 20-30 g protein (isolate to casein) + 1/2 cup oatmeal

for the late morning I'm not hungry - will drink coffee and water

Lunch (1-2pm) consists of some type of salad, nuts, fruit and meat (large enough to make me feel full)

When I get home (5-6pm) I'm horribly craving carbs - so I eat a 64oz cup of Cinnamon Toast Crunch with milk

6:30ish - Dinner is usually a small meal like sandwich w/ fruit or lean chicken/beef with veggies

~

I know this is not really the healthiest way to eat. My only gripe is that I don't have a lot of energy throughout the day. 

Is that a diet problem? I've been sleeping 7-9hrs a night. I drink only water throughout that day.

I'm really confused - I'm listening to my body as best I can - but I feel like I need to change or modify something.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on eating habits for an person who works out in the early mornings?

As post-workout I'd eat more, especially protein. Protein makes you feel more satiated, provided it comes from an unprocessed source. This is why on leangains it's recommended to break the fast with a high protein meal, say 100g. This is far off from the meal you break your fast with.

I don't think it's logical to eat cinnamon toast crunch with milk to stop cravings if all you're going to eat after that is a small meal. Doesn't sound too healthy. You're probably better off upping the protein in the post-workout meal mostly, a bit more at lunch, and then have a protein rich snack before dinner, which you could keep the same size.

One, you probably need to eat more, total.  I'd be pretty hungry if I ate what you did.

Two, I second Jasper's recommendation for more protein.  I try to get >150g/day, and I'm a short woman.

Three, what I've found to be helpful is to push the majority of my calorie consumption to dinner and beyond-ie, the meal(s) closest to my training the next morning.

For example, most of my week days go like this:

6:00 am (preworkout): water + 1/2 scoop, if that, of BCAAs

6:15-7:15 (lifting): water

8:30-1:00 pm: black coffee, 1 scoop BCAAs + 5g creatine in ~24 oz water (not with the coffee.  that'd be gross.)

1:00-4:00 pm: 3 hard boiled eggs, 1 scoop whey, water (330/2100 cal)

5:30-9:00 pm: large dinner + snacks to fill my macros (1770/2100 cal)

This way, most of my carbs and calories are only 10 or so hours removed from my next training session (because I prefer to lift on an empty stomach).

Jasper - I've been doing that. What do you do post workout?

A liter of milk and 200g of meat, usually lean. So that's like 900-1200kcal, 80g of protein.

Two, I second Jasper's recommendation for more protein.  I try to get >150g/day, and I'm a short woman.

6:00 am (preworkout): water + 1/2 scoop, if that, of BCAAs

6:15-7:15 (lifting): water

8:30-1:00 pm: black coffee, 1 scoop BCAAs + 5g creatine in ~24 oz water (not with the coffee.  that'd be gross.)

1:00-4:00 pm: 3 hard boiled eggs, 1 scoop whey, water (330/2100 cal)

Why do you wait 6 hours to have your first meal after training?

I work out at around 7 am on Thursdays and Fridays and what I've found to work best for me is to get mostly protein and fats early in the day after workouts, but not as the post-workout meal and to get most of my carbs later in the day and right before bed, that way all I need in the morning is coffee and protein before I workout.

If you workout in the morning it's to your advantage to eat your carbs at night and let fats fuel you after you work out.

• Upvote 1

Thx guys...I used to use MCT oil in the am, during the fasting. It's obvious I need to get that back into the diet. Went to store and got raw milk organic butter and coconut oil.

I bet my lack of energy is cause I'm not getting enough protein and fat, as you guys suggested. Mathiah I appreciate your simple perspective, fats all day till dinner.

Ok so...

Wake with coffee, butter, MCT + shot of raw milk.

Workout + water

1-2p: protein shake + creatine, eggs/meat salad

4-8p: protein shake, dinner with meat and carbs

Fast begins

Let's see how this works, so form of this...thanks again. Ill keep y'all posted

I workout between 6-6:30am and follow a schedule close to Frota.

Wakeup and I have preworkout or coffee

6-6:30am arrive at gym. While working out, drink a scoop of BCAAs and creatine with water.  Refill with water during workout.

Shower and drive to work.  At work I have a shake with 2 scoops of whey around 8:15am.  I am not hungry to eat a meal and it usually takes me 1/2 hour to drink the shake. 

11:30am - eat a large salad for lunch

3pm - healthy snack..a few hard boiled eggs, etc.

6:30pm - dinner

Until 9pm or so...all night snackathon which is where I usually screw up my eating.    I used to drink a casein shake at night but got out of the habit.

I train at 6:30am, wake up at 5am, full bacon and eggs for breakfast with ba litre of water and i'm good to go.

Small snack of whatever I want after training be it cookies, choc milk doughnuts whatever.

Lunch at 12.

Regarding rates of body mass change, you should feel pretty confident about the following:

• Gaining about 0.75 lbs a week is about as fast as you want to make sure it's mostly muscle you are gaining.  Muscle doesn't build faster than that unless you take vitamin S (the subject that cannot be named on this forum).
  • Losing between 1-2 lbs a week is about as fast as you want to make sure it's mostly fat you are losing (less if you are closer to your goal weight).
  • Getting as close to 8 hours sleep a night will ensure your body is doing all it can to build muscle and burn fat.  Consistently short-changing yourself here undermines your re-composition efforts.

It's easy to get hung up on a lot of details.  Just remember that you probably just need to adjust calories up or down by about 200 Calorie increments once you are in the ballpark.

If fat loss stalls out it's because of a couple of possibilities: you are eating more than you think (this is my primary reason), or your body has put on the metabolic breaks and you just need to eat maintenance for a couple weeks to stabilise things.

Why do you wait 6 hours to have your first meal after training?

Intermittent fasting.  If I eat breakfast, I just get hungry all day... which doesn't work well for sticking to a specific calorie level.  My appetite far outpaces my metabolism.

• Upvote 1

Eat more peanut butter. :P

I'd eat a meal before training. Maybe something easily digestible in your case if you train shortly after eating. It could even be a shake with carbs. I think this alone would help your training if your last meal is over 12 hours before your workout.

Personally I try to have some oatmeal maybe two hours before training and drink a shake with 50-80 grams of carbs while at the gym, in addition to my normal meals. This is what I do at the moment at least, I like to change things up if I feel a need for it. I feel a lot better training than I did on LeanGains. I also have some pre-workout candy, too!

when I trained in th AM I used to eat 3 boiled eggs, do for a walk, do some mobility work, then lift

after that I ate some more